Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vice President Kamala Harris vs Donald Trump 2024

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭paddyisreal

Insulting people you supposedly have on ignore ..... Lol

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Whose Taxes are both sides talking about changing?

All of Harris' tax changes are aimed at the mega wealthy who can well afford it. Trump wants to give them MORE money by cutting their (and his) taxes.

"Supply side" economics is a proven bust - There is no "trickle-down" effect and their never has been . None of the money saved by lowering Corporation tax would go to more jobs/increased salaries , it would go to share buys backs and dividend payouts which is exactly what happened the last time he reduced it.

Trump plans would stoke inflation and simply hand more and more money to the 1% by taking it out of the pockets of the other 99%.

And don't get me started on the utter stupidity of his Tariff plans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Rawr

Are we pretending that Trump as policies again? Well, in fairness that's the go-to tactic by "centrists" to play-act like Donnie is somehow a serious political player, instead of what we all know he is (including his supporters if they ever learned to be honest.)

Donnie might "support" a tax position from GOP folk? Donnie doesn't give a flying feck what tax rates are being considered or debated about. Donnie only cares about his own damned well-being. It's still shocking how much this needs to be repeated to people who I assume possess functioning senses, but this man has been shown time and again since the 80's to only give a damn about himself. And he keeps doing it.

Shall we stop waisting time by pretending that Donnie is somehow equiped to a act as a politician? We both know his appeal to many a "centrist" on here is not down to tax proposals or laws or any of the usual grown-up stuff that comes with Government work. You like him because he is a vile sh*tstirrer. You like him because he has no filter and will say the worst things imaginable and couldn't care less about the damage he can do to a public office or the state it serves. You like him because the people you hate, the normal folk who care about others, are upset by him.

Let's stop pretending that's down to anything grown-up….like taxes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,809 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Unfortunately no rational person could believe trump's proposals given how he blew out the deficit last time (pre-covid). He needs to be outlining where he's cutting but the GOP has moved from small to big government over the past couple of decades with no sign of pulling back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,166 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

what’s insane about her policy?

Trump tried his policy already and it didn’t grow the economy, he promised 4,5,6 percent GDP growth. He couldn’t manage 3. He did worse than Obama who pulled us out of the banking and housing collapse

Literal insanity would be trying Trump policies again and expecting a new result

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,143 ✭✭✭✭briany

(Trump inherits economic recovery from Obama)

"We built the greatest economy the world has ever seen…"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,028 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

Good.

The country is f*cked because there's too much money being hoarded by wealthy people. The roads are f*cked, the railways are f*cked, bridges are f*cked.

All this needs a tax increase. Do you want to take it from the middle class or the corporations and wealthy that haven't been paying their fair amount since Reagan?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,548 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Indeed, it works for Ireland doesn't it, plus keep those big corps for getting too big

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,852 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

I have to go through that daily at work already !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,138 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

In all my time here I've never seen any politican on here generate so many posters who have to constantly rereg. Supporters reveal a lot about a candidate.

• Advertisement

to underscore this point, Trump promised that Foxconn would build a new $10Bn LCD plant as a result of his tax cuts. But that plant was never built.

The money in the CHIPS act is structured so that it has to be spent as proscribed.

Indeed what did industries actually spend their tax cuts on? Buybacks

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-04-14/big-tech-s-big-tax-ruse-industry-splurges-on-buybacks-not-jobs

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Just like the guy they claim not to support they are incapable of debating using facts and information and instead resort to abuse and stupid nicknames, which gets them banned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭I.R.Y.E.D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭I.R.Y.E.D

People support whomever they have the most in common with which reveals a lot about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,654 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Don't forget the fact they throw the toys out of the pram when their insults and nicknames are responded to with insults and nicknames. Again just like the dimwit-in-chief.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,615 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I have no doubt whatsoever that a substantial portion of the polarisation, alienation and inequality we see in contemporary society could be alleviated if the rich and corporations were taxed a whole lot more than is currently the case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Rawr

I'm trying to stick to the general theme of MAGA-ish-ness when discussing them, but this phenominom just smacks of the state of MAGAworld and those who live within it.

I'm convinced that most of them know that their positions are built on poorly assembled fiction, or even upon the larger fiction that Donald Trump can be anything useful to the world. They know this, and it burns them up when they see the rest of society discuss the alterntives. It burns them up that the rest of society might be happy that an alternative to this decripit loser of a man might come forward and be President instead of him. Doesn't matter if it were Biden, or Harris, or frankly anyone…their anger would be the same.

So they lash out. They call us a LGBTQLMNOPRST Marxist Pink-haired echo-chamber, when my gut feeling is that the anti-Trump cohort on this site is made up a of a wide spectrum of views. The acceptance of reality is the default position for most, which is why the far-right are in the minority. They lash out angrily because they are alone in this, and have little left than to re-reg, take our rejection of their worldview personally, and use a inordinate amount of energy to convince themselves (and any follow traveller they hope to encounter) that they are somehow not wrong…

Unfortunatly, no matter how hard you wish or scream or chant the name of your beloved God-King…you can't change reality. And so this circus continues…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,553 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

The most annoying people have been those that can't shut up telling us how bad Trump is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Sigma101

I agree with this. It's good to see so many people here in favour of taxing the rich in America. It's worth pointing out though that the corporation tax rate here is far lower. The only political party that I know of that is in favour raising corporation tax here is PBP. All of the major parties here are opposed to an increase. Surely Irish people who are in favour of the Democrats' raising the tax rate would vote for politicians here that promote similar policies?

Yeah..It's not the fire that does the damage , it's the damn fire alarm.

Can we all just not be let die of smoke inhalation in our sleep like civilised people…

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,615 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

What's interesting is that the "Golden age" of the 1950's and 60's that a lot of the MAGA types like to hark back to was a time when Tax rates for Corporations and the ultra wealthy were many many multiples of what they are today.

Unions were also a lot stronger before they got gutted by Reagan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 548 ✭✭✭RickBlaine

Regarding the "woke" discussion (which admittedly has the risk of derailing this, or indeed any, thread), if you ask 20 people to define "woke", you'll probably get 20 wildly different responses ranging from the reasonable to the absurd to the downright racist or sexist. That is why I think that word has lost all meaningful usage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,050 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Any Ltd company in Ireland is liable for Corporate tax, these business owners are risk takers, entrepreneurs, employers, they drive and shape the economy.

People like this need to be encouraged and rewarded not taxed to death.

Personal tax in Ireland is draconian, this has to be paid after Corporate tax.

To say Corporate Tax only affects rich people is nonsense

Does Corporate tax in the US only apply to large Corporations ? or do smaller businesses come under the umbrella too, or is there a seperate small business tax ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,553 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

This is the sort of nonsense we've been hearing for the last 10 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,270 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

Given the plans of project 2025, that can be considered policy.... That's got far reaching impacts. He's going in with a far more prepared team this time round. But even last time, he caused a lot of damage.

one would hope you already knew the answers to these questions before you accused Harris of having an “insane” tax policy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,929 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

I saw his message, realised I have no interest in his witterings and added him to my ignore list.

I didn't insult him. I didnt give him one bit of notice.

Advertisement