Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bishop Eamon Casey - Child Abuse Allegations

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭joseywhales

So if any other criminal organisation refused to turn over documents, they would be taken by force no? Is it the Italian government protecting the church?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,927 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Wealthy? Dublin based? 5th and 6th year? Institute of Education.

VEC schools too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Rome does not care whatsoever about abuse survivors. They are all talk.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

Yep. They are untouchable. A special status. Vatican is a sovereign state too. Rome makes a huge amount of money from it too.

I mean there is no doubt that it continues, that's the truly sad part. Any organisation that is not exposed to justice , continues to abuse until they are, that is unfortunate human nature.

People with any sense of decency should not darken the doors of the cult (or finance them) until they come clean and open up all their records. You can see the frustration in the RTE reporters and abuse survivors trying to get information from them.

Extraordinary how the Catholic Church knew about a number of allegations of sexual abuse against Casey and still sent him off with a funeral service fit for a bishop-and was t it clever of the papal nuncio to stay away while letting the president of Ireland be fooled into attending

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/fr-brian-darcy-calls-on-vatican-to-give-explanation-for-why-bishop-eamon-casey-was-not-publicly-defrocked/a458990416.html

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,152 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

It'll just never end. We'll never know the truth of it all. Hoe many other bishops haven't been investigated because they're too high up in the chain of command?

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭deaglan1

Well that documentary consisted of 90 minutes which could have been compressed into 30 max. The amount of repetition of the same statements and the same footage was tedious. And what did we learn? Payoffs to silence people; a DPP that shelved the complaints; a Vatican that considers itself above anyone and everyone and keeps everything under wraps as it sees fit. Same old same old.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,309 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

Vatican has its own government, laws, and borders, and is not a part of Italy. It has country status. Clever bunch, aren't they? The Mafia are only trotting after them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭dublin49

Absolutely. Especially in less developed countries in Africa, South America etc.

They don't care about people. They see people as there to service them, provide them with money, and for priests to judge and rule them. That's basically it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭take everything

Just watched the documentary. Several independent allegations of abuse.

Why wouldn't they be credible? Yet Patsy McGarry and a couple of other commentators on that program seem to not be convinced. Some even saying he was a good guy. WTF?

A good guy doesn't do that to his own niece. Who seems very credible.

What is wrong with these people. Infuriating watching some of that shite.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭calculator

I was in Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭deaglan1

The Mafia are trotting alongside them - the Vatican Bank, formally called "The Institute for Religious Works" has been used for money laundering for years.

They're all 'good guys'. That's how they get in. People don't like to admit they were fooled by them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,564 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

You do realise that this education was paid for by the taxpayer, not your church?

The reason we call primary schools "National Schools" is because they derive from the system established in the 19th century under British rule. Again, taxpayer funded but the RCC grabbed control of almost the entirety of this system and retains it to this day.

Scrap the cap!

• Advertisement

Look at the Indo article I posted above from 2006 - it’s essentially giving the reader the impression that the complainant was a crackpot who made multiple allegations against different people - no wonder people forgot about it very quickly- a highly unusual article I must say-

Yep. We've had to strategically move to access non religious education, to places we really couldn't afford. But we did it, and we're nearly out the gap now with the child heading into what's hopefully her last school. Totally unindoctrinated, yet not ignorant of other people's beliefs. If you have a faith, it shouldn't need to beaten into you with a stick.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Mintybells

Gosh looking at this again after all these years is quite shocking. Back then Gay Byrne was like a God in our house....we all loved him. Seeing this now , it's horrible how he's treating her, it's like Annie Murphy is on trial.....but I suppose back then , everyone was so innocent and extremely naive , we would have trusted priests implicitly, never have doubted a word they said....... nobody now would understand how big a part religion played in our lives back then.

But not so big that they have their own country or banks (that they can regulate themselves). Don't forget it's the mafia paying them to use their banks.

preachy lectury broadcasters and talk show hosts are still around - thankfully one of the worst ones went to England recently

My mum was quite religious and she was horrified at the time at the way Annie Murphy was treated. I didn't really understand it as I was very young, but as I've grown up I see it. It's also made me see my mum in a different light, she was religious but she obviously wasn't blind to the hideous behaviour. She was enraged by some of the No posters in the marriage referendum. I was very proud of her.

• Advertisement

Even the bishops who weren't abusers themselves covered up for those who were.

They should all be in prison.

Scrap the cap!

GB said later he was a personal friend of Casey's - seems to have clouded his judgment.

Scrap the cap!

Fine, if you insist that all religious claims are preceded by that, also.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,586 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

They need to hand back all the land and property they own in our country that was gifted to them and disappear forever.

Utter scum of the earth.

Im kind of surprised there isn't more violence against these abusers, like if you find out they raped your child and you know there will never be justice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Deregos.

Imagine . . People would come from all over just to kiss his ring . . the dirty old git.

Pictures of your own bad parking WITH CHAT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,544 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I'm still trying to assess all of these developments about Eamon Casey from the documentary. I went to Galway Cathedral with my mum and aunt about 10 years ago & I went to mass in Westminster Catholic Church in London with my mum and a English woman as a kid about twenty years ago. I never met Eamon Casey in both of these locations when I was there.

Eamon Casey also gave some moral support to missionary priest Fr Niall O'Brien who was based in The Philippines when Fr. Niall was on trial for the murder of a local mayor in a town in the 70's/80's. I am not sure if Eamon Casey was going through his abuse of his niece at that time. If Fr Niall had known about these trends of abuse from Casey back then. He would have had administered a very different view of his relationship with Casey if he knew that Casey was a paedophile.

