Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New way to paint fences

• 17-07-2024 2:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,050 ✭✭✭✭

Every year I have to paint my fences.

It there anything I can use that has a long last effect on the fence that going beyond a year

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭JVince

Cuprinol 5 year ducks back fence paint is particularly good. About €40 for a tub, but well worth it

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭norabattie

Yeah I switched to Cuprinol too. Definitely lasts longer than fence paints for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,549 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Another fan of Cuprinol, apply 2-3 coats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,050 ✭✭✭✭cena

I have been using the ducks back for 4 years. Repainting it every year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,549 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,050 ✭✭✭✭cena

Very dry and rotting away. Min it gets 2 coats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I use Cuprinol, and still have to do it every year.

Don't believe the 5yr lie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,265 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

I use Ducks Back but it's still an annual job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 839 ✭✭✭cobham

Ronseal fence life

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,418 ✭✭✭secman

We used masonry paint 5 years ago having tried all the usual suspects of tge fence paints, one particular brand was so bad coverage wise , we had to buy numerous 10L tubs of it. Best thing we ever did, coverage was outstanding and the longevity of it has us smiling.

Only on Sat gone we happened to be in a well established paint store in the Southeast and overheard one of the sales person advising a couple about trying a masonry paint as they said they had tried all the various fence paint products and nothing lasted long enough to justify using them again. We couldn't resist telling them about our result using masonry paint.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Burnt oil

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,969 ✭✭✭billyhead

Anytime i paint the garden fence I give it 4-5 coatings to last about 3 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Poulgorm

I bought a timber shed for my garden many years ago. A neighbour of mine bought a similar shed (same brand).

I painted my shed every year. My neighbour never painted his.

After about 13 years, both of our sheds were rotten. In fact, I think that his shed was in slightly better condition than mine.

We replaced them with PVC coated steel sheds. Much a better job - just wash them down annually to remove green mould.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 839 ✭✭✭cobham

Our shed has lasted nearly 35 yrs, regularly Fencelifed and a new felt roof at one stage tho old was fine/not leaking. I am working on emptying it with view to replace. Big price range for steel from £200 with Amazon to 1000's…. I suppose a full concrete base would be needed too so another expense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭standardg60

Indeed, there's a reason why the likes of Weathershield is three times the price for the same size tub. Most of the fence specific products are pretty much coloured water.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Sterlingwork

While we are on the topic..any suggestions for treating railway sleepers? I have quite a few in the garden looking quite weathered. I have used creasote but a. It is not good for the environment and b. It doesn’t last for long. Any suggestions for an alternative ? Thanks

Advertisement