Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vice President Kamala Harris vs Donald Trump 2024

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,852 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

wrong thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,296 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Come on, he never could. Not if it wasn't an insult or a dimunition of another person.

He wouldn't know snappy if it crawled out of the Everglades and bit him on his bloated arse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Harris has a fairly easy option when debating Trump anyway. When Trump goes on and on and on with the lies about what he's going to do for working families etc, she can ask about why he barely achieved anything in his first term when he had both the House and Senate with GOP majorities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,296 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I saw a recent clip of Bill O'Reilly. Another man looking frail and confused and old.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,166 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Super cringeworthy clip of Jesse Watters trying to get his mixed race Democratic co-host to forcibly wear a "White Dudes for Harris" baseball cap

https://www.mediaite.com/tv/you-are-white-right-are-you-halfjesse-watters-presses-black-co-host-harold-ford-jr-to-wear-white-dudes-for-harris-hat/

Even Watters' other co-hosts, including Jeanine Pirrot, appeared to be shocked and uncomfortable with the bit, which leaned heavily on colorism/shadeism stereotyping of Ford Jr.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,944 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Thats the worst I've ever heard Trump speak. So bad.

Up until now he had the luxury of running against two terrible candidates - a 70 year old woman who is as unlikeable as it gets and a 77 year old career politician with advanced dementia.

Lets not forget how bad Trump will go down in the history books. Lost his reelection campaign, lost the popular vote twice and lost the House and the Senate. First Republican to "achieve" that in 125 years.

Really think if Kamala can just keep the energy levels up she could walk this election.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,656 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Harris/Walz are ahead by 2.1 points. Hope that builds to 5 or 6. Even trailing in the polls will have Trump floundering. Scaramucci says Trump is thinking of changing the backroom team, that's why he's not campaigning ATM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,028 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

I have decided that my wildest dream is that this is the year Texas turns blue*.

Oh man, could you imagine how much that would get under Musk's skin?

After making such a fuss about moving his bases there.

*Wildest dream AKA, never gonna happen. I know this.

If anything it'll turn more red.

Was down there for a bit last year. Houston, Austin, San Antonio, surrounding towns.

They really don't like Biden and democratic policies. Seem to be worried Texas will go the way of California.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,548 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

• Advertisement

This won't be a walk for her at all, this is going to be a marathon.

One of the key things too about why Harris has been so limited in appearance this term and why she is so visible now is the Senate. One of the key roles of the Vice President is to be President of the Senate and oversee tie breaker votes, and this Senate is split right down the middle: 50 Republicans to 48 Democrats who caucus with 2 Independents.

The reason she can and has been doing back to back to back to back rallies is the Senate schedule, they're in recess right now, but that won't be the case for the rest of the race, she will potentially be unable to schedule anything in September:

https://www.senate.gov/legislative/resources/pdf/2024_calendar.pdf

Having said that, Because of her tie breaking vote and the caucus with Independents, Chuck Schumer is the Senate Majority Leader, so she at least doesn't have to worry that eg. on the night of the debate, the GOP votes in some radical new bill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,305 ✭✭✭✭L1011

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,143 ✭✭✭✭briany

Yeah, it's definitely not normal for Trump not to be out doing rallies, but as Scaramucci noted also, almost having his head blown off his shoulders has thrown him off his game. It's not exactly hard to suspect that Trump was severely rattled by coming so close to death. The shakeup in the Democrat campaign has just given Trump an excuse of sorts for an extended strategic retreat.

Now, if Scaramucci is correct that Trump is thinking of 'getting the band back together' and reconvening with Bannon et al, Bannon probably won't be advising Trump on talking points for debates. Bannon is the man who said earlier this year that he wanted MAGA volunteers to go out and infiltrate county election offices up and down the land - to go 'village by village'. I could envisage a lot of wargaming about another 'stolen election' with that crew.

It probably isn't that Trump's campaign managers have been so good previously, but that the campaign didn't have to do much against a frail Biden. Trump was happy enough to stay broadly on message because he had nothing to panic and flail about for. This is what I have said about Trump before: the man cannot handle choppy seas. Even a stiff breeze gets his back up. He thought he was a great president until Covid hit and then he completely shat the bed. Couldn't even stop himself from quarreling over basic public health messaging. Now, he can't handle the Democrats starting to put it up to him a bit. He's really not leader material in that aspect, even before you get to all the other stuff.

If the Trump of last night turns up to the debates she'll steamroll him.

Shes was a prosecutor lets not forget. Those legal types are ruthless and there isnt a better profession on earth in terms of debating. Concise, factual, biting etc vs some old man spouting waffle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

The people living in the Texas cities however hate Trump.

I don't know…

Anyone can have a bad debate night and I'm not gonna call it a steamroll before it happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,143 ✭✭✭✭briany

It's not about who is the best debater. It's about who can sell themselves the best and stop their opponent from outselling them. We know Trump's playbook. Harris has to counter those tactics in a way that makes people stand up and take notice.

Indeed. But Houston, Austin, Dallas and San Antonio only make up about 6 or 7 million people from a population of 30 million.

I hope Im wrong. I guess we'll see if Trump or Harris make a play for Texas this time. Then we'll know its close.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

All I want from Texas is for Ted Cruz to lose..Hopefully the Harris momentum is enough to close the 3/4 point lead he currently has.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,929 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

You know the phrase "Never argue with an idiot, they bring you to their level and beat you from experience".

If she does agree to a CNN hosted debate where mics get muted, she can answer Anderson Coopers questions calmly and reasonably and let himself bluster for his two minutes.

That is the strategy I would be going for. Treat it almost like a one hour rally, but with questions, and basically ignore Trump.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

There's more of a shot in Florida tbh and that's still a long shot

DeSantis is increasingly unpopular and they have an abortion bill on the ballot the same day which should drive the turnout from the Democrat and Independent voters so they can make it a fight for sure but don't know if they can tip it.

If they do , then Trump is done..He cannot win without Florida

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,864 ✭✭✭Shoog

Trump may have had a rage embolism by that point making all this mute. Its certainly on the cards given his rising panic.

I would imagine every evening is like that scene from the Bunker at this stage.

Post edited by Shoog on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,016 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Speaking of dreams. Some fella called MLK used to go on about some dream he had. His crowds weren't as big as mine though.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Movementarian

This entire thing is absolutely mad.

Maybe it has happened but I haven't seen it but surely it doesn't even matter about policies or personalities at all.

You have a candidate running for arguably the most powerful position in the world who refused to and still hasn't accepted he lost the last election. He openly hasn't said he will accept it this time if he loses. In fact hes repeatedly said things like bloodbath and dicatator and hes praised Xi and Putin for how they in power for practically life.

In what world is that not the first and only thing people need to know? Like why doesn't every debate and interview open with that?

A person who will not commit to those things is not someone a single person should vote for. I

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,929 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

Trump:"No-one died on January 6th".

Actually 9 people died.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,656 ✭✭✭✭Water John

No one died. Certainly likes alternative facts.

at minimum he’s forgotten about their would be martyr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭I.R.Y.E.D

I am sure that the trump supporters and centerists will be able to explain what he actually meant and he didn't forget her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,737 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

How not to improve your outreach with Black voters. Convicted Felon Trump's lost it and its tragic, but enjoyable, to see.

Advertisement