Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Manager trying to back out of agreement to buy used work equipment.

Options
  • 17-07-2024 1:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭

I work in the IT department of a relatively large company.

One of my roles is to manage the admin of equipment that goes out and comes back again (mobile phones in particular). One item came back riddled with scratches on the screen and on the rear as well…if it was given back out to anybody else one could guarantee that they would bellyache about the screen etc and demand something newer/hipper etc etc. The nature of western consumerism.

I reached a written agreement from my manager (back in May) to buy the item in question based on the its visual status. He was also aware at the time that the device is still currently 'supported' by the manufacturer. This is all recorded in an email.

Tomorrow is my last day in the company (before I am forced to use up my holiday allowance, so I am still 'on the books' a while yet).

He has now decided that he needs it back ASAP. The basis being that it is still supported. This is a company that also had the bobs to buy 300 much newer devices at the start of year (most still sitting in a box in the storage room).

I have forwarded him a copy of the written email agreement between us.

Still waiting for a reply

Is this totally prickish of him, or can he reasonably expect it back despite a prior agreement between us??

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭tphase

Assuming you've paid for it, have it your possession and about to leave the company, there's not a lot he can do to force you to hand it back.

You could have told him you sat on it or dropped it in the toilet but he'll hardly believe you now

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭galwayguy85

Tick the boxes for most of those. In the reply to the email (in May), he explicitly asked me to keep a note of the purchase and that it would later be put through the staff purchase program. He also wrote in the email he simply "did not have the time" to take things any further.

This morning I reminded him via email (despite sitting just meters apart), that I would like to get on with things and pay for it before I leave. I could have just taken advantage of things and vanished off to my new job without announcing it and nobody would've notice it. Being honest gets you nowhere.

Not my problem that he didn't/couldn't help me with payment when the agreement was formed. A printed copy of the emails between us has been just left on his table. Cannot pretend he didn't see it.

A pity that there is such tension between us when I am leaving. Got on very well otherwise the whole time I was here.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭CrookedJack

If you haven't paid for it yet, and he is too busy to deal with it, why would he take time to put it through the staff purchase scheme now considering you're leaving. It's of absolutely no benefit to him to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,612 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

I don't see why you'd bother. Hand it back and tell him to stick it where the sun don't shine and keep your own money

True enough. Got a very good price despite the brutal condition it came back in, its a matter of principal to me. Most shops that sell 'previously loved' electronics would probably give you less than back than €50 when you trade it in. I'll suck it up if needs be, and leave a poor (but entirely factual) review on Glassdoor. No names mentioned etc. A sad outcome for something of microscopic consequence to their bottom line.

I'm in a jurisdiction where an employer is forced by law to give a reference letter and cannot write anything (outwardly) negative about former employees. I don't want to be such a prick (sorry mod), otherwise I might suggest a mutual compromise on another item I can buy from the staff discount store.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

You can't make them sell it, they've changed their mind. Wouldn't bother with the review if it mentions the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,480 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

This sounds petty on both sides.

You want him to do you a favour on your way out the door, he is busy and couldn't really be bothered keeping you happy. And frankly he probably has better things to be at than dealing with 2/h goods.

And thats assuming he doesn't genuinely see a benefit to keeping a good 2/h phone around, its not like he will get to keep the money so perhaps he'd rather have the equipment in case a situation occurs where it comes in useful.

Leaving a bad review just sounds really bloody petty to be honest. Shouldn't you be more worried about your next role than about a damaged phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,980 ✭✭✭893bet

I would seriously grow up. You are throwing a hissy about buying some banged up phone and you leaving the company.

Printing emails and leaving on his desk as if it was a contract is hilarious. Have some dignity for **** sake.

Just bringing to his attention something he had forgotten to take care of months earlier. The price/condition etc is somewhat second place here. They would also be entitled to seek the return of an item that I (or anybody else) had taken from the store (and signed the receipt for etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 18,480 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

You do know that people come around again, right?

What I mean is, you are leaving today, but in 1 year/5 years/10 years you might find yourself reporting to these people again, or applying to a new company where they also work, or they might be friends with somebody else you want to work for.

And you are going to burn these particular bridges over a damaged mobile phone?

• Advertisement

I completely take your point. In a job (or in life in general), if you agree to something, like selling an item at a particular price (or, for example, holding up your end of the deal when getting in a round of pints) and latter backing out of, it tends to reflect poorly on one's self.

I'll have another diplomatic, but assertive conversation with him tomorrow about how things have turned out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭Hooked

Is he from Clare? Might explain it… LOL

Sounds like he's just doing it to thwart you (before you leave). And as it isn't paid for - you'd be worse for making an issue of it, after the fact. It's only badly scratched phone FFS?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,286 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Sounds like ye are well matched! And if you are in the jurisdiction I'm thinking of there is a statutory obligation to return all property of an employer and there is a criminal offence of industrial espionage! Time to get out the popcorn….

• Registered Users Posts: 13,707 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Or you could just move on, like a reasonable person.

Not from Clare, sorry boss. Didn’t even spend a whole lot of time in the city referenced in my user name. LOL.😂

I grew up a bit further south, but living abroad these days

Not sure what what the craic is in Ireland, regarding reference letters, good or bad

It’s in writing (the bit about buying the phone) from him, so I will politely hold my ground.

New job, higher salary, 30 days holidays, WFH, paid travel expenses etc is around corner. I think I might’ve picked a bad time to leave the firm (all while following the notice period etc in my contract).

He and my soon to be ex-colleagues are going to be under a lot of stress in the coming weeks, so I guess that that there is a human factor is his somewhat sudden and vindictive tone towards me. Que sera, sera.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭whippet

Dude - just finish up work and chalk it all down to experience. Talk of Glassdoor, written contracts etc is just childish. As you are at pains to point out you are on the pigs back with your new job …. just leave with a bit of grace and dignity.

Your soon to be former boss really has no reason to do anything for you and by the sounds of it your reaction is making him double down on his lack of interest in sorting out the phone.

From someone with plenty of experience i'd suggest acting like a rational adult here will benefit you more in the long run. You can have imaginary arguments / discussions with him while you are in the shower or car all you want afterwards.

He caved in (in the last 30 mins) and let me buy it. A happy ending. Keep everything regarding cash/bank transactions stored safely ,with your employer and anybody else. That's what Judge Rinder said!

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭eurokev

My God…. I'd say the boss is going to be happy to see the back of you. You come across as an all merciful dose altogether

Just ensuring that folks don't back down on something they have agreed to. :-)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Pointless writing a glassdoor review. It’s a worthless site and most people know a negative review is to be taken with a huge pinch of salt.

Your manager could be under pressure to reduce the number of new devices purchased etc (plenty of large businesses impose budget restrictions to improvement ratios etc when it doesn’t seem like they need to do so).

• Advertisement
Advertisement