Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Favourite/Least favourite household chore

• 20-07-2024 1:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,550 ✭✭✭

My favourite household job would be anything that involves cooking. I enjoy cooking nice meals and I like experimenting with items.
    My least favourite job would be taking clothes off the clothes horse, folding and putting them away. It’s just so tedious, especially putting socks together and separating my clothes from the OH’s clothes.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,707 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Try doing laundry for kids....

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,947 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Favourite : cooking….I don’t have a huge repertoire of dishes i make but what I cook, I do well and it comes easy to me… YouTube has been great but I’ve picked up bits from family…especially roasts. I find cooking really cathartic and relaxing.

Least favourite : I hate ironing, it’s just tedious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭SineadSpears

Exact opposite to others.

Favourite would be washing clothes. Such an important job done with very little effort.

Sort clothes into bundles, fling into the machine with cleaning stuff, press a button & job done! Imagine living in the days of having to use a washboard. The backache, the sore hands 😭..

Taking clothes off the clothes horse is a doddle because they just slip off. Putting them ON to the clothes horse is a bit of a chore.

Least favourite is cooking. I love anything to do with food but I detest cooking itself. Don't find it therapeutic at all. I do it because I'm a decent cook and want everything cooked exactly the way I want it. But yeah, cooking 👎

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,448 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Just hate ironing. Hate it.

Love cleaning anything

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,751 ✭✭✭This is it

I hate cleaning the bathroom. Not a fan of ironing but I think that's because I let it build up and then there's hours of it, rather than doing a few bits every few days.

I like cooking, I don't mind washing the clothes and cleaning the rest of the house.

Love gardening. It's low enough maintenance, just cutting the grass, bit of weeding, etc. but I enjoy it when the weather is half decent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,368 ✭✭✭phormium

Hoovering/vacuuming whatever you want to call it, hate it, hate the noise of it! I'd get one of those automatic things except I'm convinced it would be a trip hazard, don't want a broken hip!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,621 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Hate changing the bed, cleaning the shower, especially the congealed hair and gunk from the drain, defrosting the freezer and cleaning out the fridge, cleaning the oven and mopping.

Don't mind anything else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,708 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Not sure if it qualifies as a household chore per say but I love power washing a driveway or patio, it's so therapeutic seeing the instant results.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,412 ✭✭✭corner of hells

I married a sociopath when it comes to household chores , the whole house is forensically cleaned every two weeks or so .

Her latest scam is when she does laundry is to fold all the clean laundry and stack it on the stairs in such a way that you can't get up the stairs without bringing it up.Fuckin pillow cases are and towels are folded with military precision.

Cups are bleached clean , toasters , microwaves etc are polished and the drain on the washing machine is regularly taken out even if there's no problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭zell12

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,073 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

…shes doing your house work to military precision, and the only thing you ve to do is pull your plum while its happening, careful what you wish for……

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

All of it apart from cooking.

We get a cleaner in once a week to give the place a once over and herself does most of the rest of it. I put out the bins, clean the cat litter tray, and cut the lawns/gardening.

Being young is a great advantage, since we see the world from a new perspective and we are not afraid to make radical changes - Greta Thunburg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 801 ✭✭✭z80CPU
    Darth Randomer

Favourite: Attacking flies with fly spray. Watching them choke and die.

Least favourite: Cleaning toilet bowl PROPERLY.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,428 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Favourite: Bathroom cleaning (because nobody can do quite like I can)

Least favourite: Ironing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,581 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

Favourite: Cleaning the bathroom. I love a sparkly clean fresh bathroom and get great satisfaction from it.

Least favourite: Floors. Because they show signs of crumbs / dirt / paw prints (😼)again within a few hours and it drives me insane.

My daughter gives out to me if I forget our "no outside shoes in the house" rule because I often do forget, and I have to admit she is right because it does keep the floors much cleaner for much longer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,530 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Reminds me of a Weezer song, Beverly Hills with this lyric ...

Look at all those movie stars

They're all so beautiful and clean

When the housemaids scrub the floors

They get the spaces in between

I wanna live a life like that

I wanna be just like a king

Take my picture by the pool

'Cause I'm the next big thing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,627 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Favourite - ironing in front of the telly with decent sports - you can tell how creased and pressed I will be by what sporting event is on at the time, Wimbledon got practically everything done, The Open served me very well over the weekend as well.

Middling - cooking, I occasionally tear into a day of batch cooking and enjoy it, and love the results for weeks afterwards - but I absolutely trash the kitchen and hate having to clean it up after.

Least favourite - everything else, so I pay someone else to do it 🤣

😂

I have a house cleaner that comes every two weeks, and a fella who does my windows every six weeks, and another fella that does my grass once / twice a month as needed.

I just do top ups to keep it up to standard in between.

Nothing wrong with paying for help if you need it / can afford it!

Nothing at all wrong with that.

But the lyric is really about how all of life's drudgery work can be taken away and sorted to perfection if you have the means.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,321 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

My missus is the same, would love to have a cleaner in.

