Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bishop Eamon Casey - Child Abuse Allegations

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,530 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

But people loved it because Casey was the lovable rogue type. Did his popularity no harm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭yagan

That was new to me too.

The fact that his niece's warnings about her uncle and brother just showed how complicit Irish authorities were in shielding the abuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭robwen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭Radio5

His nephew is deceased as far as I can recall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

And we have a lot more Caseys too.

I'd bet my mortgage on there being hundreds, maybe thousands, of abusers involved with the CC that have never been unearthed.

What we have heard over the last 30 years is only the tip of the iceberg.

Not sure why having knowledge of a paedo priest and keeping it quiet isn't a crime? Many bishops and higher up clergy are still walking the streets when they covered up the most heinous crimes against children for decades.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

100% and the Roman church have never shown any willingness to highlight all the abusers that never got unearthed or prosecuted. It's all about damage limitation. They will hardly respond to requests for info from survivors or their solicitors.

The fact that the church does not know where the 900 missing Bessborough babies are buried is an absolute crime against humanity. All the senior church leaders should be arrested until that information is provided.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Lord knows what he got up to in Ecuador, it was like sending a drug addict to Amsterdam.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,465 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Island of saints and scholars, my arse. Pedos and gombeens more like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭blackvalley

Well according to the church he “ took up a missionary position “ . 😉

They knew enough to ban him from public duties, but my question is how much exactly did the gardai know in 2007?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Tow

And to pay out over 100,000 in compo to several people. There is no way the church was paying compo if they were not sure he was guilty.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,996 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I wonder was Father Horan friendly with Casey. I am not suggesting he knew anything untoward about Casey, just wondering if they were friendly. In fairness a lot of people were hoodwinked by him due to his cunning and loveable rogue facade. What excuse does the guy from Shelter and the former Irish times religious correspondent have though. It seems their egos won't allow them to admit the truth about Casey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,854 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

just to report on what a mix of ppl I met during my work rounds told me today

Everyone except 1 person was naturally disgusted at the allegations and has huge sympathy for the victims.

3 or 4 - all older ppl recalled the “great work” the “great” Bishop Casey did and how it was awful shame this is what came out.

4 or 5 ppl felt the documentary itself was too long with lots of repeated info and clips and should have been 1 hour.

1 person said they didn’t believe the allegations and that it was disgraceful to broadcast it after the man is dead and gone and cannot reply to the allegations. This person also questioned what RTÉ agenda is.

Ive seen a few people here sawing it was too long, but I felt it nicely knitted the sequence of events together. Plus tying other victims unknown to each other into the narrative was vital for showing how institutions get away with their crimes if victims think these are only exceptional failings, which we know now we're intentional institutional coverups.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭aero2k

I watched the doc on player last night - very depressing, and the cover-up seems very wide-ranging. Patricia Donovan was very credible - what an awful childhood.

Terry Prone was on Newstalk with Pat Kenny yesterday. She had a story about how her late husband Tom Savage, himself a former priest, had nothing but contempt for Casey. Savage had done some research into homelessness, and Casey passed it off as his own. Not much integrity there, on top of the hypocrisy.

Fintan O'Toole tells a story in "We Don't Know Ourselves" about being in a car while Casey was driving. He was extremely reckless and displayed no fear of being caught or punished.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,564 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

The Diocese of Galway, Kilmacduagh and Kilfenora has said that “time and space” is needed “to consider and consult” on the interment of Eamonn Casey in the crypt of Galway Cathedral following the emergence of allegations of sexual abuse against the former Bishop.

They knew all about the multiple accusations of abuse against him but kept it all hushed up and then gave him a hero's send-off.

A total of 11 bishops and 61 priests took part in the concelebrated funeral mass for Casey in Galway’s Cathedral on March 16th, 2017.

That says it all about the RCC. They just don't care about the immense damage they have done.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭calculator

They never have done and they never will. The organisation is rotten to the core and beyond rehabilitation. But it's so embedded in our culture it's very hard to see how it will be properly ousted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭phormium

Heard him tell the joke many times that he had a licence to speed, as in look at my licence where it says 'tear along the dotted line'.

Playback on Radio 1 did a good piece on the Casey story. The Liveline had a lot of angry listeners giving out about the church and pushing for his body to be taken from the Cathedral crypt and buried in a family plot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭calculator

My mum would be fairly religious ( not in a zealot way though) and she said to me today that he should be dug out of it. I think the 'ordinary decent Catholics' are pretty fucked off with the constant stream of horror stories. Will listen to Playback, thank you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭donaghs

Looks like the Irish Mail on Sunday reported allegations of Casey being a paedophile back in 2019. The story didn't seem to get much traction then? I don't recall hearing about it:

https://www.pressreader.com/ireland/the-irish-mail-on-sunday/20190421/page/13/textview

https://journalismawards.ie/ja/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/investigate7.pdf

Was it because people don't take the Daily Mail seriously? Or because only now the Catholic Church are admitting they knew?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,927 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

I do recall it but then again I remember the reports in2006 also - the 2006 reports were written or reported on in a way that the reader was given the impression that the complaint was without foundation - as Casey was essentially forced off the pitch by his superiors anyway, he just didn’t feature in public life anymore.
    I know I felt “no smoke without fire”- but considering there were still many even more high profile cases in the news that were legally determined as truthful I guess interest waned. But since 2006 I’ve always felt there was more than just the Annie Murphy affair

I don’t specially remember this article from 2019 or how it was treated by the other media- but I guess at that point Casey was dead, he was out of public life for over 25 years so he meant very little to most people under 50 years old- - we can see from the documentary that some people who knew Casey still struggle with coming to terms with such news

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭seanin4711

Sad times indeed,that he never seen a court!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭Iscreamkone

Abuse being reported from all first world countries.

I haven’t heard much though from “The Missions” where lots of the abusers were hidden away. That could be another can of worms for the god squad.

I imagine it's still happening in 3rd world countries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭Radio5

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,927 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

I don’t want to even think of that - it’s too horrible. But yeah, I don’t think you’re wrong.

I’ve met missionary priests in the past who told me of many priests taking “wives” in African countries at least (that’s where they were working themselves)

I reckon the church or in this case the missionary orders probably took a view of “out of sight out of mind” - what happens in Africa etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,465 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

…..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

The scope of the atrocities really is a terrifying thought, what we no is barely the tip of the ice berg…and we already no a lot.

I doubt the true atrocities of the Catholic Church will ever be fully revealed, the scope is just too large, but one sure thing is as long as the Catholic Church is still functioning we will forever be getting new stories of abuse.

• Advertisement
Advertisement