Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mac's Dog Food (tin)

• 20-07-2024 6:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

Hi everyone. Our dog who was previously on butternut box has stopped eating completely. So we've decided to try different food for him. I bought loads of different dry food, he wouldn't touch them at all. I suppose it's because he got used to wet/fresh food. I got Mac's superfood tin from Petstop and he seems to really like it. However, I can't find any review about it. It's not even on the website, All About Dog Food. I'm wondering if it's good quality? Anyone ever used them before? Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 809 ✭✭✭cap.in.hand.

Petforums.co.uk ...just Google Mac's dog food and scroll down and there is reviews on that forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 zyraaisha

Thanks. I saw that but they're for Mac's cat food.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 809 ✭✭✭cap.in.hand.

Ok ...my mistake

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,725 ✭✭✭oleras

We only have our guy the last 4 months so not super qualified but my 2c.

With our case, he was about 4 months old when he started to get picky, in saying picky, he has no issue eating spiders but i digress…

Changed his dry food to a grain free because the farts were soo bad, first few days were ok, he was probably still in eat fast or dont eat mode but he turned his nose up after a few days and would not eat the previous food either.

Developing dog and all that we didnt want him to miss a meal (mistake #1) poached him some chicken and all is well with the world,this went on for a few days, chicken and sweet potato, untill he turned his nose up to that..he would eat it if you fed it to him, but go to the bowl and eat it himself…nope.

made appointment with vet, all was healthy, no issue wrt feeding him, he was just being a silly boy…

Vets advice was starve him, they have no issues going 2-3 days at that age, he was 5/6 months old at the time so very recent, dont give in to him, it will only get worse.

Put the food down for 20 mins, if not eaten take it away, back down again at next feeding time (we are x2 daily, 8am and 4pm)

By day 2 he will be back eating.

It just wasnt sustainable to be making him special meals and for him after a week to turn his nose up to it, same when he will go to kennels for a few days, they aint gonna give him special treatment.

We are throwing some hot water on the dry food, let it cool for 5/6 mins and he eats(devours) it warm.

Its a head wrecker when they wont eat, causes a lot of stress, try and nip it in the bud is my advice.

Thank you, Oleras. Our dog has always been a fussy eater since we got him, that's why he ended up on butternut box.

I tried starving him before getting him new food. But he ended up getting sick with yellow bile. Vet recommended chicken and rice, which he reluctantly ate (just the chicken though). Hence, I ended up spending a small fortune in Petstop 🫣 buying all sorts of dog food. He's back to eating now but only the Mac's wet food - just wondering if it's a good quality food as I can't find any reviews about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Take a look at Rocco on Zooplus OP. It’s good quality and will probably work out cheaper than anything you’ll get in PetStop etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,028 ✭✭✭✭anewme

macs dog food is very good quality.

I’d liken it to Carnilove,

Zooplus also deliver Macs if you wanted to buy in bulk.

Thank you. I was worried it was too much meat and no veg? It does say "complete dog food", but comparing to butternut box all I see is meat.

Advertisement