Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sentencing Criminal Court

• 22-07-2024 2:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi folks. I served on a jury in recent months. The case was in camera. The defendant was found guilty. A date was given for sentencing but that date has passed with no mention in the court diary of the case (identifiable to me as I know the judge and initials of the defendant). Does that happen often that the date is moved?

I found the whole process quite harrowing and it has been on my mind quite a lot. I would like to know what sentence is handed down. However maybe I have no right to that information. I do not know if the victim will waive their anonymity and go public but even if they don't is it likely to appear in the paper without names? (i.e. "29 year old man in the east country" type of headline)

I am hoping that knowing the deed is done will me help me put the whole thing behind me. Which I appreciate is a fortunate position to be compared to the victim.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,056 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Served on something similar. You have done your duty by being on the jury. There are delays in the courts system, so sentencing might not happen for a while and even then may not be made public.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,531 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

If the case was held in camera, I'd have thought that the court diary would not use any of the parties' real initials.

OP, you say you know the defendant's real initials, were the earlier hearings (when you were present) listed in the court diary using the person's actual initials?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Robot29

I just checked back the court diary for the dates that i served and it is the defendants real initials used. Worth noting that even though its "in camera" the defendants name, age, address and occupation is announced to the entire jury pool of a hundred odd people in order for potential jurys to identify an link with the defendant.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Robot29

Thanks. I appreciate I may need to let it go. Its difficult to be so immersed and never know the conclusion but perhaps thats the nature of the beast. I'm excused for jury duty for quite a long time now so hopefully I'll never have to serve again

Advertisement