Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2030 - A State O' Chassis?

Options
  • 21-07-2024 1:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭

This is a long, meandering post.

Having read an informed, if controversial, opinion piece by Timothy D. Snyder (Yale Professor of History, author, expert in Eastern European and Soviet history) this morning, and thinking on it throughout the day, I have to admit I'm intrigued.

The article is behind a paywall so I won't link. But, his hypothesis is that a Republican led US is headed for tyranny, oligarchy and anarchy. But that the 'anti-republic Republican' plan is essentially flawed, and therefore not guaranteed for success.

He asserts that a tyrant emerges from a broken system, and DJ Trump has completely turned the US political system on its head for reasons already sufficently discussed, so breaking the system, easy.

He expresses himself to be more concerned about what he sees as an oligarchy behind him. It does look like DJT has huge backing from tech billionaires such as Thiel, Musk, potentially Zuckerberg, and numerous others, faceless and unknown, who are only ecstatic to have this guy do their bidding. During his last tenure he caused massive swings in the market with his tweets. I mean, people made hundreds of millions with these tweets. It's the definition of insider trading.

His next point is the express intent of the oligarchs to create anarchy - an environment with no checks and balances will favour the ultra wealthy: if there is no system then they will fill the void and, as in Russia, call the shots. On everything.

Also, dollar crashing benefits crypto. These guys obviously stand to benefit hugely here. No regulation of social media (not like there is much to begin with).

His most interesting point is ''the strongman act of Trump and Vance distracts from their dependence on the wealthy. Their threat to deport migrants shrouds the reality that none of the relevant oligarchs was born in the US, that Trump married two migrants, and that Vance is married to the daughter of migrants''.

The desire for a strongman authoritarian does not sit well with the idea that he is beholden to an elite group of ultra wealthy nerds. But would the MAGA base even realise this conundrum?

With Trump basically inviting China to invade Taiwan (and seize control of the chip manufacturing), insinuating a US withdrawal from NATO if elected, where do people see this whole thing going?

I realise it's potentially cliché, but I can't help but be reminded of Philip Roth's 'The Plot Against America'.

It's 80 short years since the ending of WW2. The barbarity of the conflict, particularly in Asia and east of Germany, is far beyond our comprehension. It's not quite 30 years since Srebrenicia and the unbridled horrors which unfolded there. Today there are despots and regimes at work in ways in which we in the West can't begin to imagine, but we need simply look to Israel, its scorched earth strategy and the genocide of the Palestinians to get an idea of what is possible.

We are cosseted, comforted, selfish, unaware and unprepared. All of our incredibly privileged lives could evaporate in a very short time.

I'd be interested in hearing arguments against the apocalyptic. Obviously it's bad for 'business'. Maybe capitalism is our saviour?

Post edited by Ten of Swords on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

Yeah, that's one of the 2 types of 'contributions' I expected. Meme Hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,879 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

Do you have the link? I can probably access it through an archive site.

It’s all about money. Tax cuts for the wealthy. Limited worker rights which benefits them greatly. Keep the Super Churches in side with their tax free status and they provide you with a willing base that will vote for you, controlled by their pastors.
    Describe everyone against you as subhuman and turn your willing mob against them if they really get out of line.
    The system over there is broken. California - 5th largest economy in the world, 2 senators. North Dakota, population of a few hundred thousand, 2 senators.
    Both sides have been gaming it for decades but the SC tipped the balance by awarding Bush the election and its been down hill ever since.

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭sekiro

"Their threat to deport migrants"

Can you expand on this a little?

Is the threat to deport illegal migrants or migrants that will come and be dependent on state handouts?

Or is the threat to simply deport ALL migrants?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,459 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Mod - Moved to CT

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

Thread is now in the Conspiracy Theories Forum. Charter can be found here, please read before posting.

Thanks

HS

• Advertisement
Advertisement