Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vice President Kamala Harris vs Donald Trump 2024

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 811 ✭✭✭thatsdaft

Imagine the meltdown trump would have

I can’t wait

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,050 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Trump back as favourite with the bookmakers amid growing speculation independent presidential candidate Robert F. Kennedy Jr. will drop out of the White House race and endorse the Republican nominee

Interesting food for thought from David Axelrod.

The strategist thinks that should the election be held today, Trump would still prevail.

"I'm not sure who would win, and I think it may well be President Trump because its an electoral college fight," Axelrod said on CNN Monday. "For a Democrat to win to those battleground states, they need to have a significant lead in the electoral college."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,772 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Isn't Swift playing gigs etc in London at the minute?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,615 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Every sensible political commentator and pollster is saying the race is an extremely close one and, in many key swing states, a statistical dead heat. It is absolutely too close to call at the moment. Democrats or Republicans who say otherwise are talking nonsense, and based on current numbers November could easily go either way. TBH, I've only really heard Democrats acknowledging that this is going to be a challenging race for them. Several speeches this week - including from Walz - have repeatedly underlined that.

That said, a month ago every sensible political commentator and pollster was - correctly - saying it was all but in the bag for Trump. Things have changed, and will continue to change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,163 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Except in all the swing state polls, Harris is leading everywhere but Georgia. North carolina is even in play.

The only poll that matters is in November, and the bookies never matter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 548 ✭✭✭RickBlaine

This isn't particularly new or even incisive. Harris herself said she is the underdog. I think he is just pouring a hard dose of realism on the euphoria democrats have been feeling lately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,028 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

Gotta be honest, I am not up to date with her touring schedule 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,664 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

They are a very good indicator in the exchanges.

Not the bookies.

Her last London and European date was on Tuesday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,163 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Reportedly just finished up

"We have officially wrapped the European leg of The Eras Tour. With it came the most passionate crowds I’ve ever played for, new traditions in the show, and an entirely new era added in. It was a more hectic pace than we’d done before, and I’m so proud of my crew/fellow performers for being able to physically perform that show and build our massive stage, take it apart, and make magic with so few days in between for recovery and travel. They’re the most impressive people I know and I’m so lucky they gave The Eras Tour their time, their energy, and their expertise.

"Walking onstage in London was a rollercoaster of emotions. Having our Vienna shows cancelled was devastating. The reason for the cancellations filled me with a new sense of fear, and a tremendous amount of guilt because so many people had planned on coming to those shows. But I was also so grateful to the authorities because thanks to them, we were grieving concerts and not lives. I was heartened by the love and unity I saw in the fans who banded together. I decided that all of my energy had to go toward helping to protect the nearly half a million people I had coming to see the shows in London. My team and I worked hand in hand with stadium staff and British authorities every day in pursuit of that goal, and I want to thank them for everything they did for us. Let me be very clear: I am not going to speak about something publicly if I think doing so might provoke those who would want to harm the fans who come to my shows.

"In cases like this one, ‘silence’ is actually showing restraint, and waiting to express yourself at a time when it’s right to. My priority was finishing our European tour safely, and it is with great relief that I can say we did that.

"And then London felt like a beautiful dream sequence. All five crowds at Wembley Stadium were bursting with passion, joy, and exuberance. The energy in that stadium was like the most giant bear hug from 92,000 people each night, and it brought me back to a place of carefree calm up there."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Obviously Kamala needs to deliver a good speech tonight to reach out to the voters at home watching because she needs them to come out and vote.The cheering crowds in the arena are already on board so wouldn't read much into their reaction .Still to close to call ,hard to find real independent analysis of the race in general .

It's been pointed out that they have not kept to schedule which has pushed Biden's and Walz's speeches passed 11:00pm ET and therefore out of prime time on the east coast. Surely they will try to ensure Harris is airing during prime time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,929 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

The final date of the tour was two days ago. Don't ask me how I know that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,961 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Oprah Winfrey is a devious snake, I can't stand her.

She can't stand herself. I don't know if overall it's a positive thing having her backing Harris. And Bill Clinton is really starting to show his age now, well he is 78 after all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,737 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Bill Clinton, as he said in his speech, is younger than Convicted Felon Trump.

O.K. so who was that amazing guitarist playing with John Legend at the DNC, along with Sheila E.?

She really shredded it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,028 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

She was listed in 2022 Time Magazines top 100 influential people in the world.

I doubt she's slipped down that much since 2022.

What makes her devious? She is a god to some in America.

Bill Clinton was already president…twice. His age doesn't matter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,961 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Ya, I know, I watched it. I heard him saying he's 78 and the oldest man in his family for 4 generations, before adding that he's still younger than Trump.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

And as he said himself, still younger than Trump despite it being almost 25 years since he left Office.

All that Ageism that was directed at Biden is now all on him.

I read an article earlier saying that Trumps decision to go for the really debate might go down as the biggest Campaign Own goal in history.

Had he stuck to the normal schedule and not had a debate until after the conventions, Biden would still be on the ticket and the Democrats would be stuck with him and Trump would have walked it.

But his ego and hubris wouldn't let him do the sensible thing.

I'm watching Bill Clinton's speech from yesterday. It cuts to Leo Varadkar when Clinton mentions politicians voluntarily giving up power.

https://www.youtube.com/live/_rb672-MvFo?si=NgedTEtpLdijv7lP&t=10466

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,143 ✭✭✭✭briany

Trump and news outlets like Fox didn't expect Trump to do that well in the June debate. That is at least to say that they were propagating the conspiracy theory that Biden would be shot full of wake-up juice for the event, explaining why to their followers why Biden seemed more lucid than they were led to believe.

As it turned out, Biden really wasn't that lucid. I think that they thought Biden would, at worst, be a bit halting and doddery like in his stump speeches up to that point. A poor look, but not quite 'step down' levels.

Trump and team probably wanted to box the debates off relatively early so that there was time to campaign around them if Trump had a meltdown. It wasn't a miscalculation since the extent of Biden's decline wasn't known to them. If it had been known, there's no way in hell they would have agreed to a June debate, and would definitely have only agreed to one after the convention.

But it is funny when Trump goes, "Oh whyyyy did I agree to that debate!!". It's hilarious how he can't hide his chagrin.

Funny line from Clinton:

"What are [foreign leaders] supposed to make of these endless tributes to the ‘late, great Hannibal Lecter’? I mean, President Obama once gave me the great honor of saying I was the ‘Explainer in Chief.’ Folks, I thought and thought about it, and I don’t know what to say"

Imagine if Clinton was running in this, the right would be all over the place like they were with Biden.

Trump is not only a moron, he is an old moron.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,553 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

No none of that matters to me. I suspect it doesn't matter to anyone here either. Trump has been a grand soap opera for people on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,045 ✭✭✭Christy42

I would expect she would have been asked to delay any official backing to November to maximize impact. Maybe October to give people time to register.

The real weapon of her endorsement would not be in changing minds but in getting people out to actually vote which is generally a deathknell for Republican candidates chances.

How do you know it doesn't matter to anyone here?

• Advertisement

Matters plenty to me, I'll be voting in that election along with a lot of my neighbours here in Ireland.

If it doesn't matter to you, why are you in the thread?

Advertisement