Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Clearance for clerical job

• 21-07-2024 5:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48

Hi all I’ve recently applied for two jobs one of them in Dublin Corporation and one with Fingal. I’ve been told that both jobs will require Garda clearance and now I’m worrying as 13 years ago I had a drink driving ban. I was banned for 4 years and my full licence taken away. A few years ago I started the process all over again and last year passed my test for the second time. It’s a time in my life I am ashamed of and hate that it may prevent me getting either jobs. I didn’t realise I’d need Garda clearance for a clerical position. For the Fingal job I’ve been put on a panel in the top 15 so could be offered a position soon.
    Has anyone been in a similar position and still got the job?
    Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,032 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Not personally but I'd say lots of people have had similar and still got the job.

Usually garda clearance is needed because you'll be dealing with vulnerable people, or information about them: the employer needs to know you don't have a record of abusing such people. So a driving ban wouldn't be relevant.

There's a slight chance that it may be an issue if the job requires driving. But 13 years ago, and you've since got the license back - it's unlikely IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 dubsfan

thanks for your kind comment

Advertisement