Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vice President Kamala Harris vs Donald Trump 2024

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Rawr

Ha….Surprisingly quiet and civil here this morning. No declarations of how "Comrade Kamala" proceeded over a "vomit enducing" DNC.

I haven't listened to her speech yet, but the vibes I'm reading is that it went well. I guess MAGAworld need to fomulate a new attack and in the meantime are focusing on other important party-political issues such as….poking fun at Walz' kid? (FFS MAGA-folk, do you not understand yet why people tend to not like you?)

It delights me no end that Kamala currently lives rent free in Donnie's head. Hell, if Donnie's head had been a New York apartment that he ran with Fred Trump, she wouldn't even be allowed to rent there. The irony.

So let him ring and moan to his Fox & Only Friends and ignore the reality of this week. It was a good week for the Democrats. I was a good week for the Harris ticket. It was a good week for America as a whole…also a good week for those of us around the world who value Western Liberal Democracy.

She's got a good shot here, and I feel there's an even better shot if the whole "Team Harris" includes a lot of now energised and motivated people on the ground who can get the vote out. The DNC helped this I feel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,305 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The primary source of that sort of declaration has been threadbanned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 548 ✭✭✭RickBlaine

i don't always agree with Jake Tapper but he is on the money here:

https://x.com/jaketapper/status/1826639718119027143

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,296 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Kennedy has withdrawn his name.

Some may comment thats a boost for Trump, but at 3% polling I honestly think it makes no odds.

Now its a straight fight, a straight choice. Self-serving proto-fascism, or cosy liberalism.

My personal politics would be neither extremes, but all things considered, I'd be voting for Harris.

And I think thats whats going to happen in the swing states. I think Harris will carry all bar North Carolina.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

I dont agree with what this guy is saying…. But I do like his energy levels

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,929 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

I say this as a man in his 40s with no obvious special needs, if I was witnissing my father accept the nomination for Vice President candidate of the USA, I'd probably shed a few tears myself.

I remember watching the rugby with my dad a couple of years ago and it announced the next game coming up was the womens game. He said he doesn't like watching womens sports because they always cry whether they win or lose. I said to him "Do you not remember Gazza?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,065 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Watching clips of Kamala's speech for the first time, she was a lot better than I had expected. Powerful delivery and struck the right note a good few times : I can see why people were impressed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Rawr

I'm also wondering if a lot of the RFK voters are people who couldn't bring themselves to vote for Trump, but didn't want the Democrat either. If their attitude is to not vote for Trump, then the other options could be:

• Vote for Harris
    • Vote for another 3rd Party canditate
    • or, not bother voting.

So a lot of his 3% might not end up helping Trump at all.

She would be a decent candidate against a normal GOP politician. It shouldn't even be close between her and Trump. The fact that it will be close is pretty damning of America at the moment even if she does win.

There is one area of concern. Let's say there are two groups of RFK voters. One that is pro-Trump and one that is anti-Trump. The pro-Trump voters will move to Trump and he will gain all the votes of that group. However, most states have other third party candidates like Jill Stein. This means that all of the anti-Trump RFK voters may not necessarily go to Harris. In a super tight race in a swing state, that could matter. That's way the dems will be focusing on voter turnout.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,502 ✭✭✭valoren

Next round of polling will be interesting now it is post DNC and post RFK Jr.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

It remains to be seen how it actually plays out but any polling I've seen shows that the Trump/Harris gaps don't change a whole lot when RFK is excluded.

What was for example a 47/45 gap becomes a 49/47 gap when his ~4% goes away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,548 ✭✭✭weisses

I don't agree with your Cheney assessment… She is a neo con but not a full on Trumper per se.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,389 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,270 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

Have the speech playing in the background and she knocked it out of the park. I'm sure we'll have some brand new accounts to rant about her today though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,548 ✭✭✭weisses

That was 4 years ago and she was a neo conservative which would align with a lot of Trumps policy, but she was a neo-con long before Trump got into the white house. She did a lot to piss off the MAGA republicans (freedom caucus) since, which I find recommendable, because it meant her political career within the republican party was over.

Don't get me wrong. I don't particularly like neo conservatives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,065 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

It still looks like Kamala has the momentum. Trump has been floundering since the moment Biden announced he was quitting the race.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,296 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Absolutely probable.

Before Biden dropped out, Kennedy polled at 10% in the States he was eligible, after Biden, 3%.

Turns out it had very little to do with himself.

Worth looking at the latest poll aggregates today.

