Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can we stop the “if you point out republicans are ahead”- you’re a sex offender posts please?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,494 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,353 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Just picking this up now as I've been largely absent from modding and my Admin duties for a few weeks.

This is not sitewide feedback and should really be in Help Desk, but I'll leave it here for now

Until today we had 3 "main" US political threads. One on the Biden presidency (Trump comments should be incidental), one discussing Trump following the 2020 election (Biden comments should be incidental, as should discussion of whoever the Democratic nominee may be), and one discussing the 2024 election.

Most of the "news" about Trump since the 2020 election has concerned his legal cases (mainly criminal ones). They have been discussed extensively including the one where the judge stated he had raped someone. Are we supposed to pick and choose what cases should be referred to? Should one criminal case be out of bounds?

The 2024 election thread OP (posted by me) states

"Neutral ground for all your election talk. However some ground rules. This is not a thread for you to say the sort of things that may have got you banned from one or other existing thread covering the 2 candidates. It is not a thread for "Sleepy Joe", "Dementia Donald" or the like. It's not a thread for posters to accuse other posters of "supporting a rapist". It is not a thread to discuss Trump's legal cases - that can be done in the Trump thread. Basic civility is expected."

(my emphasis for the purpose of this thread)

If you feel comments on the "rape" case in the Trump thread are excessive then please report. There should be no such references in the 2024 election thread or Biden presidency thread. Any reference to Trump in today's thread concerning Biden's decision to withdraw from the 2024 election should be mainly incidental. There is no reason to refer to the "rape" incident in that thread, the Biden thread or the 2024 election thread. Again please report if you think any of those threads are going down that route

Edit - I actually forgot there is also the attempted assassination thread

• Registered Users Posts: 6,080 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Thanks for your reply- the reason for this thread is that some posters have been called “rape sympathisers” or similar - can you please reply with your guidance on such abuse of posters.
    edit sorry I see the reference now- thanks.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,353 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Firstly all 4 threads are very active. They all deal with discrete elements of the US political situation. Having them all in a single thread with one set of rules would, based on what I saw ahead of the 2020 election, be chaotic. There are so many things going on with US politics at present a single thread would be jumping all over the place and would not facilitate discussion of all these issues in a structured way.

Trump and the news surrounding him has made discussion of US politics a hell of a lot messier. If he wins this year's election we may end up within one main thread, but his profile (and indeed ego) is so immense I think the current way we deal with US political "Current Affairs" makes it easier for users to follow the discrete but substantial issues that are currently happening in the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,368 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Taking those points on board it might be worth restricting the scope of the Biden presidency thread to his presidency and actions. He has announced he is not running for re-election.

There is already an election thread.

Feels like discussion of the selection of the Democratic candidate should be in that thread.

Just something to consider if it would make moderation easier.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement

That falls under the "attack the post, not the poster" principle. Please report such incidents.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,836 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

That doesnt seem to work Beasty Im afraid.

The anti Trump fanatic basically spend all day every day baiting and antagonising anyone who disagress with their mantra.

They gang up on other posters and mass report posts so as to keep the threads as echo chambers filled with hatred and bile.

Im pretty sure there is sock puppeting going on too.

Look at this post, with 16 Thanks still there on the thread after almost 20 hours

I guarantee if I posted that about another poster, I would get a warning and the post would be deleted in minutes.

Another time I received a warning for using the word snivelling, whilst the poster who previously used the same phrase 3 times towards me had no punishment, his posts werent even removed.

One of these 3 incidents was a quote in the post I was warned for, which makes it even more ludicrous.

Its double standards and the moderators are aiding and abetting it.

8 hours later and that post "You are a sad troll" is still not removed.Post #22060.

Its been there well over a day now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,494 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Its been reported multiple times by different posters.

• Advertisement

A day later and its still there. "You are a sad Troll"

Thats the sort of moderation we have here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,513 ✭✭✭Dave0301

Not sure that there needs to be a ???? v Trump thread and a Harris v Trump thread as it seems certain she will get the nomination.

