Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vice President Kamala Harris vs Donald Trump 2024

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,143 ✭✭✭✭briany

The state of the race:-

https://www.realclearpolling.com/elections/president/2024/battleground-states

Harris has eaten into Trump's swing state leads across the board and with the Democratic convention yet to come, Harris could be looking at at least one more bump in numbers as the contest enters the home stretch.

If Harris's momentum continues, we can expect Trump's rhetoric to get considerably more conspiratorial in the next three months with mentions of a rigged election becoming a mainstay. I mean about '24. He's never shut up about '20 being rigged.

Trump's rhetoric would be one thing, but another would be how feisty the "child's idea of a man" men with their beard oil and gun collections want to get around election time if victory slips from their fingers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,837 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

It ain't gonna make a difference at this point.

Elon Musk has created an environment where Andrew Tate (under active investigation for sex trafficking) is using the Hard R N Word daily on Twitter with no restraint or censure.

A tape of Trump using it would just further embolden the path that Musk/Trump/Farage et al and the right are on. In fact, if you told me that within 5 years some politician will use it intentionally in public as a stance against the curtailment of free speech, I would have no trouble believing you.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

The Democrats need to have an army of flesh eating Lawyers teed up in all those swing states where the various MAGA operatives will try to hold up certification and claim they have "discovered issues" etc. etc.

They need to be ready to rock and roll on Election night with court orders and more.

Because Team Trump absolutely will.

I keep saying it, but no-one is listening:-

https://ny1.com/nyc/all-boroughs/news/2024/03/08/rnc-election-lara-trump-michael-whatley-republicans

Co-chair of the RNC, Michael Whatley,

Whatley, who embraced the former president's baseless claims of widespread voter fraud, said that the RNC "will be focused like a laser on getting out the vote and protecting the ballot," saying that they "hired election integrity directors in battleground states." Those individuals, he said, are "already recruiting and training tens of thousands of volunteers to serve as poll judges workers and observers who will act as real-time monitors whenever votes are being cast and counted."

"And we will do more," he pledged. "If our voters don't have confidence that our elections are safe and secure, nothing else matters."

Let us pair this with what Trump said at a speech earlier this year,

https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-calls-supporters-stop-bags-141034023.html

You should all stay in those voting booths. You should stay there and watch it. If you see bags of crap coming into the voting areas, you’ve got to stop it. You can’t let it happen, because these guys are crooked as hell. They know how to cheat.”

Now, would anyone like to tell me how self-appointed partisan poll watchers raising hell at the polling stations and counting centres when they see (as they perceive it) 'bags of crap' couldn't turn into an absolute clusterfcuk of chaos?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,167 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

yeah I think I might find my local field office and see about being a poll watcher around here. We had a weirdo last time who tried parking his propaganda-mobile at the polling place and police were slow to get it removed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,028 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

Oh I've been saying it a while. There's a reason Trump kept repeating, "We don't need your votes, we have enough votes".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,912 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

For them it's a case of the lord works in mysterious ways, none more so than through Donald!

There was a good programme on Channel 4 last night at 9:30 about the election.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,912 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

https://www.channel4.com/programmes/trump-vs-harris-the-battle-for-america

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

This is true, but she has to make a choice on just how closely she wants to be associated with Biden and his policies. Either direction comes with positives and pitfalls.

As for the Walz Guard thing, Vance is a bit out of line. Even if Walz knew a deployment was imminent, so what? Dropping a retirement packet instead of deploying is not uncommon.There is nothing wrong with a reservist, especially a senior one, saying “I spent my weekends training soldiers to deploy which was my job, but I’ve earned my retirement (20 years is the requirement) and my life situation just doesn’t suit going overseas. I don’t have to do this.” And if the unit really needed him, the retirement didn’t have to be accepted.

That said, Walz relying on his wartime experience to advocate gun control is equally out of line.

One correction to an earlier poster, Walz did not attain command, despite the rank title. The Command Sergeant Major is the senior enlisted advisor to the commander. Generally he has his finger on the pulse of morale, discipline standards and training, whilst the commander does the actual commanding, planning and coordination (and has other command authorities like disciplinary actions, property accountability etc).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭extra-ordinary_

If Harris's momentum continues, we can expect Trump's rhetoric to get considerably more conspiratorial in the next three months with mentions of a rigged election becoming a mainstay. I mean about '24. He's never shut up about '20 being rigged.

