Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pittosporum lost it's leaves!

• 18-07-2024 1:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

I'm hoping that someone can provide a small bit of guidance to a beginner gardener!

I planted Pittosporum last year, in a small hedgerow in the front garden. I planted it in September last year when it was about 18inches tall, and it has grown maybe 6 inches since then. I added some Westland Growmore (8 weeks ago), and then covered the ground around it with antiweed fabric and some bark mulch.

I water in the evenings, pretty regularly (I could probably do more), but about 3 weeks ago 3 of the plants have lost all of their leaves and appear to be dead. Last week I discovered my neighbours cat has been using it as a bathroom and also stretching out for a nap there, so I presume that this is what caused it - because the cat was lying exactly where the dead plants are.

I've put down some cat repellant pellets, which so far seems to have deterred the cat.

Are these plants now a lost cause, or is there something I can do to revive them?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,810 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Its very unlikely that it will rally if it is as completely dead as you suggest. I doubt it was the cat tbh, and with the weather conditions since last year it wouldn't really have needed much watering, if any. Its most likely that it never got started, I guess if you dig it up you will find the same pot sized rootball as when you planted it.

Pittosporum are pretty easy going - I planted one that was rootbound in a pot, about 2-3 foot high, that a neighbour gave me, it got very unceremoniously pushed into the ground, it thrived and is now about 6ft high.

They are very attractive trees but be warned that they can grow very big, full sized tree high and wide, so it might not be the best for a small area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭standardg60

They've been dying for a while prior to the leaves falling off as that doesn't happen overnight. The leaves would go brown first and then slowly shed. Perhaps they are Tom thumb and you didn't notice them dying off.

Anyway they won't recover if the leaves are gone, as above I wouldn't be sure the cat is to blame either, it can just happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 shazaaaaam

Thanks for the fast replies and the info. I'll call off the hitman hired for the cat so :)

Maybe I'm the problem so, by over watering it.

I believe the variety I have is Pittosporum Arundel Green. My plan is to keep it at 6ft - it's mostly for privacy from the curtain twitching neighbours and their "conveniently" located cctv camera.

Does it require pruning at any stage or can I leave it as is until it starts to take the shape that I want it to?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭standardg60

You'd normally trim them as they grow to keep them dense as they don't like hard pruning. Slope inwards from bottom to top.

If you post a pic of them inc. the dead ones we could better advise

• Registered Users Posts: 5 shazaaaaam

I'll take a pic when I get home this evening! :)

Thanks again - I really appreciate the help.

• Advertisement
Advertisement