National poll of polls, Harris +3.3%

Women nationally, Harris 51% +2

Voters 18-34 nationally, Harris 59% +6 !!

Middle Class nationally ($50-100k), Harris 47% +2, Trump 43% -3

Independent voters, Harris 42-38, 20% yet undecided, but strongly trending to Harris.

Trump only retains one key demographic, Men 45+

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,548 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Ironic that trump, and his father, were widely reported to persecute black tenants, and now a black woman lives rent free in his head

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,864 ✭✭✭Shoog

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,389 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

She was pushing conspiracy theories long before Trump descended his gold escalator.

She is one of the reasons he rose to power.

She a Ghoul who can fúck right right off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,266 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Still terrifying that 38% of American women will vote for a sexual predator who has a track record of taking away their rights and has links to the Project 2024 crowd who want to take away their right to vote…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,852 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

I blame who ever decided to go with Sarah Palin as the VP pick for McCain. She showed there was a place for fruit cakes at the top of American politics. Patient zero

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭wandererz

Sorry, I was so engrossed I misjudged the time she came onto the stage.

It was 38-40 mins.

Apparently one of the shortest acceptance speeches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,864 ✭✭✭Shoog

This election isn't complicated, it boils down to the whiteness of your skin and the maleness of your leader. That's all you need to understand when considering the solidity of the MAGA share of the vote.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,156 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

This was the first news story to really light a fire under mom Belle. She sounded scary pissed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,711 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Yeah, there was serious pressure on her to deliver. Having to follow the Obamas is always going to be a tough gig, but Walz did a great job as well and that meant Harris simply had to deliver.

A weak, pointless, uninspiring speech would have sucked all the momentum out and the cries that she was simply an awful candidate, parachuted into the position due to a coup, would have gained momentum.

She delivered last night. Whether enough to make a difference to the election, only time will tell. But a very good week for Harris

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,118 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Again, I'm going to try to be impartial. I think it was a big mistake from Trump and his team to push so hard to get rid of Biden. Say what you want but "Sleepy Joe" was an effective dig. Just as effective as "Weird" is now. I think Trump would have romped home against Biden.

I wonder if the debates will even happen now. If I were Trump's team I would tell him not to debate. He's got nothing to win and potentially a lot to lose.

He is not going to lose his die-hards and Harris is not going to lose hers. But he could potentially lose more moderate GOP voters. Even at this stage. Not that they'd vote for Harris. But that they just won't vote at all. And he could CERTAINLY lose undecideds.

I can't understand how there are still undecideds at this stage but there are.

Trump's people will vote for him because they like his rhetoric. But if he comes across as weak in debates, what will that say to the more moderate GOP voters? Probably little. But what will it say to Undecideds? A LOT

Harris doesn't have the air of entitled arrogance that put so many off Hilary Clinton ("Who else are you going to vote for? HIM????!!!").

I'm going to assume she can stay on point and answer debate questions directly and coherently. Sure, there may not be specifics (NO politician ANYWHERE in the world goes into specifics about policies when asked directly). But if she can answer questions as to-the-point as a politician gets and Trump doesn't then that will sway undecideds.

"What is your policy regarding China tarrifs? Miss Harris?"

"Well we are going to propose X. Y. Z"

"Mister Trump. Same question"

"Well I know him. Nice guy. Strong. And the loony left, beautiful wall…."

"Time's Up Mister Trump"

Even if her on-point answer is Bullsh*t, it will look sharper than a rambling, tangential non-answer. If he rambles and starts going on about stolen election or mispronouncing her name then it's going to look like Biden but in reverse for undecideds. It will be nothing they haven't heard over the last 16 years! (Fox still on about Obama's Birth-cert???!!! Really???!!!)

I can see him dropping out of the debates and, for him, it would be the right thing to do.

TLDR: Trump should drop out of the debates as he has nothing to win there and only potential to lose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,143 ✭✭✭✭briany

If it wasn't her, it would have been someone else. She just tapped into an existing undercurrent. If anyone should take the blame, it would be Republican establishment politicians like Newt Gingrich who decided to feed the monster by astroturfing the Tea Party. They really should have known better.

The sad thing is that if you had Sarah Palin in the mix, now, she'd seem normal. It shows how far the party has slid when old Jigsaw, here, is one the names being mooted for Trump's administration. 👇️

• Advertisement

If he pulls out of the debate, Trump would be absolutely lambasted for being too weak to debate Harris regardless of what BS excuse he would come up with. Being perceived as being weak is lethal in a US presidential campaign and Trump knows this. I think he is stuck with debating her now.

Advertisement