Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vice President Kamala Harris vs Donald Trump 2024

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,589 ✭✭✭jackboy

This is a US election, that sort of appropriate sensible behaviour does not work.

She really lacks presence and also comes across as vacuous. She will need to have a good campaign to win.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,136 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

and I think an A10. He’s flown a lot but it’s been hard to find a list. 39 air combat missions in Desert Storm

• Registered Users Posts: 83,136 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

"The problem with JD Vance is he has no conviction, but I guess his running mate has 34." What a line!

https://www.mediaite.com/tv/kentucky-gov-andy-beshear-accuses-jd-vance-of-stolen-hillbilly-valor-total-phony/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,712 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

F/A-18 Super Hornets.

She really lacks presence and also comes across as vacuous. 

You must be looking at different videos to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭AllForIt

RTE's news coverage is so biased. Fergal Bowers made a big deal about Trump calling her 'Laffin Kamala' at his rally, then immediately showed a clip of Trump saying that the Dems misled the public about Biden's health, which is completely true. I'd hardly call any of that 'dirty' as Bowers said.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,060 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

”Dirty” is subjective I guess - most of the posts in this and any other thread are mostly gonna be about killing time before the nominations are made official in August - I wouldn’t be worrying about what Fergal Bowers or indeed RTÉ have to say - their opinion doesn’t matter a damn -I’m probably gonna post less over coming weeks as too many short term rabbit holes to go down before the main event kicks off - I’m exhausted already - need a holiday 🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 13,849 ✭✭✭✭briany

Well, firstly the chatter is that if the Democrats would only pick someone who wasn't quite possibly going senile, they'd be a shoe-in for the election. Well, here we are. Is the question of age going to be swapped out with equal hand-wringing over a perception of vacuousness, and are those equal concerns? I don't really think so.

Now, I have said that Kamala would be as difficult an election prospect as Biden, but that's more because she just represented the status quo, doesn't have much presence as you note, and hasn't really been out front much during Biden's tenure. On the other hand, her emergence to the fore has created a welcome buzz and finally put a cocky Trump campaign a bit on the back foot. It's really up to her if she and her team if she can dig deep and capitalise on this bit of momentum.

I don't think the American people are that adverse to the idea of the VP being a strong politician or potentially overshadowing the nominee. In 2008, the Republican party's ticket was electrified by the addition of Sarah Palin. McCain still lost, but her emergence was a shot in the arm to his campaign.

Harris needs to keep the buzz going. Get a strong VP and take some more of the wind out of Trump's sails.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,453 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Harris/Ipsos Poll, showing Harris already ahead of Trump, 44% v just over 42%.

Yeah I really wouldn't be paying much attention to Fergal Bowers or RTE in general. Fergal is just trwading water over in 'Merica for the next few weeks. If Harris picks her VP before the DNC, that will be a newsworthy item. Otherwise it will be Trump rants and Kamala Harris was in Iowa today.

The good news for those of us with a keen interest is there will be a bit of a lull between now and the DNC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,285 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Encouraging but need to see if it is reflected in swing states.

Can we expect fake democrat Kennedy to drop out given he is hurting his boss Trumps chances:

When voters in the survey were shown a hypothetical ballot that included independent presidential candidate Robert F. Kennedy Jr., Harris led Trump 42% to 38%, an advantage outside the margin of error. Kennedy, favored by 8% of voters in the poll, has yet to qualify for the ballot in many states ahead of the Nov. 5 election.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭rogber

Looks like Don has shot himself in the foot by emphasising Biden's weakness and now facing Harris he is set to lose

She can do what she wants when she becomes president - but baby and bath water comes to mind - Biden has had a very close circle of confidents and she’s gonna have to ask them for support over the coming months - reconcile Democrats would be my advice for the moment - plenty of time for cleaning out the fireplace after the election

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭nachouser

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/live/2024/jul/23/kamala-harris-says-she-is-looking-forward-to-accepting-democratic-nomination-as-she-secures-support-of-enough-delegates-live#top-of-blog

Good speech. The last 10 mins are pretty much on the nose.

"“Before I was elected vice-president, before I was elected United States senator, I was elected attorney general of the state of California, and I was a courtroom prosecutor before then,” Harris said.

