Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

We’ve Only Just Begun 2024

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Somebody keeps farting nearby. Once was bad, two is getting towards unforgettable. 🤢

Qbanaa

Latino with a dub accent. Really good.

So it’s a festival organised by women for female/non-binary bands. Lady called Shona has been mentioned several times.
    Really well run.

I was organising a School Battle of the Bands as a fundraiser a while ago and I budgeted for 20mins on/off between bands. Didn’t happen in the end, health & safety nonsense. I wasn’t far off though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,088 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

I love the fact they didn't make a big deal about it being female/non-binary in advance, feels like a much more genuine way of simply promoting the talent. The fact you were there a couple of days before noticing is (I think) pretty cool

They’re running out of order and because there’s no MC, no idea who’s on now.

I don’t do MOTR but crowd loved them.

The Cliffords 

The bass player also does trumpet - Legend!

• Advertisement

Cabl 

Yes! More noise.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Gillman1998

totally agree re Shark School, saw them last weekend at All Together Now and I thought they were really impressive

^ Really catchy riff in their second to last song.

Whelan’s is packed. Not sure if they all paid in to the festival and looks like most of the them just want to drink.

Anyways, great three nights of live music for €15.00. They learnt their instruments, wrote the songs and then performed them in front of strangers. Well done everybody!

Yeah, I agree.

But it’s a format that would work with a good few genres. Would definitely do that again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 268 ✭✭CoffeeImpala

I think in this case the sound desk was given the wrong bit of paper. The acts played in the order given on the email sent out. Although the second and third acts started 15 minutes late.

Given that the Cliffords seem to have started on time I assume the late start was somewhat planned to avoid a big gap later on. I certainly hope Lucy Blue's guitarist didn't actually need the 15 minutes he seemed to take tuning two guitars. Her sad pop was not as good as when I'd previously seen her. It might just be that the track was too loud and drowned out the vocal a bit.

I went upstairs before the end to catch most of Martina and the Moons. These are very good. My notes from previous gigs say they start out at the light end of indie rock and build to a heavier sound through the set. Tonight seemed to be just all heavy.

Given the late running downstairs I think I made it back before Annie Dog started. These were good but I suspect there were issues with the sound mix in the early songs. I left before the end to catch what turned out to be a last minute replacement upstairs.

She said she would be playing Artlot on Friday. Looking at the acts on the poster and the cadence I think she said her name is Kyla Belle. Just her and a guitarist on stage with no track. She did a cover of "What Was I Made For?" and a lot of the set sounded like the down beat end of Billie's catalogue. I'd go to again.

Cliffords and CABL both very good as Gloomtastic! said. Theo I'll hold off commenting on but she has potential.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭TenPicnics

Advertisement