Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chimney - metal flue or not.

• 16-07-2024 10:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,454 ✭✭✭

My chimney has been cracked for a while now, last time it was cleaned the cleaner said it needs to be rebuilt. I contacted an accessor and he surveyed it, said the flue linings were damaged and went through my insurance and got me a payment to get it fixed. I have contacted 2 chimney repair companies and both have surveyed, 1 said he'd fit a solid metal flue with a 25yr guarantee and then he would replaster the chimney itself and and other said he'd knock the chimney to the roof and replace the existing flues with the same and rebuilt the chimney. Both about the same price, metal flue lad about 1k less.

My fire is a stanley Erin stove, lit daily as heats and provides our hot water.

Any views on the best option?

Post edited by Wearb on

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,454 ✭✭✭jamesd

My fear is with the guy using the metal flue and replastering the existing cracked chimney and that once he goes at it that he finds it bad under the plaster and asks for more money.

I asked the 2nd guy about a metal flue and he said it'd cost an extra 1k and not needed once he rebuilds it all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭10-10-20

I'm not a chimney guy, but I'd take the approach of trying to work out whether the chimney block work is unstable or not, that's the key thing here. Did the assessor provide a report? By the look of those horizontal cracks, it would be my personal opinion that there's potemtially something structural going on... so you need to know whether to address that quickly or whether a liner pipe will suffice to repair what's damaged.

Are there any leaks at the ceiling level?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,521 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Can't see how there's only €1,000 difference in those quotes.

Not your ornery onager

No leaks or anything inside, nothing showing at all. No report from the accessor, all verbal, said the chimley has damaged flues and needs to be rebuilt.

Yes it's a small difference isn't it compared to the level of work involved with the full rebuild.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 665 ✭✭✭Mr321

The half of the chimneys in the country have cracks like that on them. It's probably mortar cracks that's come true to the plaster.

Personally I've no time for the metal flues. Their just tin, maybe ok for a chimney only lit the odd night in winter, if your burning solid fuel etc I prefer the clay flues already tempered to meet that type of heat.

The chimneys being knocked and built back up would need new flashing also but I guess that's in the quote?

• Advertisement

Yes he said new flashing included in the rebuild.

Looking to get a 3rd quote now just to have 3 prices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 665 ✭✭✭Mr321

Out of interest was there a TV ariel ever installed onto that chimney in the past?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,392 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

We're using a flexible metal flue liner on a Waterford Erin stove as OP for 25+ years and still fine. The original chimney here though had no liners. But if I was OP and the chimney was built from fireplace up with clay liners, I'd go with second approach.

No never or anything else, all my ariels and dishes are on my garage.

Advertisement