Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Reservoir Dog 2024

• 19-07-2024 9:24am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭

Morning all,

That time of year again we are in the midst of planning how many sangers are needed and who goes where on the course. What we need now is a good collection of riders ready to tackle a hard (and not so hard) course around the Wicklow hills.

The Dog is the usual 125km with plenty of climbing.

We also have the Pup which is 65km around the Blessington area. Still a challenging route to sink your teeth into.

Routes can be found here: https://www.reservoircogs.ie/routes/ As always our start and finish point is the beautiful location of Russborough House.

Enter: https://eventmaster.ie/event/JkmbUpvHRk

Date: 1st September

Just as a footnote and a thank you to everyone on boards who has supported us over the years. In running this event we as a club don't take any money out of it. Every cent raised goes towards local charities such as Blessington tidy towns and the first responders to name two. To date you have helped to raise over €75,000 for these local charities. Your help and support has been hugely appreciated and the impact of that support has been felt in the local community so thank you very much from all at the Reservoir Cogs.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68 ✭✭Bluejohn1

The route seems to be marked as private on ridewithgps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭gmacww

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Got my ticket a month ago as I can't let myself miss this - it's one-off my favourites and in my experience is well run (good marshaling & water/food stops).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 284 ✭✭this.lad

Great event. I signed up last year but had to pull out at the last min. I'll be back this year hopefully.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 242 ✭✭vintcerf

haha this sportive almost broke me last year … 2024 is the year of redemption!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Trekker09

I'd love to do this but am only back cycling in the past couple of weeks after a year off due to a hip issue. How savage is the 'Pup'? I'm currently averaging 50km comfortably.

The pup is a decent 65km challenge. There is t much flat road in it it’s all rolling. Only one good sized climb in it. If you’re doing 50km comfortable ray the moment you’d be grand for this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,087 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

it was very warm last year. I went up the final climb (Ballynultagh) at little more than walking pace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,444 ✭✭✭tc20

I've signed up for this, having done the Dog for the first time last year. Very enjoyable route, and great atmosphere.

I've done bugger all training for it this time, so I'm expecting it to be that wee bit more challenging.

• Advertisement

I see that I'm the poster boy for this spin yet again - I should be getting some kind of commission

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,493 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Havent done this since 2018 and say every year i will do it, til something else pops up.

Well not this year!!

We had you in mind for the December double page of our calendar this year. Will look slightly different to the pic above mind you :)

Just a quick update. Numbers are looking strong and the forecast aint half bad either. It'll be part of the email that goes out to each rider tomorrow but there is one slight change to the route. The food stop has moved from the brockagh center to Annamoe community center. For anyone who did the first dog you'll be familiar with this stop but it's on the Annamoe road on the way to Laragh on the right hand side. We'll have flags and marshall on the road directing you in.

From there it's straight to Laragh and across the triangle at the top and up Glenmac. Takes slightly more than 1km off the route and personally I'd prefer the longer downhill run into Glenmac after the food stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Foxmoves

Not sure if the same for everyone but if you click the route in the mail, and download from the website, it imports to Garmin as a very random long route with stuff added and roads that don’t exist I would say. Never seen it happen before so random.

Just pulled it from Strava then and all good.

Going to do the pup tomorrow as I don't have the time for the full dog. However, I would rather go up Sorrell hill/gap road from Ballysmuttan to Lacken (which is on the dog route) rather than go round the lake, which is on the pup route. Guessing that's a no-no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,908 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Open, public roads dude. You can do the thing back-asswards or any way you please.

I only asked as there was an explicit point in the email that was sent out:

1. You may not deviate from the official route. If you deviate from the official route you are deemed to have left the Event

Was wondering if I wouldnt get my burger/beer/medal at the end if i went off-piste!

No way in the wide earthly world are the flag marshalls on the junctions making notes of deviators and then liaising with the burger flippers to ixnay the undeserving 😁

If you decide to come into Lacken via sorrel hill we’re not going to tell you that you can’t have a muffin or burger because you took a different road. The only thing to be aware of is that the ambulance follows the route so if you were to crash on a road that’s not part of the official route there may be a difficulty.

Now all that said sorrel is part of our official dog route so technically you’re not going out of quarantine so to speak. You’re doing a hybrid 😁

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,397 ✭✭✭secman

Had a long overdue spin around the lakes this morning, plenty of signage about for pup and Dog, it really is a stunning part of the country, be careful on lakedrive route, a lot of campers about, is the Balkyknocken Stocken music festival on this weekend ?

Best of luck to riders and organisers alike 👍

Not long home after another Reservoir Dog sportive and that was good - but tough. Cycled from Leixlip over and back which brought my totals for the day to 200.5Km and 2700m.

The weather was good but the it didn't manage to fully lift the mist but it wasn't a big issue thankfully.

That burger makes it all worth it! When you compare it to the cold sh1te pasta at the end of a miserable Ring of Beara, it shows how locally organised events can be so much better for the participants.

Roll on the 2025 Reservoir Dog!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭JMcL

Now all that said sorrel is part of our official dog route so technically you’re not going out of quarantine so to speak. You’re doing a hybrid 😁

Would that be the Reservoir Labradoodle so?

You say that but I was the marshal on the Ballysmuttan turn off. I watched where he was going and radioed in. He's only to have a plain burger, no tomato or anything. He's also not allowed nougat in Lacken :)

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Foxmoves

Enjoyable spin. Weather played ball and while misty at the top(s), generally nice weather for a cycle.

Great marshalling, good signage and good food stop(s) with plenty of options at start, midway and the burger to finish.

Tough enough day naturally but it is all in the pacing on a day like yesterday.

Some new roads for me and some lovely scenery/views!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 284 ✭✭this.lad

Great day out as usual. Got around in just under 4.5 hrs.

Won't argue with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,729 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Off to next summer's TDF for you so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭koutoubia

Bailed at Sally Gap.

Legs started off ok and then went backwards.

By the time i got halfway up Cunard I knew it wasnt gonna be and I believe I was the Lantern Rouge at the sallly gap feed.

The thought of suffering for another few hours suffering deep in wicklow just wasnt appealing so turned at sally cross roads back to Kilbride and took the long way back to Blessington.

One of our lads took a nasty fall.

2 arms in a sling/cast and out of work for at least 12 weeks.

• Advertisement

One of our lads took a nasty fall.

2 arms in a sling/cast and out of work for at least 12 weeks.

Heading down from Sally towards manor Kilbride, I saw two marshals sitting on the grass with a fallen rider who was wearing one of their jackets. I didn't stop as I'd have been no help. Was that your friend and are they ok otherwise?

Advertisement