Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vice President Kamala Harris vs Donald Trump 2024

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,929 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

The clip I heard had Elon say "you know", about 5 times. For a moment I thought I was listening to a County hurling finalist, not one of the richest most affluent men in the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 548 ✭✭✭RickBlaine

Trump keeps saying that Harris replacing Biden is unconstitutional which is complete BS. If he says so again in the debate, I really hope she asks him to name that part of the constitution. It will show him as not having a clue and he'll look weak. Likewise, I hope he gets asked to define what a tariff is because he thinks it involves money flowing into the US from abroad.

One of the issues I had with Biden during his debate is that he just didn't have the mental stamina to effectively combat Trump's lies and nonsense. For example, when Trump took credit to capping the price of insulin even though that was a Biden achievement, if I were Biden I would have asked Trump to name the act that did so. He wouldn't have had a clue.

Love your username!

Yes, we ideally need younger people running. Real debates, not one guy shouting random sound bites and the other too slow to call him on them.

Unfortunately in modern life scenes like this do not happen:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭chooseusername

• Advertisement

Then he would say it is the Main Stream Media trying to silence him - and some people would believe him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,167 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

drip drip drip

“I know nothing about Project 2025” yet the training videos show dozens of personalities recorded for the training introduce themselves as high ranking political members of the Trump administration

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

This and Abortion have holed his campaign far below the water line.

He can no longer just point at Joe Biden and say "Look, he has dementia!!!" as a distraction.

The attention is all on him and the sh!tty people he has surrounded himself with.

And he's just not capable of shifting the narrative.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,296 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

You should read it.

Most of it is in words of one syllable or less, there is executive summaries etc.

It would be almost hilarious if it weren't so genuinely reminiscent of Italy and later Germany between about 1920 and '35.

The best thing America could do is for anyone with a voice to turn a harsh spotlight on some of these goons who have written it and send them scurrying.

Trump is the patsy here (although no less complicit for it), the real danger men are former mid level cheap suits in his previous administration, namely the current leadership of The Heritage Foundation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,167 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

It's "that's Marla" all over again

https://www.mediaite.com/news/trump-bizarrely-says-kamala-harris-looks-like-melania-on-time-cover-in-rant-over-beautiful-vp/

Trump is crazy for stupid sexy Kamala Harris

DONALD TRUMP: I saw a picture of her on time magazine today. He [sic] looks like the most beautiful actress ever to live. It was a drawing.

And, uh, actually, she looked very much like a great first lady. Melania. She looked–.

ELON MUSK: (LAUGHS).

DONALD TRUMP: She didn’t look.

ELON MUSK: Yeah.

DONALD TRUMP: She didn’t look like Camilla. That’s right. But of course, she’s a beautiful woman, so we’ll leave it at that, right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,638 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Managed to ninja Epstein in as well (0:19) I see 😆

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Genuine question why would you watch the MSNBC analysis of this or well anything? Its pretty much Fox news for lefties.

At least CNN tries to keep some sort of balance and doesn't exclusively cater to people locked away in echo chambers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,118 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

I must admit, after that assassination attempt I assumed that he had just been handed the presidency. That you could have called it there and then.

I do believe that, had Biden continued, Trump would have won the election. Now I'm not so sure. Harris does need to do interviews. Sure, she's all smiles and jokes on the campaign trail but she needs to show she's not Hilary Clinton. Hilary Clinton was not very likeable and came across as cold and arrogant in the debates and he was most definitely a protest vote*

Waltz has that whole "Minnesota Nice" thing going which is really effective counterpoint to the Trump/Vance doom/gloom. They (Trump/Vance) need to come up with a new angle. Need to talk about something other than "loony lefties" and "Woke". People have had nothing but that for years and the constant repetition seems to be losing it's effect on what both parties need the most: The Undecideds. Of course Trump's people are going to vote for him. Of course Dems are going to vote for Harris. But it's the Undecideds and middle ground that will make or break the election.

The "Weird" angle really seems to be hurting because it's something everyone can understand and it strikes at a deep level. You can go on about "Threat to Democracy" and "Dividing the Nation" and all that but that (Rightly or wrongly) comes across as overblown. But "They're weird" really strikes home. It makes people look again: "Yeah, that… that IS yeah, that's pretty weird the way they do that. Huh". It's the "Huh" that makes them look again.

So Trump/Vance need to come up with something other than more doom and gloom. Trump congratulating Musk on his mass firings is not going to go down well with the undecideds. You can't talk about The Economy and how people are feeling the pinch while also celebrating the mass firings of thousands of Americans. Again, his core won't care but others will

But Harris needs to be out there doing TV interviews. Not as counterpoints to trump's twitter appearances but simply 5 min interviews on news programmes or chat shows. Whether you agree with them or not, she SHOULD be on some show saying "Did you hear him cheer on a multi-billionaire firing tens of thousands of Americans to make more money? Those are real people! This is not his TV show, Jimmy. Does he know that?"

