Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Racism and nepotism in workplace

Options
  • 18-07-2024 12:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

Hi I work in a large company in Ireland.

Trying to get the point across here without giving anything to identify the company in any way as I still work there.

There are a lot of departments in my workplace. A huge amount of non Irish people work there. However every single one of the department managers: are irish.

This causes problems.

For example two of the managers are irish, and in their early 20s. They have no qualifications and no managerial experience, and they are really bad managers. They haven't a clue what to do.

And we have a lot of technical questions that need to be answered and approved by them.

Both of them are related to other managers in the company.

Eg they are someone's nephew.

Recently, one of my Indian colleagues, who is highly trained, and highly knowledgeable and has a masters degree in the area, went for an interview to be a manager, but a young irish person with not the same qualifications was promoted over him .

A lot of us that work there (both irish and non Irish) have commented on it. I'm irish if it matters. It just seems ridiculous that they would make someone a manager just because he's someone's nephew. When he has no qualifications, no experience, and is causing a lot of issues because of it. When if they had actually gotten someone with education and experience, all of our jobs would flow easier

I mean there's nothing I can really do about it, as its who you know in that place.

Just wondering, has anyone else experienced that?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,960 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

It happens.

Outside of government jobs nepotism is allowed. Some family businesses exist only to employ family members who struggle to get the jobs they want elsewhere.

Now racism is not allowed. You could take a case to the WRC about not getting the job due to race, or to a proxy factor for race like family membership. You might win. But you probably won't change the underlying attitudes.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭who what when

I don't believe there's any racism at play in the examples you gave. It's just nepotism plain and simple. Those two guys got their jobs because they were related to the right people. It wouldn't have mattered if the competition were white, black, blue, yellow or any other colour - they weren't getting the job.

Nepotism in the workplace is a hugely frustrating thing for anyone remotely ambitious.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭who what when

I remember one time working for a guy who was an absolute gentleman in a very small business. His son was the heir to the thone but in every way the polar opposite of his father. Dictionary definition of narcissism.

We didn't get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,211 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

The first generation makes the money, the second minds the money, the third spends the money.

Rinse and repeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭Ted222

It doesn’t sound like a good or progressive company to work for. It stinks but that’s the way it goes sometimes.

Consider working for another company with better values.

• Advertisement
Advertisement