Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Proposal for a new Department of Infrastructure

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,437 ✭✭✭Gusser09

An absolute idiotic and silly idea. Merely a populist idea.

We see what happens when we bring various depts in under super dept. I give you the HSE.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 scrabtom

In what way is it a populist idea? You may not agree with the idea which is fine but I don't understand why it would be populist.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,898 ✭✭✭✭L1011

All bodies which formed the HSE were already under one department.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,887 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

But the vast majority of what we here have suggested could fall under a DofI is already under one department (Transport), plus a whole load of stuff which falls under the general "transport" heading but wouldn't be under a DofI. It would be far from a mega department, Health, Education, Foreign Affairs, Justice, etc. would be bigger beasts and face more unexpected challenges from one day to the next.

The rest of what is suggested for DofI is under Environment, Climate and Communications (ironically ECC also shares its minister with Transport). Communications does not sit naturally with the other areas there and seems like it was stuck there because there was nowhere else to put it (i.e. no DofI). Communications industry regulation would have to go to another department, not DofI. Cyber security also wouldn't go to DofI, it probably should go to a revamped Department of Defence. What goes to DofI wouldn't be huge.

Basically, DofI wouldn't necessarily be a mega-department, it could certainly be a standard size department. Use Transport as the baseline and move various functions around from there. A review and rationalisation of departments would be no harm anyway.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Exactly. Frankly when they put both the DoT and DCEE under the same minister they already went half way there, this would just be completing the job.

BTW DCEE includes things like the electricity grid, ESB, off shore wind farms, Corrib, etc. Basically most of our energy infrastructure.

I'd also say communication regulations would sit fine in this department. Most of what Comreg do is regulate the communications infrastructure. Phone lines, fibre lines, phone masts, other broadcasting masts and the frequencies they use. It is all infrastructure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭KrisW1001

As a thought exercise, could either of you list the functions you'd put under this new department. Unless you're very strict with your definition of "infrastructure" it will quickly get out of hand…

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I’ve already said, everything that is already under the DoT and DCEE and probably just add in ABP.

Those two departments are already under the same Minister and work closely together, so it would barely be a change for them. Really just ABP would be really the only new bit.

Nothing at all out of hand about the above!

I will tell you the part that would be “controversial”, would be some of the senior staff. You would have only one general secretary, rather than two now, etc. This sort of thing always ruffles some feathers and is probably the only reason they haven’t already been merged.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,959 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

We have a Department of Public Expenditure, NDP and Reform.

Take away the current spending aspect of this Department and put it back with the Department of Finance so current spending can be aligned with current revenue as it should be.

Remove the infrastructure elements of Health, Transport and Higher Education and place with the rump D/PENDER.

Rename as the Department of Infrastructure.

Voila!

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Bodan

Michael O'Leary is onboard ,he mentioned it a few weeks ago in an Oireachtas Transport Committee

Advertisement