Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post-Surgery Convalescence Period

Options
  • 22-07-2024 8:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 20

I am having a procedure done next month. I have informed my employer and know that I need a sick cert from the hospital for the week of.

The recovery time can be up to seven week. I am hoping that it doesn't take this long. If it does, can I get a cert from my GP to cover the recovery time?

Has anybody experienced something similar? Is there anything I can do before the procedure to minimise admin while I am layed up?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,041 ✭✭✭Deeec

The hospital/consultant usually will give you a cert for the recovery time before you leave hospital

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Soc_Alt

the last time I had surgery, the consultant who discharged me filled out the sick cert and prescription.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,298 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

If it is something that will take so long for you to recover, presumably you'll have to go for check ups either to out patient or your GP… So most likely they'll give you a certificate for each period between the checkups. At least that is how it worked for me in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭maneno

the consultant will give you note to cover you for certain period and you can have it extended by your own GP depending on your recovery. You will need to see your GP anyway for your sick leave to sent to welfare, hospital doctors/consultants don’t do it from my experience

• Registered Users Posts: 25,960 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I had similar in 2017.

Standard recovery time 6 weeks, but can be longer. No clinical need to see a Dr during that time unless side effects (easy to monitor for yourself) occur.

The hospital / consultant told me to contact the GP for certs. The GP did the illness benefit claim but at that time was only allowed to issue weekly sick certs, which they did - I collected them from the surgery every week. At 5 weeks, I booked an appointment with the GP and convinced her I was able to go back to work.

I believe they can now issue certs for longer periods, eg they may do a month up front and then weekly - but haven't experienced this myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 kolkio

Thanks for the feedback everyone, it is very helpful.

Advertisement