Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Advice on new (second hand) EV

Options
  • 21-07-2024 9:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭

Hello, looking for some opinions and advice. Looking at getting a new EV (second hand). Long range 300km+, up to the 20k mark, but 17/18k would be ideal. Currently we have an old gen 2016 leaf + diesel citroen. Looking at selling the citroen and getting into a longer range more modern EV.

So far test driven following:

2 front runners:

Kia Niro 64kw (2020/2021) - Pros: Nice drive, comfy over bumps, good space for kids in the back. 7 year warranty. Good driving position. Nice spec overall with heated seats/steering wheel etc.

Cons: The infotainment system, is a bit lacking after trying the Teslas, but has wired android auto so I would just be using that majority of the time. Missing the 360 degree camera from our leaf. Only has rearview camera and sensors. No sunroof.

Tesla model 3 - Pros: nice drive, really like the glass roof, ample room in back for kids (6&9). Sunroof.

Cons: Just not sure about whole Tesla ecosystem long term, and also having quite a hard time getting insurance quotes - been reading about issues in UK also around this. With high prices due to parts and repairs availability etc

Others:

Vw ID3 - Surprised about interior space. Fairly confusing infotainment… I'm sure once you have some time with it would be fine. Nice ride for smaller car. This might be contender to replace Leaf at later stage maybe as second car.

VW ID4 - just meh - generally overpriced for what it is, not comfortable over speed bumps. Low specs. No idea why they are so popular.

Hyundai Kona - same battery/drivetrain as Niro, so drive was similar also. Lacking space in the back for kids, but not as small as I thought from reviews. Driver visibilty was worse comparing to Niro.

MG4 - Brand new one - Interesting proposition for the quoted 26k new price. But none of the lower specced models are available. Very dark interior (who thought black roof trim is a good idea?) Least comfortable over speed bumps out of all cars we test driven.

Jaguar I pace - Test drove this just for fun really, due to there being a private sale one for 20k - but not a real contender - dont fancy repair bills for out of warranty 90k Jaguar 😅 Drives well, but nothing special.

Hyundai Ioniq 5 - The most comfortable out of all tested… Really planted on the road. Super smooth acceleration/stopping/turning. I am wishing we had a use case for this car, but its just too big, and also out of price range unfortunately.

Wrote off MG ZS due to looks. MG5 could be an option, still need to test drive. But really dont like the high ride height, it looks like an offroader, in all the wrong ways.

Anything else I am missing? Any advice/input is welcome. Thank you

Comments

Advertisement