If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LG 55NANO81T6A: Saorview and Freesat on the one TV?

Options
  • 20-07-2024 6:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭

Hi There,

Lots of the LG TVs, including this one: https://www.richersounds.ie/p-207942-lg-55nano81t6a-new-2024-5-model-55-inch-4k-ultra-hd-hdr-smart-nanocell-led-tv-freeview-play-freesat.aspx are listed as having Freeview and Freesat tuners.

My current setup is a saorview enabled TV plus a humax decoder for freesat. I have an RTE Aerial and a Satellite.

Questions

a) If i bought the model above, could i get rid of the humax and have both signals going into the TV?

b) How would that work with the EPG? Is there an EPG that combines both sets of channels, or is there a way of switching between the two EPGs?

c) Currently, i have two signal wires (i don't know the proper term for that) coming out of the wall. One is split (call the wires from this S1 and S2) and one is not (call this NS). Currently, S1 and NS go into the Humax, and S2 goes into the TV. A HDMI cable then connects the Humax to the TV. It seems a bit strange to me now that there are two wires going into the humax. Guessing, it seems like it is getting a wire from the satellite and one from the RTE aerial, but why would it need an aerial from the RTE Aerial? Also, does the TV listed above have receiving sockets for multiple aerial wires?

Thanks and sorry for what are probably stupid questions.

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 4,458 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: DavidS

Hi CarPark2,

Thanks for the post.

The majority of LG TVs have both Saorview and Freesat built in so you would just need one satellite cable and one aerial cable plugged into it (it only has space for one of each). Once you have them both tuned in you can switch between the Freesat and Saorview EPGs in the settings. The 55NANO81T6A will let you do that no problem and you can get rid of the separate Humax box.

I'm not sure what Humax box you have - does it allow you to add an aerial and satellite input and have tuners for both built in?

Please don't hesitate to drop me a post if you have any further queries

Kind regards

David

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭CarPark2

hi David,

Thanks for getting back to me. Some further questions on this.

1). Can I attach an SSD to this TV through fhe USB port and record directly from the tv to that?

2). Does that work as well as the Humax for recording, i.e., series link, record one programme while watching another, record satellite channel while watching terrestrial?

3). If recording doesn’t work as easily on the TV+SSD combo, is there a recording box that I can add that doesn’t require me to use a second remote for normal watching?

4). Does this LG have airplay and chromecast incorporated without any additional physical plug ins?

5) In terms of an ideal list of (a) Freesat + Saorview without additional box; (b) easy and flexible recording; (c airplay and chromecast incorporated without additional hardware is LG the best brand, or is there another model I should look at?

Thank you. I was in a physical shop today and the sales guy didn’t know much about any of this, so it’s great to have this facility.

• Company Representative Posts: 4,458 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: DavidS

Thanks for getting back to me CarPark2,

I'll try to answer your questions in order:

1. The TV does have USB recording so you can attach a Hard Drive to the TV to record programmes. It doesn't have dual tuners though so you can only record what you're watching.
    2. It's not as good as the Humax for recording to be honest as there are a lot less options.
    3. Unfortunately not - the recording boxes have their own operating systems so would need it's own box to use.
    4. The TV does have Apple Airplay 2 and Chromecast built in so you don't need a separate dongle.
    5. The LGs are probably the best for features - not many TVs have a Freesat tuner built in, they'll have a satellite input but no EPG or channel info. The LG has this and streaming built in so it's packed with features.

I hope that has been helpful but if you need anything else please let me know.

Kind regards

David

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.