Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New boundary wall no pillars

• 21-07-2024 2:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

hi all,

we have an existing boundary wall that is extremely low and everyone walking past can just look into our garden.

We would like to raise the current 4 ft wall to a 7ft wall for privacy. The wall is just facing the road and no other properties.

we were thinking block wall..

I’m wondering how can we construct the wall with no need for pillars every few metres?

The wall is 25m long and currently has two pillars for a small gate in the middle. But no other pillars to retain the wall.

Any suggestion on how we can build without pillars would be appreciated. TIA

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,457 ✭✭✭✭Victor

You will likely need planning permission for this.

Pillars are added to give a wall strength. Concrete block / stone / brick walls have limited strength. One option would be to do reinforced concrete columns within the wall, so they don't stick out. They would be visually different, so a plater or other finish might be desirable.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 tenya

thanks for your reply.

We are keeping the wall actually at 1.98m and it’s at the rear of the house so my understanding is that we don’t need planning 🤔

Yeah, I understand the purpose of pillars but I don’t like the aesthetics of that many pillars in the wall.

My parents in law recently built a full stone wall of that length and height and it has no pillars.. obviously big stones have a lot more weight and stability than a block wall..

I would have preferred to also build a stone wall but we do not have enough stone to build such a wall.

Can a block wall be built with 2 rows of 6 inch blocks to make it more stable without pillars?

I have no knowledge when it comes to building so I said I’ll ask around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 193 ✭✭bfclancy2

no, a block wall cannot go to that height with no piers, you could just push it over

Advertisement