Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vice President Kamala Harris vs Donald Trump 2024

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 548 ✭✭✭RickBlaine

I know more about American politics than the average person in Ireland (and most likely the average American) but I don't know the history of American-Israeli relations. What is stopping Biden, Harris and the Dems in general from forcefully condemning the Israeli response. Israel has the right to defend itself and respond to the attacks last year, but bombing the crap out of Gaza, killing children, and deliberately targeting hospitals and refugee camps is totally wrong and barbaric. What is stopping the Dems from saying this? I get that American-Israeli relations is complex and has a long history, but surely strong criticism of an ally is appropriate when that ally is so clearly in the wrong on a basic humanitarian level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Babyreignbow

She has almost said so, without saying so. Her absence from Netanyahu's appearance is more telling now following the arms deal under Biden and in her acceptance speech she made it very clear that there was a distinction between the atrocities associated with Hamas and the suffering of innocent Palestinians.

Use your mighty arms to slay the fierce enemy that is selfish desire

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

I don't think anyone is expecting them to win Texas but it's a state that could very much so flip in a few elections time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭Shoog

AIPAC would crucify them with negative campaigning if the seriously condemned Isreal in any meaningful way.

Jews also have a bigger share of Congress and the senate ( 6% compared to 2% in the general population) which means that they have a strong say in what bills effecting Israel can pass the house - they also leaverage this advantage with much more sizable christian lobby who generally will not pass any legislation that sanctions Israel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,737 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Can we not discuss this on this thread? Because you're wrong on a number of fronts, and I don't want to argue it here. There really needs to be 'facts and myths about Jewish influence' thread elsewhere, since so much scutter is scattered over various threads (Israel/Hamas for one.)

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,729 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

The US an Israel have had a long standing security partnership, basically the Americans saw Israel as a useful stabilising force against various governments they didn't like in the region

Ironically this wasn't always the case, for example shortly after Israel was formed they were buying fighter planes from the Soviet Union via Czechoslovakia which were actually knock offs of the German ME109 used in WW2

So you could end up with demobilised American pilots who emigrated to the newly formed Israel flying fighter planes built by the Soviets and designed by Nazis. Needless to say, bit of an odd one

The thing with partnerships like that is that walking away from them carries pretty significant consequences in terms of foreign relations

The US has many alliances and security partnerships around the world which afford it considerable political power. If it was proven to be an unreliable partner then other nations wouldn't be so quick to support the American viewpoint on the international stage

So to some degree their hands are tied, however there is a good faith argument as well where the Israeli government is leveraging their protection from the US to conduct a war of retribution against the Palestinian civilians without fear of retribution from neighbouring countries

I suspect that any future US president could use this to force Israel to negotiate for a ceasefire. However it's worth remembering Hamas has also recently walked away from negotiations and wars don't end without some sort of mutual consent

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,389 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Same reason Israel didn't condemn America when they killed 10s of 1000s of innocents.

It's chess not checkers.

Interests, security and more often than not profit.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,892 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/article/2024/aug/24/donald-trump-mental-fitness-campaign?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other

not that it's going to happen, but i wonder how many in the GOP are looking at the boost the Dems got by changing candidate and thinking 'we'd like some of that'.

just curious - is there any mechanism for them to eject their candidate? because he wouldn't go willingly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

Hi new poster.

Have you given any thought to the fact that people really don't like your party or the type of people that follow that party?

Of course. The world doesn't work with everyone agreeing. I really don't like the Republican party, or Tories, or all right wing/conservative governments. So of course there are people that don't like Democrats/Labour/etc.

The best assets of the Dims is to say "we're not trump!" but leaving Trump aside there voters are generally fairly extremist in the views they hold as well just more socially acceptable extremes.

What views in your opinion are fairly extremist? What are the socially acceptable extremes? What IS a socially acceptable extreme? If it's socially acceptable, what makes it extreme?

I can't defend a point if I don't know what I'm meant to be defending.

I mean look at the anti Trump/Dems supporters on here and the utter drivel they regurgitate on a daily basis…

Now you're being rude, and posters that post rude posts don't last long around here.

I can see why people would want to vote for a 3rd party!

Care to share then with the rest of the class?

Harris's stance on Israel is completely self serving one, the real kicker they the "Inclusive" party silenced a Palestinian American from speaking at the DNC alla Boards.ie Moderation style. A level of hypocrisy not seen in a while hilarious stuff all things considered! A real own goal!

I don't disagree here. They absolutely should have had a Palestinian Speaker there. At least there was calls for a ceasefire, which I don't remember from any other convention.

Refresh my memory, can you remember the name of the Palestinian Americans that spoke at the RNC? I can't for the life of me remember who that was.

You seem to have been a lurker here for quite a while if you can comment on boards.ie moderation. Care to introduce yourself? Which way would your political allegiance lie yourself?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,737 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

• Advertisement

The football match I'm watching is incredibly boring…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,772 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,143 ✭✭✭✭briany

You're right to say that it won't happen. Not only would it be a technical impossibility at this point, but also maybe half of Trump's voter base would be apoplectic and many would pull their vote. It would be a risky proposition, to say the least, to think that if, say, Nikki Haley got parachuted in, all these supposed disenfranchised moderate Republicans would come back into the mix. Besides, if they're out there, their influence wasn't really felt in the Republican primary.

In Trumpland, there are two parties. Not the Democrats and Republicans, but MAGA and the 'Uniparty', ie an alliance of Democrats and RINOs. They won't tolerate anyone but Trump.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

There is none, just to save the pointless next few posts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

You seen Haley's numbers with GOP voters? She is not liked whatsoever and never really was. They can win with Trump or get massacred with Haley. Although, even if Trump was to pop his clogs which is the only way he drops out, then it would be Vance for better or more likely worse.

I finally got a chance to watch Harris' acceptance speech. She looked very presidential which goes a long way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 181 ✭✭scuba8

it has been now shown by Midas Touch Network that the guy who claimed he would vote for trump is a known Trump supporter. They found his twitter account with loads of posts in support of trump.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,553 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

She invoked "faith" (God) in the American democratic destiny or whatever bollocks Americans tell themselves.

Bonkers.

Was this the first ever speech you’ve watched from any kind of politician in America?

• Advertisement

Not often no. And so that's why it seems even more bizarre when you hear them speak in 2024 about God, faith and American democracy all in the same context.

And the people here think Harris is the sane one.

This god complex Americans have filters into their attitudes on foreign matters.

In comparison to Trump, yes she is the sane one.

But she's the one likely to be US president, not him.

Shouldn't Irish people question the bizarre statements in her speech particularly invoking "faith". Is she, like Biden, going to perpetuate American exceptionalism and further lead to more carnage in the Middle East over the next few years?

It's bonkers and a telling insight into the American psyche.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭wandererz

"Faith" is resonated in your mind because that's the way you want to think. You translated that to "God".

It could just as easily have been the word "Belief". Would you also have translated or swiped that for "God"??

Faith/Belief in Kamala Harris

Faith/Belief in the Democratic Party

…See how that works?

Hmmm, you’re making a pretty tame attempt at smearing Harris here, especially when every single presidential candidate will mention those topicss. Compared to Trump, yes, she is very much the sane one.

The God complex with America…yeah, welcome to 2024.

There is a large portion of the American public, especially in the south, that are deeply religious. Whether or not the candidate is actually devout, their major speeches always include mentions of God and faith as a political strategy to appeal to such voters. It is quite normal.

• Advertisement

Which part is a smear? And if it's a smear why haven't you corrected me on it?

Advertisement