Don't think he'll allude to 'rigged election' of '24 too much other than in passing, seeing this time he'll be the one doing the rigging.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

Donald J looks fresh in that photo. Defo doesn't look his age if that is recent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,929 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

Now, would anyone like to tell me how self-appointed partisan poll watchers raising hell at the polling stations and counting centres when they see (as they perceive it) 'bags of crap' couldn't turn into an absolute clusterfcuk of chaos?

Elementary, my dear Briany, It's very simple..

Urgh.. No actually I can't. In fact instead of explaining how it couldn't turn into a clusterfcuk, I think it's highly likely it would. Are Paddy Power talking bets on it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭I.R.Y.E.D

You only have to look at their support for Israel to see why, it is based solely on their death cult fantasy that it's presence will bring about the end of days.

Apart from that they absolutely hate actual Jewish people especially those living in America as they like Catholics are in league with Satan, and are out to replace them (according to them and most of the conspiracy theory suckers online)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

No matter how clear the Democratic win is, and I believe it will be a Democratic win, Trump will spout his usual "Rigged election" nonsense.

I have no time for him, he is a Neanderthal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

If that photo is recent Donald J is looking fresh.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

The likes who protested yesterday do not deserve to be given a seat at the table if they are going to act so childish. Just yesterday she met with protest leaders beforehand, got an endorsement of one of them, and then was even very gentle with them initially when they interrupted her but only justifiably cut them off when the protesters kept doing it. They need to grow up and follow the likes of Bernie, AOC and a few others who realised their mistake in 2016.

What is a 'cop out' is the absolute fear these Gaza protesters have about facing up to Trump and protesting anywhere near his events. He has far more political power than Kamala has currently - given that he has absolute control over the majority of the GOP members in congress. It stinks of these protesters continuing for self-indulgent status and click or are simply useful idiots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,620 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

The difference is astounding, I'm liking this Walz guy more and more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 874 ✭✭✭ollkiller

Picking him as VP seems a better choice with each passing day. A down to earth person who wants to help people. The very antithesis of Trump who only cares about himself.

Just saw a quick clip of Trump strategist Stephen Miller speaking on Fox News, and the difference between someone like him and someone like Walz could not be more stark. Miller just looks oily and dead-eyed as he spews a bunch of hateful, fear-mongering buzzwords. Completely meaningless stuff that gives one a headache.

What you have on the Trump campaign is a collective of bleak, spiritually-grey men who are unhappy in themselves. At the moment the Harris campaign gained even a hint of positivity, Trump's campaign looks wretched by comparison.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

The debate about stolen valour is tough for a lot of people as we simply don't have enough knowledge of this sort of thing so people are relying on partisan hacks on both sides to understand which is dire but that's the world today.

The below GOP congressman who Trump ended had what I thought was a balanced take, Vance is been harsh but Walz is been a little "creative" with his record. Unless the GOP have more on this, then I don't see it breaking through anyway.

https://twitter.com/RepMeijer/status/1821393866542465266

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

I know the Trump campaign is flailing but I dont see how this was seen as a winning attack by them.

I'm sure there is plenty of GOP donor money looking to pay those who served with him to speak ill of Watz. His veteran status wasn't core to how he was being framed by the Harris campaign, unlike Kerry, so dont see it sticking.

Worst case Dems throw it back at draft dodger Trump and the media office marine Vance - where it is pretty ironic he is questioning Watz about being 'creative' with his record. Every time Vance is referred to as a veteran it isnt caveated with what he was doing there.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭advisemerite

In a dream World that would happen for Dems and their supporters. In reality it has less chance of happening than Biden getting reelected.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭advisemerite

K. Harris has pushed back and disagreed with comments made by her VP about social security back in 2010.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

He'll see it out until the end, then cry about it for years to come.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,864 ✭✭✭Shoog

Really ? On what basis are you making this claim. Be specific.

Is this just another Harris and Waltz have low IQs quality observation - ie lacking any substance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,586 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

If I was in their shoes, I'd be hoping for as little change as possible. But the Repuicans elevated him to God-like status and they can deal with the problems.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,864 ✭✭✭Shoog

• Registered Users Posts: 1,665 ✭✭✭Real Donald Trump

Trump wants 3 debates

• Registered Users Posts: 16,690 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Don't see how he can blame anyone else for it though. It was his own choice, grounded in arrogance and complacency, to nominate a mini-me half his age.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,656 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Advertisement