He needs to come up with a FOCUSED message with specifics. As much of a failure as his wall was, it was a focal point. Something people could latch onto (If not literally). His point about entrenched politicians struck a chord in 2016.* So he needs a solid message and goal that he can bring to the debate(s) and stick to it. Rambling against a younger opponent who stays on point is not a good look. It will make him look unfocused and vague. And he has being saying the same thing for 8 years now.

• I did say it before but even NOW Michelle Obama's name is still out there and let's assume the GOPs worst case scenario in 2016 was Hilary Clinton winning. In THEIR opinion they were probably thinking:
      • Bush 1988 - 1992
      • Clinton 1992 - 1996
      • Clinton 1996 - 2000
      • Bush 2000 - 2004
      • Bush 2004 - 2008
      • Obama 2008 - 2012
      • Obama 2012 - 2016
        • Clinton 2016 - 2020
        • Clinton 2020 - 2024
        • Obama 2024 - 2028
        • Obama 2028 - 2032

And, y'know, it wasn't beyond the realms of possibility. You could have had 40 years of America being run by 3 families. So I totally get the protest vote.

TLDR: IMHO Trump would win election if Biden stayed running. Harris needs to engage the Press and prove she's not Hilary Clinton. Trump needs to focus on specifics on the election or he will come across as doddering and lost against a younger, more focused opponent.

Edit: Typos

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

No, it's not adjusted. The federal poverty threshold is… well… federal. I agree that to be of any practical use as a metric, it should be regional (ideally to the zip code, like federal BAH is calculated), but it is not. It is defined purely by the size of the household and the number of people in it over 65 and under 18. Check the government website yourself for the fine details.

https://www.census.gov/topics/income-poverty/poverty.html

What is adjusted is the threshold for certain aid programs. Example.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/100000-income-san-francisco-70000-los-angeles-low-income/

Single people in San Francisco who earn less than $104,400 are considered low income, according to new government guidelines that determine who qualifies for some housing aid. […] Meanwhile, the official poverty line across the U.S. stands at $12,880 for a single person, which is a guideline used for other aid programs such as food stamps and the Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program. 

Note "across the US" is a single figure. San Franciscans earn almost ten times the federal poverty threshold, but are considered low income to qualify for housing aid.

A practical definition of 'poverty' is "are you able to afford what you need to live?". Housing is a pretty fundamental thing you need to live and to be able to afford. I get it, a BMW is going to cost the same in West Virginia as it will in California, give or take taxes, and a WV resident is less likely to be able to afford it. On the other hand, there is arguably an inherent wealth in the fact that seventy-something percent of West Virginians are not going to have to worry about where to get money for the rent when they are retired, and they are also paying directly into their own net worth, instead of someone else's (My entire mortgage on my California property is covered by my tenant, one of the 46% of Californians who rent). Actual poverty is far more complicated than just comparing with the federal standard.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

I think Harris has managed things really well so far.

She needed to get out on the hustings and not sit in Studios doing interviews , the impact of those public rallies in terms of showing the levels of public support and the rage that it has induced in Trump has been invaluable for her campaign.

The Convention is this week and she'll have all the media coverage she could wish for.

She has spoken to the press a few times this week and not one of them asked her a useful question - Every single question was "Trump said/did XYZ , what do you think?"

If that's all they have , she's wasting her time having Press conferences.

Next week she can do a sit down interview as the fully confirmed candidate riding high after the convention. Trump will still complain , Right wing media will still complain about something but she'll have done the interview.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 548 ✭✭✭RickBlaine

I'm aware of how left leaning MSNBC is but I typically watch it only for Lawrence O'Donnell and Jen Psaki because I agree with their messaging. I accept the argument that they can appear smug but they are effective communicators of their messages, especially O'Donnell. Reading the comments on his Youtube videos, it appears that a lot of American viewers only watch MSNBC for him. For example, this is a very impressive monologue about how the media is letting Trump off easy, and he doesn't hold back on MSNBC either:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZD-oTJ49nls

On the opposite side of the scale would be Joy Reid. She is OK occasionally but sometimes goes totally off the rails. I remember during a live panel discussion, Jen Psaki eye rolled at something Reid said. Can't remember exactly what they were discussing but I saw that clip on Twitter.

I watch CNN for a more balanced opinion.

I know some left leaning people also watch Fox to get the right's viewpoint but my BS tolerance isn't high enough I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

That burdened metric is pretty poor one to try to use in this discussion.

You could be on $10k net a month in NYC with their average mortgage payment there of $3k and be on that graphic while in West Virginia earn $4.2k net and not be on it with that states average mortgage payment of $1.2k.

The person in NYC would have $4k greater disposable income after they pay their mortgage - which is nearly as much as the West Virginian takes home originally net.

The previous table you shared of the % of home ownership by state is similarly flawed. The bottom 7 each have very large cities that take a significant proportion of total population of the state, where many do not stay in the city or state long term and prefer to rent. The difference outside of the top 8 and the bottom 8 is 10%, which is pretty insignificant when you look at all the other metrics where the red states are absolutely failing.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,506 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

The lies are terrible. Why make them so stupid??

