Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Adding a 2nd inverter

• 22-07-2024 9:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭

Hi All,

Just looking for some advice

My current set up is -

10 Panels on the roof

3.6 kW Sunsynk inverter in the attic along with 2 x 5kWh Sunsynk batteries

I'm not overly comfortable having the batteries in the attic, and would prefer to move them and the current inverter into my shed at the end of my back garden. I've got a 32a supply to this shed, so have ample power available to cover the inverter and charge the batteries during the cheap 4 hour window of my current electricity plan. All I have to do is figure a way to get the CT connected back to the house. I found some options online that appear to be working for others. So I'm assuming for now that this is possible.

So, my question. If I install a 2nd inverter in the original location in the attic, connect the panels to it etc. will the 2 inverters work within the same installation together?

If my panels are producing more power than I need, and my batteries are not at 100%, will the excess from the panels be exported or will my 2nd inverter grab the excess and divert it to the batteries until they are back to 100%

Any other pitfalls or downsides to this approach that you have seen or experienced?

I have an existing NC6 covering my current set up. Only the inverter that will be connected to the panels will be allowed to export. The one in the shed will not be allowed to export.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 581 ✭✭✭idc

Strictly speaking it makes no difference if you limit one of your inverters to not export. NC6 only looks at total generation. so if you got a second 3kW inverter. ESBN would consider your setup is 6.6kW. NC6 doesn't allow for export limitation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭Big Lar

I moved batteries and hybrid inverter to shed, installed dumb inverter at house with no CT clamp.

Used two Elfin EW-11's to send and recieve data from CT to hybrif inverter which have worked flawlessly for over a year now. Just limited the export to 6Kw on the dumb inverter.

When the hybrid senses export to the grid it charges batteries, so takes power from either inverter.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Thewitheredowl

Fantastic! Thanks for the input

Any downside to actually installing the CT on the dumb inverter, or you just seen no need for it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭Buffman

It would be a lot cheaper and possibly easier (depending on your layout) just to reroute and extend your DC cables to the new inverter location if possible, you can take them straight from the roof and avoid them entering the house at all if you're concerned about having DC in the house.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles or cartons to avoid the DRS fee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭Big Lar

• Advertisement
Advertisement