Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Washing machine waste pipe neither 32mm or 40mm.

• 21-07-2024 3:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,858 ✭✭✭✭

folks,

I’ve a washing machine stand pipe that I’m looking to move from one side of the utility room to the other.
    The pipe that comes out of the P trap is neither 32 or 40mm- I’ve brought the length of pipe to b and q and screw fix and nothing fits.
    I want to have a small length coming out of the waste, 45 it, straight length of 300mm approx, 45 again and then straight up to take the waste from the machine with the hockey stick.

I am dealing with UK size waste pipe?
    It’s too big for 32mm fittings (same size as the flange) and too small for 40mm fittings.

Any ideas greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,858 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

just to add the external diameter is 40mm and the internal diameter is 35mm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Yep, most houses use imperial, even though b&q and screwfix sell metric.

Go to a pluming or builders providers and they'll sort you out. Likely a 1 1/2 inch pipe, which is 38mm.

Same issue with a new build, everything is imperial

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Perks

Would a coupler get you out of jail?

So I’ve UK pipe is it?
    Im gonna have to cut that bit of pipe coming up outta the P trap and either get the 35mm fittings or as @Perks suggests use a coupler onto the 35mm and 32mm out the other side.

Ok so I’d be able to put a coupler straight onto a short piece of the 35mm coming out of the P trap and then go 32mm out the other side?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Return everything you bought and go to a plumbing suppliers. Explain the situation to them and they'll sell you everything you need for half the price of b&q

yeah but I really need to get this done today 🤣🤣.
    Im impatient!
    I actually haven’t bought anything yet as I brought the waste pipe with me to check the fittings.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Perks

I think 40mm is the standard but I'd rock a 32mm without blinking for a washing machine if I wanted to do it fast and super easy with a coupler.

just to update this, i figured out that the pipe i was measuring coming out of the P trap, is in fact a larger diameter stand pipe to allow the washing machine hose to be put in the top of the pipe, but allow a sufficient amount of air to escape/enter so as not to cause syphoning of the water.

That's why it wasn't the same size as 1 1/2 or 1 1/4.

Advertisement