Three threads instead of 4 might make it easier to follow.

Yeah seems like that'd make sense… the Harris v Trump thread was started later.

Probably it should be closed and the original ???? thread renamed to Harris and let posters post away there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

Is there anyway we can get a strictly moderated thread. The impact of this election is going to hit us here in Ireland pretty quick and it would be great to have a space to discuss the pros and cons of the foreign policies (and domestic US policies) that will affect us…every thread gets railroaded by people interjecting the usual accussations (Russia, Rapist, Facist, Racist, et etc), I'd love to hear the view of the moderates. We could leave the other threads to everyone and everyone. It's tiresome watching each thread get destroyed by the same posters/same type of posts. The world will keep spinning in November no matter who wins, it'd be nice to hear all views on what to expect.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,080 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

As the person who started this thread a few observations and suggestions:

1. I started this thread because I was called a “rapist supporter” - to the more than one posters who said that to me - FOAD
    2. I was called a troll in THIS thread multiple times by a poster who I haven’t interacted in in over 6 months at least - they have never posted in the threads relating to the presidential election in the last few months - again FOAD to you- I’m not a troll and you have serious problems stalking my posts - get help / and no I didn’t report your posts- I thought I’d just call you out for the coward that you are- whoever you are
    3. I’m glad to report that in my experience at least things have settled down on the treads - yes there’s a few trolls but very obvious and poor and they’re being treated with fun replies - I’m totally enjoying “Donald Trump” poster also (not a troll in my eyes I might add) playing their role - this is said /mentioned in the context of the next point in relation to separating out the “fun” from the “serious”
    4. There will be a “lull” for a few weeks until Democratic candidates get officially approved - then things will take off- could I suggest that we have 2 threads - a “fun” thread and a serious discussion thread? It’s simple, it gives a “release” valve and might just reduce the tension further but especially when the election takes off proper
    5. Finally thanks for those above highlighting their own abuse experiences - my advice probably is “move on” now - the abusive posts I complained about and as a result started this thread as a result, are there too -threads are moving too fast for any significant mod “clean up” - especially as they’re too few mods now- if we can agree a simple road ahead, it might make for some good posting, discussion but more importantly fun too.

Post edited by Oscar_Madison on

Isn't that what the Politics forum is for?

If it was opened up in CA, it would just be descended upon by posters threadbanned from Ukraine, Israel etc threads, and go down the same route.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I think OP that your point has been proven by the descent of this thread into the same "Trump IS a rapist" argument as on the main ones, instigated here by the same rabid poster(s) that for whatever reason seem to take it all soooo PERSONALLY!!

American politics is a broken mess. It's so polarised and divisive that the losers are the actually moderate candidates/electorate and yet we have that same mindset infesting threads on a small Irish discussion forum an ocean away.

It's nonsense. We here are merely interested observers. I get that there are some US-based posters who obviously have more of a direct stake in the outcome but know your audience FFS!

For what it's worth, as I've said, I don't think EITHER Trump nor Biden are/were fit for the job. I can't see Harris changing that, but we'll find out in a few months anyway…

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭tibruit

So I went for help and the fella I sought the help from advised me that if I am not actually interacting with an individual on an online public forum, then I cannot possibly be stalking that person. So that`s good to know. What does FOAD mean? Is it nasty or nice?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,758 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

I think boards needs some balance in moderation you can't all be left leaning and allow the same bunch of posters attack anyone who might have a differing opinion, just need to look at that new Kamala thread to see how bad it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,327 ✭✭✭archfi

All of the Trump-Biden-Assassination-TrumpvHarris-???vTrump threads in CA/IMHO are an utter disgrace to the site tbh.

Although I can see the object of siloing off the mostly deranged and obsessive posters (mainly and weirdly Irish-based US Democrat party 'supporters'), one thread should suffice and possibly with zero moderation - let all the nuts at it, let them pat each other on the back - they mostly are being let anyway.

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Yes, maybe a mod warning on each of the threads to say no rules apply.