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2024/08/13/trio-silly-false-claims-that-jd-vance-makes-about-kamala-harris/?utm_campaign=wp_post_most&utm_medium=email&utm_source=newsletter&wpisrc=nl_most&carta-url=https%3A%2F%2Fs2.washingtonpost.com%2Fcar-ln-tr%2F3eb254f%2F66bb83d8c72197792afe222c%2F5ed8cadeae7e8a4360963d1a%2F10%2F57%2F66bb83d8c72197792afe222c

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Watching this now:

Trump: "It will be the interview of the century" according to his tweet yesterday.

What I saw was less coherent than Beaker from the Muppets interviewing Shane McGowan.

• Advertisement

Irony is officially dead..

Tim Walz’ ugly attacks on his political rivals may excite his perpetually angry base but are a turn-off for many

Hard to know where to even start trying to understand that…

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

I suspect there's some circular logic there. If it was a great, affordable place with good services, why wouldn't anyone choose to stay in a city or state long term? The problem is it's stupidly expensive, and they can't afford it. On the plus side, San Francisco's school district doesn't have to cost the taxpayer much, there are fewer children as fewer who want a family can live there. (49,000 in the city's school district, pop 808k. For comparison, my current school district is 60,000 students, 428k population). If they had similar home ownership rates, the 'burdened by housing costs' rate would be far more horrible than they already are.

You'll find that the 'net excess' isn't all that great either. I didn't get my car repaired in California, I waited until Texas where it was more affordable, even after the cost of putting it on a truck. A friend of mine still in San Jose just posted on FB his electricity bill in shock, I'm paying a third per KwH (and my solar installation was cheaper, too). Compare a California gas station price with a Texas one. I pay $60 for my car registration (actually, my first is free), California wanted $450 for the same car. Even repairing a wooden fence is costing thrice per foot between my TX and CA houses. That net excess after housing disappears pretty damned quickly in high-cost-of-housing states: The other employees need to be able to afford rent as well!

Still, I am quite happy to stipulate that many more New Yorkers or Californians have multi-thousand-dollar excesses than West virginians or Alabamans as a percentage, but what started this line of discussion was a post at the other end of the scale, that of poverty. As a chart, it proves even less, because in order to not be in financial trouble in many of those States, one needs less, and it's a much more critical division. It's nicer to have more money than you need to live, but if you have less than you need to live, the result is critical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,739 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Just don't be a female needing health care in Texas, especially prenatal care. Cost of living doesn't matter if you're dead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,842 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

I woke up this morning to see text of Trumps interview with Musk. I immediately thought it was a meme, thinking there's no way he'd actually say that. Then, around lunch time someone sent me a clip of it, I still thought it was a meme but that someone had run it through some Godforesaken AI nonsense.

Then, I saw the BBC quoting it!

Anyone who looks at this guy and thinks that he is the best option for President needs to have a massive look at themselves. Like this is SNL Level 2 (on a scale of 1-10 for sharp comedy).

I say this with 1000% conviction, future generations will play that clip of Trump and Musk and laugh at the foolishness of 21st century society in the same way we think about Caligula supposedly appointing his horse as senator. Like WTF with capitals W T F.

Oh, and just now I read that the UAW have launched suits against both Trump and Musk because Trump praised him on the interview for having fired striking workers.

Charles Bukowski's quote, 'The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence' was made for fools like these two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,865 ✭✭✭Shoog

Musk has shown himself to be suffering from a mental illness (at least one) so we shouldn't be paying attention to a single word that passes his lips.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,842 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

We shouldn't but we have to. He bought one of the worlds leading communication platforms and is allowing it (forcing it) to be used for the spread of hateful and harmful messaging.

Remember how aggrieved Conservatives get with the concept of indoctrination and 'celebrity influencers, and yet they absolutely lap up this guys every word and he is genuinely harmful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,729 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Didn't realise being a gobshite was a mental illness now

I don't believe this constant narrative about him having mental issues or that his drug use explains his behaviour. Frankly it's almost an insult to people with genuine mental health or substance abuse problems to compare them to Elon

He's a gobshite through and through, he's been that way all his life. Anyone who has worked with him constantly says he's a narcissistic prick.

He's always held extreme views about things like corporate oversight or hate speech laws. He just kept them under the lid in the past, partly because he had people around him who were capable of critical thinking and would openly disagree with him

Now he's convinced himself he's the smartest guy ever and he's surrounded by sycophants who tell him he's the greatest human being of all time. He's also got the ultimate chest codes for accountability which are money and influence, so he's free to spew whatever garbage comes into his head to an audience of millions

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 16,690 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

It's like they were enacting one of the great works of Western art

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I was watching a video about Waynes World earlier, which changes this from frightening to out right hilarious in regards how I imagine the conversation went. Wayne "Oldie in the bunker" Campbell and Garth "The toad" Algar

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,865 ✭✭✭Shoog

He is a manic depressive who self medicated for his condition, a severely dibilitation mental illness. He is not a fit person to be in charge of a multi billion pound industry.

Advertisement