Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vice President Kamala Harris vs Donald Trump 2024

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,740 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,055 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

Im surprised they didn't go down the "Horrible Harris" route, they wouldn't need to elucidate (they don't anyway), but it's childish enough, and open enough to use it for anything. "Her position on immigration, it's just horrible." "Her position on Israel, horrible" etc. etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,656 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Tim Walz would be an progressive move. Would actually galvanise the young vote. Has focussed on things to help ordinary people, school meals etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

Well, the Harris team have scored a similar goal with "weird". Anything he does which is a bit odd - which is a lot of things, is described as weird. The great thing about that adjective, is when you point out that someone doing something is weird, it makes you wonder what other weird things they do.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Never forget: a core tenet of [Christian] Conservatism, and one that seeps into every facet of their ideology including & especially women's [reproductive] rights, is that sex is disgusting and immoral - and women should be held to account & blame for making men wanna do it with them in the first place.

"Kinky Kamala" is just yet another little shard of glass on the floor when it comes to that narrative: and we're not so divorced from that sentiment either that it doesn't creep in here (think of the well what do you expect if you dress like that? crowd; or the attempts to shame Angela Raynor in the UK for … I kid you not, crossing her legs). The narrative is always clear if you blink and look: women are temptresses, fallen, immoral, shameful & we should find ourselves repulsive for even having sexuality at all (while the irony being those same Conservatives would condemn or mock actual asexual people as "woke" or leftie)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭swampgas

Interesting take on why the "Weird" label seems to rile up the Maga crew so much here:

https://www.noahpinion.blog/p/whos-weird (Warning: quite a long read)

In a nutshell, Weird suggests "outgroup", which they really don't like - to them, the blue-haired crazy libtards are the weirdos.

And IMO, Maga and Trump's trashing of convention, and refusing to treat their political opponents as fellow Americans and human beings has been a huge unaddressed issue. Before anything of substance can be discussed with a political opponent, some basic civility is needed. IMO the weird label helps to focus on the fact that Trump/Maga would rather shout insults than actually debate.

Post edited by swampgas on

FWIW personally hoping it's not Shapiro, but Walz. Midwest politics is pitifully represented in the Democratic party, and Walz would be a plus. Shapiro is coastal, there's enough of that. I can see him actively working in PA to deliver PA to the Democrats as its Governor and a popular politician, being the VP nominee helps with that but the VP should bring in an area that's not strong for Democrats - the overlooked Midwest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 814 ✭✭✭thatsdaft

I fully expect for Trump campaign to try to paint her as a sex crazed witch who drinks childrens blood and feasts on aborted foetuses in pizza parlour basements and hence needs to be locked up

You know the old tried and tested nonsense

Anyways

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,128 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 814 ✭✭✭thatsdaft

Thanks just catching up on events of last week Trump year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,693 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Shapiro back in to odds on, seems to be a lot of fluctuation in the market. If the announcement is due late afternoon our time, you'd think the news will leak fairly soon…

I'll say it again. She met with the people on her shortlist in person on Sunday. I'm not sure how reading what the bookies are saying indicates anything as we all know as much as each other.

Your guess is as good as mine I suppose.

I'm still hoping for Mark Kelly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,143 ✭✭✭✭briany

Musk's just bitter that he's got all the money in the world but still no-one genuinely likes him. Billionaire billy no-mates.

Surely at least 1 of his 8 children genuinely likes him? There has to be a small chance…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,551 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Plus he thinks he's smarter than everyone else when he clearly isn't

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭Rawr

With the wierd names he keeps giving them? Very small chance his kids like him…

That is blatantly untrue. I like him a lot! He is so smart and handsome. And he has a great sense of humour!

Only joking. He's a pr1ck.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I'm not even sure he's bitter nobody likes him: I think he's just the largest, most grotesque example of what happens when men (and it's always men in this case) get sucked into depending on parasocial relationships for their emotional equilibrium. If you can call it that.

Don't mistake that for sympathy mind you - the man is a cúnt, with cúnty opinions, who tarnished his own reputation - but I think Musk's behaviour smells of that kind of sweaty desperation seen across the internet by lonely men.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭Babyreignbow

Use your mighty arms to slay the fierce enemy that is selfish desire

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭techdiver

Musk never sat well with me going back years. Like what exactly has he done apart from being lucky and taking over businesses? People think he started all these companies and is some sort of Steve Jobs type (who I also think was another leech of the backs of real geniuses). You have these types in the tech industry who achieve cult like following from other nerds (I'm a software engineer and card carrying nerd BTW so not using that in a derogatory sense).

