Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Transfer principle primary residence to new house

• 16-07-2024 7:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭

We Currently own and live in our primary residence.

Our new house is built and we want to now move in to this new property as our principle primary residence.

The new property is already listed on the revenue LPT website under my profile, along with my current primary residence.

We will not be selling our current residence, so it will become a non principle primary residence.

I've googled and can't seem to see where / how to make the new house my primary residence and my current house a secondary Non principle primary residence. Anyone know the process?

Thanks

Muppet Man

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭downtheroad

I don't think there is anywhere to register your PPR. Utility bills, postal records, changing your address on Revenue MyAccount would be sufficient evidence of your PPR I'd expect.

You could always send a MyEnquiry to Revenue to inform them of the change and ask them to change your address on record.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,766 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Whereever you live is your PPR.

To make the new house your PPR, move into it.

There is no official register of your PPR.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

Thx folks... that's simple and helpful.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

If I'm not mistaken and you plan on selling the house you currently live in then you may be subject to CGT if you move into the new house before the sale

Ya, that's my understanding too and I've taken that into account... thx.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭JVince

Totally incorrect.

You have 12 months to sell before becoming liable for any CGT.

If you rent it, then the CGT calculator starts on the first anniversary of it no longer being your PPR and then it is on a pro rata scale.

So if it was PPR for 9 years and then rented for 6 years before selling. Then 5 years become accountable for CGT.

Total ownership 15 years. CGT 5 years. CGT 30% of 1/3rd of the gain.

So if value increased 300k net in 15 years, CGT would be 30k on above example

Good info.

Thx @jvince - WOuld the same apply if I rented a room in my current old house) as a landlord rent a room scheme?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 347 ✭✭DFB-D

You need to nominate a PPR if you have more than one residence, within 2 years of obtaining the additional residence. Otherwise, a determination can be made on which property is your PPR for the time period.

This can be initiated through my enquiries on ROS or Revenue online.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 347 ✭✭DFB-D

Rent a room scheme does not impact PPR relief.

But if you don't reside in the old property whilst renting the room - ROR will not apply

• Advertisement
Advertisement