Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do you do interviews when in a job

Options
  • 19-07-2024 12:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

How do you guys do interviews for another job when you're in a job. I've been in a job for five months. I want to move jobs as I really don't like it.

im applying for other jobs as i want to move as soon as I can.

But When you're in a job you hate it's really hard to get time off to do interviews to get another job.

My job won't let me take annual leave when I want it. I have to request it and if it conflicts with anyone else it's often refused.

So I can't take annual leave off to attend interviews for another job.

This leaves me to have to take a sick day to an interview.

My job are really strict about taking uncertified sick days. I took one uncertified sick day to attend an interview and my job made me ring in to talk to two different managers to say why I was sick, and I was told on this call that "too many sick days can lead to termination".

The stress of it!

i Can't afford to just quit.

How are we supposed to attend interviews for other jobs? How do you do it?

Post edited by Titanium11 on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭Kalimah

That's a difficult one. Sounds like a nightmare place to work. I worked in a call centre like that years ago. Getting approval for annual leave was always an issue if there were others off at the same time. People used to take a sick day - sometimes no other choice. Management were always whinging about the amount of sick leave in the place.

Are you still on probation as you mentioned that? You could hand in your resignation and go for interviews during your notice period. That might impact on a reference though.

Do interviews online at lunchtime? It's a tricky one. Best of luck with the job search.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Titanium11

Thanks for the nice message.

If I handed in my notice I wouldn't be able to go for interviews during that time either. As I would still be working full time for the one month notice period.

I get one half hour lunch a day and the time of my lunch changes every day, as they get us to go at different times. It Would be very hard to do an interview at lunch.

I'm going to have to try to take another sick day maybe and be shouted at.

I was wondering how have other people gone for interviews when in a job ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭Kalimah

I don’t think many people are working in such a difficult place as you are! I’d say most just take a day’s leave. I think you’ll just have to take another sick day and deal with the fallout.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Titanium11

I think a lot of people are working in similar places to me. It's not that easy to do interviews.

My friend has just been asked to do an interview

. She tried to get annual leave off from her current job for the day of the interview. She was refused the annual leave. And now she is thinking she may have to call in sick

In most jobs, you can't just say "I want annual leave next tuesday".

You have to ask for it. And often times they refuse it

I would like to hear others people's experiences here of how you actually managed to do an interview while in a job.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Allinall

I’ve found employers looking for staff are amenable to facilitating out of hours interviews.

I’ve done interviews in the evening, and once on a Saturday morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,080 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Try and explain to the company interviewing you first - you might be able to swing an 8.30am interview or a 5.30 interview but obviously you’ll still need permission to arrive late or leave early unless working from home and it’s a virtual online interview?

If you think you have a good chance of getting the job then really I’d just come right out and say it - doesn’t sound like they appreciate you and you certainly don’t hold much love for them so focus on getting out of there

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭thefa

As others have said, try and arrange them with the interviewer towards the start or end of the day or even slightly out of hours if they can accommodate.

I’ve generally worked in places where you could leave a bit early or come in a bit later if you recompense the time. Generic excuses like appointments would usually be enough although your workplace doesn’t sound accommodating.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭dazzler101

Take 2 hrs. off and say you have a doctors/Dentist appointment. They have to give you the time off or request a half day off.

Whats the worse that can happen, you don't plan on being their much longer, so having to deal with another phone call etc will be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭LimeFruitGum

I once went to a competitor for an interview at 7.30am :)

Sounds like OP doesn't work from home, where it would be easy to block off the interview time and you could take the call from home.

I faked a vaccination appointment so I could nip into town for an interview last year. I got lucky one other time because my manager was out on holiday and I could sneak out for interviews without anyone noticing.

Don't feel bad about saying you've a dental/doctor's appointment. It is 5 months, you're not happy, so you're probably not going to use them for a reference anyway and in time, you can leave it off the CV.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

doctors, dentist appointments. other medical appointments. appointments before work/after work etc

a real sh1tty employer would say no to them….but thats then fuel to fire as to why you ultimately leave.

if they refuse the time off then call in sick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭crinkley

Try to arrange a very early or late interview with the company otherwise a dr appointment and tell them you've been waiting ages. I had one awful boss that I tried this on and he continued to question me as it was my second "drs appointment" in 2 weeks, as soon as I mentioned a smear test and asked if he wanted further details on my period he quickly shut up and shuffled off!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,146 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

It's usually interviews in the morning, late afternoon or at lunch when you can go. Most people say they have an appointment (doctor etc). A lot of first round interviews these days are online rather than in person so that makes that part a bit easier as if you're in an office, you can disappear into a meeting room for an hour & just put a meeting in your own calendar to mark you as busy.

Advertisement