The rules clearly don't apply to several posters, so it would make things fairer if posters who are insulted could respond in kind without getting banned.

Well said.

They are a deranged bunch, who frequent the Trump threads, some of them do not exist outside those threads.

That is all they post about, all day every day, 365 days a year.

Its an extremely unhealty mindset to have. Its not good to have such hate for one man.

They have the audacity then to call other posters biased and unobjective, talk about the pot calling the kettle black.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,765 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Very fine people on both sides.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

There’s something really weird about Irish Trump “supporters”. Wonder is it too much exposure to American culture when they were younger or something?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,792 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I'm related to a few, unfortunately and come across as deranged.

This looks like another tedious play for shutting down all criticism of Trump, nothing else.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 12,758 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Mod just proved my point on the Kamala thread. One rule for the TDS gang and another for the rest of us.

Having read the threads I don't recall too many claiming to be Trump supporters.

You could say you don't want Trump to win but bring up a negative about Biden/Harris and you have grown men shouting rapist in a flurry of posts.

I find it far more weird that a handful of irish anti Trump people spend all day and night over multiple threads shouting racist, rapist shill etc, it is quiet sad to be so obsessed in politics of a country you don't live or vote in, where you spend your days on boards shouting about it.

That's the point. They don't "claim" to be Trump supporters, they pretend to be "objective" or "centrists".
    And yet they never post unprompted criticisms of Trump \ MAGA types.
    Always the unprompted criticisms are towards Democrats or Trump opponents.
    Transparent double standards. Never hold Trump to the same standard as the politicians they do attack.

It is quite obvious they are Trump supporters, but know if they state it, they will be asked questions they cannot answer about Trump's vile conduct. It is a tactic.

If you don't want Trump to win, why would your opening posts be saying something negative about Democrats? Curious isn't it. You would think that would be important to mention.

As for the rest of your post, the irony of complaining about posters being 'obsessed' while also admitting to having read the threads. Why are you even reading them then, if that is what you think.

You couldn't have proven my point more if you tried.

If people don't criticise Trump they are pretending to be centrists, maybe your rants would be better suited to the conspiracy forum.

How childish does someone have to be with an attitude like that on a forum, especially an Irish person talking about American politics.

If people do support Trump then so what, they are adults and don't need to justify themselves to you or anyone, all you want is an echo chamber to rant about Trump and shout down anyone who doesn't agree with ye.

Maybe the mods might create a specific thread where ye can spend your days foaming at the mouth about Trump and anyone who isnt into engaging in childish behaviour could have a dedicated thread to actually discuss the topic like adults.

In regards your last point, I try to keep up with the latest news and browse threads when walking the dog before and after work.

You spend all days and night posting on a thread and call me obsessed for glancing through current affairs to pass time while walking.

• Advertisement

If you don't think there's posters on the thread who are Trump supporters claiming to be 'centrists' or whatever, you clearly haven't been reading the thread. No conspiracy theory needed. Although I should add, there are also posters on the threads peddling conspiracy theories under the transparent "just asking questions" schtick.
    We also seem to have a persistent re-regger who tries to drag the threads into "anti woke" drivel.

Where did I call you obsessed? Well? I said no such thing.
    They were your words, not mine. Own them.

Given that you have falsely accused me of calling you 'obsessed', that should be an indication to readers of the thread that your claims about the various CA threads have no credibility.

As for the rest, ah right - so the posters whose output you are consuming are 'obsessed', 'childish' and 'foaming at the mouth'. But you still read the posts! Posts you are under no obligation to do so.

Sure, if you believe that you'll believe anything. Utterly self discrediting.

All I can say is that if that is your opinion on the thread, it says more about you for continuing to read it than it does about them.

If you want to keep up with the news, read the news then. If you want foaming at the mouth, I think FOX News go in for that sort of thing.

As has been pointed out on the thread multiple times, if you want a forum with a higher standard for posting, why aren't you engaging with the Politics forum, where there are active threads for US Politics.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement