Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Farm motor exspences

• 21-07-2024 7:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭

Looking at changing the family car here and am wondering if there is any of its exspences claimable for tax through the farm?..we have a 6 year old jeep on the farm that does the donkey work on the farm(trailer pulling,collect bags of feed,off road work..etc but the car is used for a fair bit of running around for the farm picking up small bits from vets,parts,travelling to farm walks..etc.( basically anything that just requires simple transport without carrying loads)

Is there anyone in a similar situation using the family car on the farm as well as a jeep or van and finding they can claim exspences on purchasing/running costs too?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

It's a question for the accountant really and how they interpret the tax guidelines.

I use my car for driving to the farm, collecting stuff from merchants, etc. and claim for 1/3 of the costs related to the car: diesel, insurance, repairs, etc. I don't have a separate jeep.

Maybe if the OH was being linked into the farm tax return, then you could claim expenses for her car?

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭jimmy G M

Have a jeep on the farm here and claim 100% of expenses for that. Accountant happy that we also claim 1/3 of car expenses.

Advertisement