Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Out With The Old

Options
  • 16-07-2024 6:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭

Hi guys.

My trusted decade old PC died a couple weeks ago. It was a tall tower build and I got the parts list recommendation from this very forum 😀. I gave it a temporary lease of life by transplanting a used board and OS drive into the case of my old PC. It won't last, as the used components are also about 10 years old and I sense it is on its last legs. I'm afraid to use it for anything other than browsing truth be told.

OK…..

1. What is your budget? [€1500]

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? [General purpose and work. Video editing/3D Modelling/Internet]

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? [No] Will buy key online

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? [Yes]

Storage: 1 x 2TB WD Red and 1 x 2TB WD Blue internal HDs.

I will also want a good sized SSD for windows and programs to run on.

5. Do you need a monitor? [Yes] Not included in budget. I have 2 AOC 27" monitors. I plan to upgrade them to 4k monitors 27/28". Recommendations welcome outside of posted budget. Any thoughts on this model?

5a. If yes, what size do you need. [27 or 28"] I could go up to about 30". Any bigger won't fit without modifying my built-in-desk.

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future?
     Will be upgrading very soon.

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? [No]

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? [No]

8. How can you pay? [Cash, Card, Bank Transfer]

9. When are you purchasing? [Inside of a week most likely. As early as tomorrow if the planets align for me]

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? [Should be OK to build. Previous experience]

So, here's where I am. I will use the existing storage from my PC in the new one, but I will want a brand new SSD for my C Drive. I have 2 OK monitors. I'm not likely to use them for the new build at all, as I will be donating my old PC to my Brother. I'm not including monitors in the budget, but I am hoping to get 2 good ones for around €500, bringing the total build to around €2k. Any thoughts on this model?

The PC is shared between myself and the OH. Kids occasionally use it for homework. She does browser based work, mainly working with MS Office and browser based stuff. I use it for Boards, YouTube, MS Office, and some Adobe products for photo/video editing. I also use some CAD and Sketchup. I want the system running without being stressed, so over-specced on graphics and RAM. I'd like to have the option of gaming on it, but in all honesty, I never used my current PC to game. My thinking is that if it's a good gaming PC, it will handle anything I throw at it.

I think I would like water cooled this time and I like the look of the systems below. I like clean styling and want something that doesn't make me think of a 1970s disco. I like the digital temp display too, but it's more the fact I like the look of it and it would be a nice touch. Here's a couple of examples of the design language I like.

Thanks for looking.

Stay Free

Advertisement