Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Parent with Dementia etc

• 21-07-2024 4:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

My mother has dementia. I have a few siblings. My mother got ill after my father died in 2011, I moved back into the family home and lived with my mother. After treatment, she recovered and lived a full life after surgery. I remained at home. There was a delay in sorting out my father's probate partly because of her health issues and partly because the house needed structural work.I made a case for the claim and a substantial amount was paid and the works necessitated us moving out for 3 or 4 months. Both of us paid for extra works such as re-wiring etc..

Eventually, Probate was extracted in 2017. At the same time, my mother did an Enduring Power of Attorney (3 of her children including me) and decided to put the house into Joint Ownership with me which took 3 years to complete (May 2020). However, my mother didn't mention it to my other siblings. When my sister found out, in 2023, she was furious.

Unfortunately, my mother's cognitive impairment got worse over two years ago and I had to take Carer's Leave at the beginning of this year.

My siblings want to activate the EPA now, without delay, not explaining the rush or asking my opinion. Having read up on the Fair Deal Scheme, I am concerned that this may affect my home should they decide to put our mother into a nursing home.

Does anyone know if I could be compelled to sell the house or how could this affect me?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

You need to seek legal advice....and quickly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,750 ✭✭✭niallb

Very quickly.

You need to find out under what arrangement the house is in both of your names. There are several choices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,492 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

looking at it dispassionately, does your mother need residential care? If the answer is yes, it might be best to focus on this. Even if the house is the subject of a charge for Fair Deal, that does not mean that you will be homeless. If you have been living there and in receipt of carer’s allowance, you will be able to continue living there and, even in the event of death, a sale could not be forced by Fair Deal unless you were willing to move out.

Advertisement