Tech CEOs often exhibit the worst traits of your typical psychopath CEOs. The only way to become that successful is to be a complete piece of **** in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,138 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

More polls showing for Harris

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/polls/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭Babyreignbow

sex is only bad when it's a woman doing it (consensually), when it's a pig faced whore fcuking rapist its👌

I know this because I'm a woman

Use your mighty arms to slay the fierce enemy that is selfish desire

Steve Wozniak was the real tech genius behind Apples success, today he is worth around 140 million dollars. Steve Jobs was maybe a genius in the business arena, which is why he was worth 10 billion at the time of his death. As you say, there is a common thread among successful tech CEO's which involves them often betraying their close and longest friends. I'm sure we've all seen The Social Network. If you've not seen it yet I recommend the movie Blackberry, which is a Canadian low budget movie but shows the rise and fall of Research in Motion/Blackberry, which has a similar theme.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,711 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Its a massive problem for Trump. He was flying high. Biden was far too old and the debate performance nailed that down.

then the assassination attempt and Trumps response, including that amazing picture.

Was that as good as it could get for Trump? Has he hit his ceiling?

What can he do now to win back the support he is losing?

Harris, or IMO more accurately, Biden stepping aside has given many hope for a new future. Not because of Harris in particular. There was a large cohort that felt neither Trump or Biden was suitable, but Trump had started to pick up their support.

Will Trumps usual line of complaint and whinging win these back?

So Trump is faced, IMO, with no only a new opponent but having to actually come up with an entirely new message.

JD Vance is not going to help in that.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,693 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,138 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Indeed. A spanner in the works could be circumstance though - if a major war breaks out in the Middle East and gas prices soar, then Kamala will be "blamed" for it, Trump would ride off that, likewise any major downturns in the economy, SM crashes or anything.

If it's plain sailing until November, barring anything dramatic happening, or any major gaffs from the Dem side, then indeed I'd be hopeful.

Now, if there's anyone within the MAGA movement who could be called as weird as Trump and as desperate for relevance as Elon Musk is, that man could be Roger Stone, seen below, looking like what happens when The Penguin and Dr Strangelove have a child but withhold all real affection throughout it's childhood.

A deeply, deeply strange man whose life's ambition appears to be….. um, well, if you ever saw the Twilight Zone episode 'Terror at 20,000 Feet' - imagine that the airplane is Washington DC…. Stone would like to be the gremlin on the wing. I would say he's more like what would have happened if Jimmy Savile had been born in the States and opted for a slightly less sensible haircut. Sees himself as a master manipulator, but is really just a fringe figure of politics whose best days are far behind him. The anger in him is something else. In the latest documentary about him, 'A Storm Foretold' when it gets to just after Jan 6th, where he's getting phone calls about potential prosecutions, he's literally snarling while he speaks. It's creepy as hell.

He's attempting to smile in the photo above, btw. I know that isn't clear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,050 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Harris is enjoying a honeymoon period, that will soon wear off and then things will settle down a bit.

She cant keep hiding away from the public, that will be Democrat strategy though, the less opportunities for her to mess up the better.

It worked for Biden in 2020, he was hidden away in the basement.

Trump is making a complete mess of his campaign, he is his own worst enemy, he needs to tone is back and appeal to moderates, Independednts but as I have reitierated for many years Im not sure he will be able to do this.

He is just too stubborn, too arrogant and too ignorant.

However, there are still 3 months to go to the election, a long time.

Whilst the MSM is doing its best to shill for Harris, there is many a slip twixt cup and lip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 481 ✭✭Stanley 1

Kelsey is still going strong @ 69, as are Frasier repeats.

• Advertisement

@Leroy42

Its a massive problem for Trump. He was flying high.

I don't know if he was really flying high because it's easy to feel that way when the heels of the competition are scraping off the ground.

In actuality, put anyone halfway exciting against him and he suddenly looks like a much different proposition. He's a weak candidate, partly due to his highly polarising nature. It's only been for the Democrats' insistence on putting up even weaker candidates against him that has kept him afloat.

Advertisement