Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Thoughts on Protein bars as a regular snack

• 22-07-2024 7:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭

Got quite a sweet tooth, and there's always chocolate bars in the office.

I am quite a sucker for a coffee and a snack in the morning, so rather than it being a doughnut, croissant or the aforementioned choccy bars I've been having 2 protein bars with my coffees the last while. Don't eat breakfast, never feel like it first thing.

I'm not worried about the cost, have cut back on alcohol the last year massively so that more than compensates for the approx €20 I'm spending per week on them

I'm 5'8, 75kg, doing weight training 1-3 times a week, usually twice. Looking to maintain current weight.

Usually get grenade or bulk brand, They're making big claims about their net carbs which going by how good they taste I'm not sure I believe them!

Example here https://www.hpnutrition.ie/protein-bars-double-bundle?search=grenade%20protein%20bundle

Really just curious what people think of them in this context, any hidden downsides etc.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭Cill94

It’s more protein than you’d get from a regular chocolate bar or a pastry, so it’s a step in the right direction.

However 2 protein bars is probably a bit much on the calories and sugar side of things. In fact it could be as much or more than what you’d get from a single pastry or regular chocolate bar. If you could sub one of those bars for some fruit like a banana or an apple it would be better.

Obviously the ideal is to work towards a breakfast of whole foods with more nutrients, but that takes time. For example the protein bar could eventually be subbed for something like a natural yogurt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,675 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

As with anything, it's the dose that makes the poison. 2 bars is nigh on 500 calories and that's probably more than what you're replacing. So, from that perspective, I'd be inclined to cut the two back and maybe swap something in for one of the bars, like Cillian said.

Advertisement