“And in those roles, I took on perpetrators of all kinds: predators who abused women, fraudsters who ripped off consumers, cheaters who broke the rules for their own gain. So hear me when I say, I know Donald Trump’s type.”

The crowd loved that line, and Harris kept at it:

And in this campaign, I promise you, I will proudly put my record against his any day of the week.

As attorney general of California, I took on one of our country’s largest for-profit colleges that was scamming students. Donald Trump ran a for-profit college that scammed students. As a prosecutor, I specialized in cases involving sexual abuse. Well, Trump was found liable for committing sexual abuse.

As attorney general of California, I took on the big Wall Street banks and held them accountable for fraud. Donald Trump was just found guilty of fraud on 34 counts.

Let’s also make no mistake, this campaign is not just about … Donald Trump. This campaign is about who we fight for. This is about who we fight for."

• Registered Users Posts: 33,715 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Again, Hillary was deeply unpopular, and in many cases outright hated. Not just by the GOP, but by Dem voters too.

While Harris failed in her own Presidential campaign before, that was because there were better Dem candidates, mostly Biden, but also at the time Sanders and Warren. With all else being equal, Harris didn't get the votes or attention they did.

But now, all else is not equal. Biden won the primaries with Harris as his VP, and with Biden stepping down Harris is the presumptive nominee. There were no other candidates even putting their name forward once Biden stepped down as far as I know, once Harris announced everyone is throwing their support behind her. If there had been a full Primary right from the start had Biden not planned on running again, she still would have had a headstart as the incumbent VP, but maybe she wouldn't have won.

Regardless, she simply doesn't have the hatred and dislike that Clinton did, and while Biden was felt to be the better option in 2020, the support Harris has now gotten shows she's the preferred candidate instead of Biden for 2024.

Marc Lotter- Strategic Coms Director Trump 2020 campaign

On CH4 News this evening:

Very entertaining - a few quotes:

World is in chaos because of them (Biden and Harris)

Trump is still the fighter- meanwhile you have Harris who’s soft on crime and no amount of lipstick can change that

with the 100 million dollars raised in last 24 hours she’s gonna change her life story - meanwhile I’m sure the Trump camp will also spend money telling people how she explained the Ukraine situation as “Ukraine is a small country which is next to Russia which is a big one”- that’s your next commander in chief if the democrats have their way.

I hope you enjoyed my typing out verbatim - for that alone give me a thanks 🤪

is reportedly planning

No sources quoted. I will be taking articles like this with a pinch of salt.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,722 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Such stories would have to be seen in the context of a city full of wannabe politicos and similar who would sell their mother to get within a whiff of a job in the administration.

One man's astronaut is another man's space cadet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

The world is most certainly in chaos. We are as close to WW3 as we have ever been and the Presidency is in disarray. IF we get to November without an escalation of one or more conflicts or a financial crash I'd be happy.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ronjo

• Registered Users Posts: 13,849 ✭✭✭✭briany

@Oscar_Madison

meanwhile I’m sure the Trump camp will also spend money telling people how she explained the Ukraine situation as “Ukraine is a small country which is next to Russia which is a big one”- that’s your next commander in chief if the democrats have their way.

OK, but they'll also need to spend more money trying to hide the time Trump said, "No, I won't protect you. In fact, I'd encourage them to do whatever the hell they wanted!"

I find it affords the skin a lovely, healthy, orange glow.

just for the record and in case of confusion in the way you quoted the post/ all of that was the words of Marc Lotter- Strategic Coms Director Trump 2020 campaign- not mine

• Registered Users Posts: 8,811 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Crazy.. The world will be in complete chaos if and when Trump/Vance get elected.

The complete breakdown of the old world order, undermining NATO, the UN, WW2 allies and institutions basically, international agreements under T/V … the purge of long serving and experienced diplomatic staff, reorganisation of multiple government depts and contracts…

He captained the Space Shuttle on 3 different missions into space.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,501 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

44-42 is practically a dead heat within the Ametican system though, even leaving aside MoE issues. Very possible if that is replicated on polling day Harris could sneak the popular vote but lose in the electoral college.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Hopefully K Harris can get the focus on polices and reach out to the non committed. Trump has no polices and she has to show that ,his base is his base so will have to forget about them .Trump didn't win the popular vote either time I know that's not the winning of it but potentially there are more non Trump voters than pro so she has to get them to come out and vote .

Advertisement