Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ring Doorbell Wired

• 17-07-2024 11:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi all I was looking to replace my old doorbell with the ring wired version. I know I need to wire in 24v a/c transformer inside the original chime box. Problem is I don't see the old transformer to swap out. I was expecting to find a/c coming in and d/c going out to doorbell. Anyone recognise my mechanical chime attached and what they done to fit smart doorbell

. The house is about 22 years old.

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭Yeah Right

I bought a plug-in transformer for my ring doorbell. Means you don't have to wire it to the fuse board, you just plug it in.

My exact one isn't available any more, but this is a similar one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭drury..

Thats a picture of a chime

You might be better with what poster said above or another type of chime

You won't have the competency to do anything else tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Babyreignbow

I had a sparky come in and do the job, I thought I'd be able to connect to the old pre-wired chime set up but with the wireless chime that comes with the ring I don't think it was necessary and as I'm not an electrician couldn't say if he bypassed it completely and ran a new line, but there is a new line going to the fusebox.

(You'll find the wireless chime that comes with Ring is basically a necessity)

Use your mighty arms to slay the fierce enemy that is selfish desire

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭drury..

Last time i looked it was 24v ac direct from the trafo to the ring doorbell

Trafo would need to be rated for the job

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 75 ✭✭mick111112

your current doorbell push button is wired like a normally open switch breaking the current to the chime. With some small modifications to the wiring it should be possible to disable the chime and get 24v and 0v AC at the ring door bell. Your bell transformer is located at your mcb board and not at your chime. I would only recommend an Electrician to remove your mcb board cover. I used a echo flex for my internal chime as it just plugs into a socket and has other functions as well. The ring chime is just a chime and I think the echo flex is cheaper to buy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 TimmyTrumpet

The thing is I don't see a transformer. I just have the mechanical chime inside the enclosure. In the photo I attached there is only two wires, I think they go to the doorbell button switch at front door. I was expecting to find a transformer with a/c power coming in and d/c going out to bell switch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 75 ✭✭mick111112

The transformer won't be in the chime enclosure, it should be in the enclosure where your MCB's are located. looks like a cable is run out to the door bell and the chime from MCB enclosure and some connections made there also to complete the door bell circuit.

Thanks for that, I'll dismantle this and have a deeper look. The consumer unit is right beside it. The power in from the mcb could be fed in behind the eletromagnet hence why I can't see it. I seen online most old bells had the transformer and eletromagnet all in the same enclosure.

Thanks this is an option if I can't hard wire it into my existing wiring to door bell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Babyreignbow

Never heard of the flex, don't think it's available anymore. My original chime started dropping after about 2 years and eventually wouldn't reconnect. After running between my network provider and ring cs I managed to get them to send me out the updated chime pro 2 which is a 3 in 1, wifi extender, a nightlight and chime box. It's definitely an upgrade.

Use your mighty arms to slay the fierce enemy that is selfish desire

• Advertisement
Advertisement