I'm staunchly against it, hate anyone seeing my mess. Including cleaners! I'd be the type to clean before the cleaner gets here :o

• Advertisement

I tidy before the cleaner ;) Put laundry away, for example.

But only so she can get a good run at the place. I leave the heavy lifting to them!

And I do clean in between. :)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I hate cleaning, particularly the bathroom.

Don't mind cooking or laundry at all, as @SineadSpears said it's a handy number that the machine does for you. Although in a busy spell the washing machine > washing line > clothes horse > hot press > wardrobe conveyor belt can get a bit much. Got a dishwasher for the first time about 2 years ago, otherwise washing the dishes would have been top of the hitlist.

We had a cleaner in a couple of times but my other half wanted them to use natural cleaning products, so the cleaner never came back 🤣

Also, if you have teenagers sitting on their arses, it's even more annoying having to pay for a cleaner.

No teenagers here, both adults, but both with chronic illness / mobility issues. We're not scruffy either. :)

I just worked it out, for all my house cleaning and garden maintenance per year averages at €40 a week, so not too bad 👍️

Worth it to me to keep the place in a decent state, that I can't do myself anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

I wouldn’t say I hate it, but my beige flag is when a wash is dry, instead of putting it away, I just wear items as I need them. Then when the next wash it ready to go, there should be space on the horse left from the things I’ve worn.

Job I love is cooking!

Agree on washing dishes!

Now that you've reminded me of it, that would have been my least favourite chore too. I only got a dishwasher a few years ago too, now I couldn't live without one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

I don't enjoy any household chores, unless gardening counts. I hate hoovering. I've given up ironing altogether unless it's a very special occasion. Life's too short. Also guilty of dressing straight from the clothes horse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,723 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Yeah, I always thought the clothes horse was a storage spot for the most used items, so they were always handy to access. 😉

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,550 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

Ironing is just something I usually never do as a rule. Although I have a pair of freshly washed beige combats in desperate need of an ironing at the moment just lying in the bedroom since Saturday. I will get around to ironing them eventually 💩
    The kitchen floor is impossible to keep clean also because it’s quickly covered again in hair and mud from my two Jack Russels.
    I usually don’t mind cutting the grass in the back garden but I hate having to do the sides with the electric strimmers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Quay_Koncept

I love blasting 50/50 bleach water from a spray bottle on stuff and you come back and it looks like you have been scrubbing it ages, the dirt just melts off. I cant stand cleaning out kitchen presses the bits of crumbs and stuff.

Like hoovering, hate taking it out but love the actual hoovering as you can really see the difference!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 774 ✭✭✭taxAHcruel

Definitely leave the cleaning and washing up mostly to the women folk of the household. It's not for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,970 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I love cooking and anything to do with food - shopping for it, inventorying it, meal planning. I also quite like doing laundry. I don't iron, though, unless something specific I'm about to wear needs it.

Hate changing the bed, but love when it's done. And I LOATHE hoovering. Which isn't ideal because I have a dog who sheds like a motherfcuker.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,613 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

I'm grand with most household chores when in the mood but I never liked ironing. I try to buy shirts that don't require ironing.

I like vacuuming, most cleaning, putting the dishes away and most other laundry tasks.

I mostly like the satisfaction after it's done. I guess that's why I like fixing or improving stuff around the gaff too.

I also don't mind cutting the grass. I like looking at it after it's done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Suckler

Laundry. Anything to do with laundry after firing it in to to basket. The laundry fairies deal with it after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭Goodigal

Love ironing. Putting Spotify on and seeing a pile of ironing disappear is my Sunday evening highlight. Sad times!

Absolutely hate washing floors though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,435 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

I hate hand washing dishes because even though I know its food that I've just cooked if something slimy touches my hand I get the shivers.

I hate hoovering my stairs aswell. I've two german shepherd who shed an amount that is frankly impressive so I rubber brush the carpet to help loosen any caught in hairs and then have to hover. It's just a pain. It's not as bad when I use the cordless hoover at least.

I like doing clothes washing, sorting the dishwasher, hoovering the rest of the house. Actually most of the other jobs I don't mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,978 ✭✭✭sporina

hate dusting - grrrr.. hate dust!

the rest is rational so I don't mind it but I HATE dust and dusting!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

I like cleaning things, counters, floors, hoovering. Instant gratification.

Hate washing clothes with a passion, I literally wait til every single sock, tshirt and underpants in my house is used til i put it on. Also hate cooking for myself. Well I mostly hate how long it takes, and the related tasks like clean up or buying groceries.

I love the idea of picking a nice recipe and buying nice ingredients no expense spared and cooking a big tasty dinner for guests, that is relaxing and enjoyable to me however.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

I always do my own wash. I use the tumble dryer for socks and boxer shorts. Don't have the patience to put them on a clothes horse but do use the latter for shirts, trousers and jumpers.

Worst job is bathroom cleaning. I don't mind ironing, only have to do work shirts so usually do a couple of weeks' worth in one go.

Favourite is grocery shopping. I go early on Saturday morning and it's quite relaxing. Always go to a café for a fry afterwards so look forward to that routine.

Advertisement