Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Getting experience

• 18-07-2024 3:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi Guys l am new to motorbikes, just started doing the IBT and l am not sure if l will be good enough after the few days.

So l am just looking for advice if l don't pass it this time how do l get experience.

Buy a bike anyway and find somewhere to practice or what do you think and advice..

Maybe someone else here had a similar issue.. Thanks

Answers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 126 ✭✭Spooch

Generally if you fail, you will just have to do the IBT again as you wont legally be covered to drive even in an empty car park. Alternatively get a cheap bike somehow and practice yourself anyway, but be prepared that if you get hurt or damage the bike you have no cover.

Same with anything, perfect practice makes perfect.

Ask yourself why you feel you're unsure if you'll be good enough, and where you need to improve, and focus on that area until you build up your ability. Speak to your IBT instructor and let him know your fears/worries. Any instructor worth their salt will guide you well.

Everybody starts from the same spot, it will all come down to how determined and willing you are to put in the training.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Mas12

Cheers appreciate the advice..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 448 ✭✭gerarda

It's just confidence and getting used to the feel of the bike really. I'm on a bike since last October and wasn't comfortable about going beyond 2nd gear and wouldnt leave my estate! Now I love it! Just take your time and relax and learn to work with the bike.

Thanks appreciate that, l accept that it will take time,so yeah I need to relax.

Thanks..

Looking forward to having a bike...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Mad_Lad

OP Did you pass the IBT ?

I did my IBT last August, got a tmax 500 to learn on , it's given me a lot of great experience, going for A test on instructors bike,. test is next Friday !

I have to practice more, the head turn before signal and moving, that's a big one and I failed to stop at a stop sign, you know, I kept rolling instead of coming to a complete stop, just bad habits I have to get rid of before Friday.

For the slow stuff just give a bit of rev, use clutch and rear brake. Keep away from that front brake for the slow stuff, once on the open road above about 40 Km/h you can use your front brake, 2 fingers only, don't grab.

Relax and don't tense up your arms and move your head in the direction you want to go.

The only real way to drop the bike is to slow down, when the bike is under power it naturally wants to keep up, Pressing the front brake hard will make you drop the bike in U-Turns and all that. Even when doing a right turn you can use the clutch and rear brake to turn more smoothly and if you feel the bike going a bit wide put some more pressure on the rear brake.

A lot of new riders are thought to avoid front brake, this is true for slow speeds but in bends a lot of people are told not to brake, do your braking before the bend, this is very bad advice, you can brake in a bend if you use 2 fingers and pull slowly at first then give a bit more if needed while already on the front brake, this worked great for me as a new rider because In the beginning I wasn't always sure what speed to take a bend and still now if I go in a little fast I just gently press the front brake then give it a bit more and it pulls me right in then give it the beans on the way out.

• Advertisement

Thanks for that, the IBT is still a work in progress for me unfortunately but with work and lack of experience.

But l have made progress.

I really appreciate the advice man.

The very best of luck in the test and by the sound of it l am shore it will work out..

Thanks again...

By the way I passed the A test , was banned so couldn't reply. LOL

So any update from your Mas12 ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 586 ✭✭✭sonyvision

Is the IBT short for initial basic training? I was in the same position and spoke to the instructor. He said not to worry and it'd his job to teach me the skills needed.

Got the IBT I was still nervous and the instructor just gave me a few follow up lessons. Full A now but no longer on the bikes.

Cheers for that.

I managed to get there in the end, so recently bought a bike, so practice time next onwards and upwards..

• Advertisement

Its slow process but l have so much to learn about the bike and myself 😁.

But l have to say l love feeling of being on a bike. It's seriously different than the relatively unconnected experience you get in a car.

I hope you have given up bikes completely.

Thanks for asking

Covid put a stop to it, had the bike parked up wasn't going anywhere and working from home. Lost interest and couldn't be bothered anymore with it so just sold it on. I do miss it from time to time and appreciate why people love it. My dad love his and its opened up so many doors for him.

I would be tempted to buy another one but my other hobbies take up all my time.

That's fair enough , very understandable, it is hard to fit everything, but as long as you doing something you enjoy, it s all good.

Well suppose you have to do whatever you think is best but at least you have the full license and can go back to biking whenever you want.

"It's seriously different than the relatively unconnected experience you get in a car."

That's one way you could describe cars these days especially electric which give a very disconnected appliance like driving experience. Loaded with tech to distract from driving as much as possible and I'll never understand it, from customisable digital instrument clusters on the fly to being able to browse podcasts and spotify playlists while driving and scroll through menus on the big screen infotainment centre, it's absolutely bonkers.

Anyway, one reason I love biking is their simplicity, although the bike manufactures are loading their bikes with tech which is mostly not optional, big screens with information overload and android auto and apple car play, on a bike ffs, absolutely outrageous in my opinion, take a look at the Honda NT1100, absolutely hate it vs the ST1300 Pan European or even the Deauville 700.

It seems manufacturers are loading cars and bikes with tech of course because they can justify the high price tag and just for the sake of it because everyone has screens in their faces all day why not when riding or driving ? madness and one of the reasons I enjoy biking is to be separated, free from screens and all the annoyance it brings.

I love the tmax 500, it's a great bike but I can't wait to get a normal bike definitely don't like those stick bug shape sporty bikes with all screen for dash so will have to stick to old bikes or modern classics like the Triumph T100 or Z650 RS, Royal Enfield etc just a shame Honda make such atrocious looking modern bikes , of course, in my opinion and not only Honda.

The only Honda's I like today are the Cub 125 and the Shadow , the Shadow is no longer available in Europe of course but even that has changed, all black no chrome. Dull, The Cub 110 to me is far nicer though and not available in Europe.

I took the tmax out for 110 miles on Friday and 90 miles Yesterday and around 75 miles today, love every minute of biking and it's still a pretty new experience. We'll see how much riding I do in the Winter.

So true.

Enjoy and stay safe..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

whatever you do, make sure to keep that A renewed. You never know when you might use it, so after getting this far, hold hold on to it.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

No doubt I'll be keeping it! I never regreated getting a bike or selling it on. Just got to adaptive to the times.

Back on topic! Get the IBT done with a good instructor then pratice pratice pratice. I found getting out early Sunday mornings were the best on roads I know well. If I stalled so what! After a few months it's second nature just nice and slow! Remember you can always acceleration through a corner but braking is a lot harder!

Thanks

That's my plan plenty practice now

• Advertisement
Advertisement