Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dormer windows, means of escape compliance - house purchase

Options
  • 20-07-2024 1:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

I am well into the legal process of buying a former coach house that was adapted into a 2 story dormer house in the 90s. 

It has been raised in a survey that I had done and more specifically by an engineers opinion on compliance that was sent on by the vendor, that the bedroom windows do not comply with technical guidance document part B. This would be related to means of escape fire safety compliance as far as I know. 

The house is otherwise in good condition, and my intention would be to move into it in its current condition, possibly considering various upgrades in time. I am trying to work out the implications of this, such as if it would need to be addressed immediately or in a particular situation, or otherwise on the implications of it on a later resale. There are another few compliance issues that I can share but this is the one that jumps out the most to me. Any thoughts?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Depends on when the works were done but if the 90’s then means of escape should have been followed.

It may be classed as non habitable rooms so once you’re ok with that.

Not an easy fix too depending on the issue. Cill height, opening area of distance to eaves?

Advertisement