Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vice President Kamala Harris vs Donald Trump 2024

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,178 CMod ✭✭✭✭Fathom

You claim that GovTrak labeled Harris as the “Most Liberal” in 2019. Further you claimed “That is not subjective.” Are you merely pointing to what was claimed by GovTrak, or did you go into depth and examine the methodology used by them and found that their research design was empirically objective and not subjective before stating “That is not subjective?”

If you didn’t first examine GovTrak’s methodology, how would you know that they didn’t use in whole or part a qualitative, subjective research design, consequently making a “That is not subjective” claim problematic?

The above may have implications for the merit of your conclusions: “That is certainly not a Donald Trump lie. It is factual.”

• Registered Users Posts: 11,608 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

America is basically founded on a revolution that revolved around racism.

Trump himself, took an advert out in the paper calling for the execution of the Central Park five. And there are newspaper reports of how rotten he was to black tenants when he was a landlord in NY.

Throwing any kind of race card during this will just backfire on the republicans, badly.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,183 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Uh huh… got a lot of questions about your algorithm. Twitter is rot. Anyway.

Posts 38 second clip of a longer police interaction, lacking much context.

Also the clip doesn't evidence the police requiring special weapons to subdue the suspects. The cops were not exactly 'militarized' as described in your post. Just handguns and the odd rifle.

This incident doesn't support the argument that police need to be militarized or have armored vehicles at all. These police have standard equipment and the minimum amount of competent training (unlike this guy) (or these guys). You also arguably don't need this many cops for these 3 kids. There are also many social initiatives we can take before kids are ever walking around with guns at a parade in the first place. I think this incident doesn't disprove Kamala's 2020 argument:

“We need to have this conversation and critically examine and understand this is not working,” …“It’s not working. So, this is an important conversation and not just a conversation – cause to your earlier point, can’t just be about talk. It has to be about forcing change.”

“Part of what we have to do here is also look at the militarization of police departments and, and the kind of money that is going to that. And we need to demilitarize police departments,” Harris said. “At its core, one of the issues that I think we should all agree on is that it is old thinking. It is outdated and is actually wrong and backward to think that more police officers will create more safety.”

“In many cities in America, over one third of their city budget goes to police. So, we have to have this conversation. What are we doing? What about the money going to social services? What about the money going to helping people with job training? What about helping with the mental health issues that communities are being plagued with for which we’re putting no resources?”

In the same interview, Harris added she didn’t support “getting rid” of police.

“We have to be practical about this,” she said.

“For too long, the status quo thinking has been, you get more safety by putting more cops on the street,” Harris added. “Well, that’s wrong, because by the way, if you wanna look at upper middle class suburban neighborhoods, they don’t have that patrol car.”

Harris, citing suburban communities, said that true safety comes from well-funded schools, homeownership, thriving small businesses, and access to health services – not increased police presence.

https://www.cnn.com/2024/07/26/politics/kfile-kamala-harris-praised-defund-the-police-movement-in-june-2020/index.html

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭Redliketoast

Yea its true. Dems and reps are just as guilty. Until recently the dems were know as the slave party but that's nothing to do with harris and Trump.

Trump has a strong black vote. Harris had a pretty bad black following when she was prosecutor.

I think that will shift in harris' favour of course.

But I dont think anyone should be playing any race card. The race topic came up as the accusation was that police are inherently racist and that's why it is good that harris wants to cut their funding. Odd reasoning byt here we are.

Anyway that's enough convo for me today. Take care peeps. I truly hope I haven't offended anyone. I know it can be intense at times but i actually enjoyed the in here debate today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭wandererz

Phew. Thank feck for that.

• Advertisement

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,178 CMod ✭✭✭✭Fathom

Does the Irish garda normally carry guns when on normal patrols in Galway or wherever? When I was in Sterling Scotland awhile back, I chatted with a policeman who was not carrying. He told me that, although trained, he had never needed one. And he was in service for many years.

After crossing back across the pond to Harris’ California, I was curious about the differences between Scotland and California policing. Chatted in our local coffeehouse with a friend that’s a CJ major at university. He said that the major difference was that Scotland exhibited the community policing model, where police wore out a lot of shoe leather walking about the community with the people they served. They were heavily involved with folks on a day to day basis developing friendly relationships, which allowed them to see the smoke before a fire.

In California they didn’t exhibit the community service model, and instead of mostly walking about their community, it was hard to get them out of their squad cars and SUVs. In Santa Ana where they have thousands of teenage gang members, according to Dr Del Kelly of Cal State LA, the gangs identified by their colors treat the police like another powerful gang and consequently avoid them. And of course, the police in America are armed to the teeth, unlike Scotland.

So when former California Attorney General Harris wanted to review law enforcement, she was looking for a better way, which may result in a different approach and allocation resources, but defunding police was not one of them as erroneously claimed by Vance.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭highpitcheric

Yes it does.

You have 3 young lads with outstandingly lethal modified weapons. Weapons intentionally modified with specific design to be above the lethality of some run of your regular out of the box pistol/firearm. How they got them is a case in itself.

That is just a single indicator of a wider culture. Theres plenty more where that came from, a lot more than 38 seconds of content like that out there.

And that wider culture would most certainly have you looking for the maximum available protection. Were you only in the cops shoes, who must face that kind of insanely dangerous situation on any given day of the year. Or perhaps in the shoes of their loved ones. You would maybe understand why.

Ive watched plenty of police cam videos, and alas some of them finish with a freeze frame and a commentary about how the officer was ambushed, or missed something, and finito, they didnt make it. Dead.