Bishop Martin Drennan was also the chief celebrant of my Confirmation mass in my local parish church in Dublin all the way back in 2002. It's good to know that he reprimanded Casey twice when he defied the rules of The Holy See while being present for a funeral mass in Limerick. However was that reprimand big enough to set a precedent for Eamon Casey to the probability of getting defrocked from the Vatican?

It was very alarming to see pictures of Casey still present for active duty within the Catholic Church after the Vatican had banned him from ministry as a result of his horrible crimes. The priests and bishops who attended his funeral in Galway in 2017 are not going to get away from Casey's whereabouts as a paedophile in their ranks within the Church.

They need to answer a lot of questions as to why they were officially present for his funeral mass that day by going through all of that effort of getting Casey buried in the crypt in Galway Cathedral when they should have known much more about his past. I would say a lot of these guys that went to that ceremony at that time are still in active duty within the church today. We need to hear their answers as to why all of this stuff was going on while under their watch. If they don't answer any questions on these matters immediately; it will paint them as enablers of abuse within the organisation.

Do they want that stuff resting on their conscience about potentially knowing how they went through the funeral ceremony of a well known pedo who was present within their ranks? I would say everyone in society who lives in this country would view that opinion with a very different light.

The church at this point had gone into terminal decline since Covid occurred a few years ago. These revelations about Eamon Casey from the documentary aired on RTÉ One on Monday night is going to make that steep fall in mass attendance much worse between now and in the future. Every allegation of child abuse that took place within the Catholic Church from now on is going to make it's status within this country a very uncomfortable thing to swallow as they go out on public record.

Nobody is going to ignore allegations of child abuse within the Catholic Church from now on. It's being spread out around the place like a never ending rash. Once they go out on public record; it will spark a new level of trauma for people in this country to try and deal with it. We as a country have to support the victims properly if they want to make them public from now on.

I can't say I agree with you there tbh. So much has come out about the Church in the last 20 years that really, if that didn't make you leave, nothing would. Eamonn Casey was an interesting programme, but not particularly shocking, or worse than any of the stuff that came before. He was just another rapist. The church have shown they'll tolerate that. The remaining congregation have shown they'll tolerate pretty much anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I see RTÉ sanitised the piece on his funeral to exclude Michael D Higgins attending as President, whoy 🤔

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭Iscreamkone

Anyone who still claims to be part of this toxic criminal organisation is either an idiot or suffering from Stockholm Syndrome.

To believe in the makeup-uppey nonsense is bad enough but to support the vile organisation is unforgivable.

When you bring your children for baptism, communion etc., when you put coin in their collection box you are facilitating their criminal behaviour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭Iscreamkone

And as for continuing to let this pedo organisation run our schools. 🤦‍♂️

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

…while some members of the catholic church of old behaved disgracefully in their treatment of certain children and woman…

I think last nights programme has blown the myth that it was just a few bad eggs right out of the water.

While obviously not all priests were abusers a hell of a lot of them were but that's not the point.

What's always aggrieved me is not merely that so much abuse was perpetrated by members of the clergy but that by their actions and inactions the church authorities and their minions facilitated the abusers.

They could have spoken out publicly against these animals years ago, encouraging people from the pulpit to go to the civil authorities if they had any concerns, which would have empowered the victims and significantly reduced the harms being done.

But instead an organisation that claims to be Christian shamed the victims to silence and allowed the paedophiles to carry on raping and buggering children.

And the concealment of the sanctioning of Casey shows that this practice is ongoing.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭Field east

is RTE not embedded in such individuals/ institutions/ organisations such as the presidents office? It knows what to cover and NOT cover for the sake of??????????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Tow

Mickie D is an atheist, so he is only there as part of his duties to honour the death of an important person.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

How the CC in Ireland is still a thing after the last few decades of revelations is beyond me.

Last night's doc made me so angry. That so many of these sick bastards were allowed to rape and abuse young kids, and get away with it.

And it's not just the church to blame. The state was complicent too. I heard a line in the show last night, "the DPP decided not to pursue the case". No surprise.

Popes, cardinals, bishops, priests, all guilty of covering up for the sickest vilest scum you could ever imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,996 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I wonder what Casey's parents were like. Where did he get the sense of entitlement from? Was the charity work all a front or was it some sort of monumental arrogance on his part to try and compartmentalise what he was doing?

I agree that it does take special blinkers and warped rationalisation to continue pushing children into that criminal organisation. It's "cultural" seems to be the latest excuse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 507 ✭✭✭argentum

Unfortunately the DPP had no other choice as the clever bastards made sure that they left very little evidence behind them

usually picking on the most vulnerable child that would be afraid to tell others until it was too late

I was 30 when I went to the Gardai to make a complaint and the DPP decided not to bring charges

However after I went public on Liveline another group of men came forward to make a complaint about the exact same parish priest , still no charges as he was too old and not enough evidence

Do they want that stuff resting on their conscience

These guys are far too invested in the "lifestyle" for that. House, car etc. The ones who had a conscience have left already.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭yagan

His supporters are never going to change their mind at this stage, but they're dying out now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,854 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

MDH was very friendly with Bishop Casey during his Galway years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

All the extravagant front and charity work.

Was he our Jimmy Savile?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭yagan

England has a lot more Jimmy Savile than they know about, Mountbatten being a prime example of those they're still not allowed to discuss.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭Radio5

I knew nothing about his nephew who was a priest, until last night's programme. The abuse continuing into another generation.

Advertisement