So that was really the entirety of the point of the post I made, that you can't blame them for wanting to be as militarized as possible. Any human being with a survival instinct, and being in their place would do the same. Thats why I made the post, its not a political post, its merely a bit of common sense in a thread where some of you are clearly losing your reason.

I sought out the video so thats me looking for stuff, not my algorithym, which btw suggest plenty of stuff from channels which looked like they might have good content, but later get unsubbed.

Though much flawed, X is great for finding interesting content. Its freeing, great for self expression without any fear of little ninnys and tell tales.

PS link dumping and highlighting, and screenshot uploading looks fancy but it doesnt mean change the facts and logic.

Thats what tabloids do when they have to hype nothing into something.

But that was Harris' entire thesis: instead of militarizing the police we address the 'culture,' as you put it. Long before it gets to guns, and children carrying them.

So no this incident doesn't indicate a justification for militarizing the police, and the police handled the incident without needing to be militarized. It shows they do not need to be 'as militarized as possible' even when the suspects have a gun, or a semi automatic gun, or an illegal machinegun.

Rich of you to accuse me of "linkdumping" when you linkdumped this tweet and keep sensationalizing, highlighting what weapons the kids brandished while overstating what equipment the police have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭applehunter

Trump is badly advised if this is what he thinks happened.

The more Trump plays to Israel and Jews in general the worse his chances get.

He should stick to what made him popular.

Basically, White Americas concerns.

You cant preempt the culture when its already the reality, now can you. The guns are there now. Today.

Theres no "long before" available right now. Maybe if you had a delorean your answer might make sense.

But you dont. So it doesn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭Shoog

How did Israel manage to be more hated than Iran.

You don’t reverse the cultural rot with militarist defeatism either. Jesus wept.

Plenty of countries with plenty of guns don’t have this same cultural issue.

Turning American cities into government warzones isn’t a solution to fixing the underlying problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,360 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Trump got 8% of the black vote in 2016 and 12% in 2020. He does not have strong black vote no matter what the "media" you consume will try telling you.

Romney nearly got as much of the black vote ie 6% as Trump got against Hillary and Romney was running against a black president..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,237 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

That staged phonecall from the Obamas was cringe central.

Maybe it is, maybe it isn't.

But you can understand why those on the front line might like to have maximum equipment. Or at least most normal people can, I'd imagine.

(which was my original point, now will that be all.)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭Sweetemotion

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Maxface

The JD Vance pick is going to backfire spectacularly. The abuse his wife is getting, while surely expected, must be challenging for a person to stand in front of these people and request their love and devotion all the while they show open hostility and vileness to your loved one, and all out in the open. That will start to stick in people's throats.

Kamala was elected to VP in 2020, before that Senate and CA attorney General, etc.

in 2024 she was elected the party’s VP pick by over 95% of the vote. And those delegates reaffirmed their support after Biden dropped out. The electorate reaffirmed its support this week by blowing out fundraising records for her.

MAGA is quite desperate to play the election card here which is funny given all the ways MAGA has rejected democracy since losing in 2020.

• Advertisement

Trump is afraid to debate Kamala. Fox certainly knows it, and it’s driving them crazy:

https://www.mediaite.com/tv/fox-hosts-eyes-nearly-roll-out-of-her-head-when-democrat-tells-her-donald-trump-is-afraid/

• Registered Users Posts: 30,342 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Racists gonna racist.

MAGA Republicans have nothing to offer except hate and lies.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

”maybe” “maybe” “might” “I’d imagine” etc

That’s enough speculation. None of the reporting out of the Seattle incident shows the police pleading for militarized equipment and tactics following the incident. 🤷🏻‍♂️

• Registered Users Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭Sweetemotion

Just quoting blm, maybe you should inform them not me.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭Redliketoast

f***ing hell lad lighten up

I swear to god you cant be nice to people in this forum for two mins. Yea its totally the Right that are the d***s around here.

Truth is I could give you a load of links and stuff but just as proven earlier, people like you dont bother looking at them anyway because your more interested in being condescending than being a grown up. I wont be providing links because as I said I am done for the day. Its Friday night and Im heading for pints. The only reason I am replying is because some random person online that thinks his opinion matters, decided to keep this cult like behaviour going. You and your ilk would be delighted if everyone in here just agreed with each other.

"Trump is a Rapist"

"Yea he is"

"And he is evil"

"Yea he is"

Jesus chirst I know people mock Twitter but at least it isnt just one sided!!

Im sure they already have plenty stockpiled by now. 😁

Maybe someone will change that.

Maybe not. 🏌️‍♂️

• Registered Users Posts: 13,860 ✭✭✭✭briany

I've heard that one of the more prominent voices in the White Nationalist movement in America, Nick Fuentes, has been openly attacking the boy's wife. Quelle surprise. Who else?

Let's be honest - it's hard to expect different when Trump himself has laid into Mitch McConnell's wife (of Chinese ethnicity), calling her 'Coco Chao' and also referring to her as 'Mitch McConnell's China-loving wife'.

In fact, he doesn't even call her 'Chao'. He spells it as 'Coco Chow'.

Maybe only one positive to take, here, and that is that the last two four later C-words remind us of a very apt four letter c-word for Trump. Rhymes with 'bunt'.

But Trump is a rapist, do you want us to ignore the facts ?

If you can't live with the fact that people are calling your guy a rapist - maybe you shouldn't have picked a rapist for a candidate.

Maybe you should trying spinning been a rapist as a positive.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,342 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

In this 'story' havent you realised you are playing this part as much as anyone else?

"The only reason I am replying is because some random person online that thinks his opinion matters."

That's you that is.

And everyone else here.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement

Some of us are replying because that's their job.

Advertisement