Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

X5 - M Sport worth it

• 22-07-2024 9:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18 sineadoc88

Hi all,

Husband is in UK with work for the next 6 to 9 months and we are looking to take advantage of this opportunity to purchase a car.

as we have children we are looking at SUVs and we both love the X5. Have seen some that represent great value compared to prices here. What we’re wondering is what is the main difference between SE and M Sport aside from paddle steering and performance?

The reason I ask is the M Sports are roughly 20-25k more expensive but look the exact same from the outside, is the price difference worth it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,488 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

I don't think children can be used as a justification for an X5 however they are nice cars

No difference other than a body kit to pretend it's an actual M car, imo. Interior would have slightly different seats and suspension might be stiffer.

I don't know what you mean by paddle steering but if you mean paddle gear change, the SE has that.

I wouldn't have thought they justify that difference in price, in the used market the difference might be 2k

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,659 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Be sure you are fully aware of the Transfer of Residence regulations and that you definitely will qualify for the exemption before you buy a car over there.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,241 ✭✭✭User1998

SE and M Sport do not look the same. The whole point of an M Sport is that it looks sportier

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,611 ✭✭✭goochy

Non m sport don't look great . Like a completely different car

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭flatty

My brother has an X5 M and it's epic, but be really really careful on the importing. You can't really blag it and it would be horrifically expensive to import if they rule against it. They are pretty sharp.

Completely disagree. The SE is the more comfortable car, softer suspension etc, better ride. They aren't supposed to be the same.

M sport is a con, I had the choice of both but didn't get one because I would be embarrassed driving it. Like saying I can't afford the M car so il buy a look alike to try fool people

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,641 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Paddle shift is a load of crap for the most part. I've it on a saloon and aside from initially (briefly) playing with it, I've not used it. It's not worth paying more for!

As mentioned, you won't scam the VRT office so make sure all of your ducks are in a row or it will cost you!

• Registered Users Posts: 18 sineadoc88

The shape etc is the exact same, the trimming colour is different, alloys are different and lower bumper is different but the difference is very minute. Stuff that would typically justify a 4-5k uplift but we’re seeing huge differences in price hence why I’m wondering what else are we missing?

Agreed. Husband will be living there and will be in his name for over 6 months which mean it’s exempt from import fees

• Advertisement

What year you thinking of ? Will save more in vrt if u import a diesel

will be looking at a diesel and looking at 2020.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Unless your a spotty teen then nobody buying a M Sport is trying to fool themselves or anyone else into thinking it's a M car. M Sport is a trim the same way Audi have S-Line and Mercedes have AMG Line. They are not trying to be anything else either.

Also remember X5s like most BMWs these days are sold in M Sport trim so when it comes to selling it on, a SE will be worth considerably less because they are less desirable and generally lower spec. This should be taken into account by the OP if they are taking advantage of the TOR exemption.

What a,stupid comment . You buy an m sport x5 because it looks aggressive /cool and not weedy like non m sport . Nobody thinks an m sport x5 is an M5 . I have mistaken x5 with small wheels for x3 and I know my cars

agreed but they’re also considerably more expensive now too, 2020 SE in roughly 20k cheaper for same mileage…what am I missing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,123 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Very little demand for SE models hence higher depreciation. 20k sounds high on a 2020 model. Especially in GBP.

What are you talking here? 55k for msport v 35k for SE

Remember there's 3 litre engines and 2 litre engines available in them in recent years, before that everything was a 3 litre.

I think x5 25d is the 2 litre and not all are 4wd, then there's 30d, 40d, 50d which are all 3 litre but different power outputs. And the 40d and 50d will nearly all be msports if not all.

I could see a 20k price difference between a 25d SE and a 50d msport no problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Do you have links to the cars that are 20k apart?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,976 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

MSport is not supposed to look like an M/// car. It’s a trim line.

It’s like saying the same for buying an SE because you can’t afford an MSport, silly.

Post an example of the 2 cars in question. Let’s make sure one is not a 40d, 45e, M50D etc

The SE line is the line that you would be driven in with softer suspension and lower inch rims and higher inch tyres etc. you aren't going to chauffeur someone to an event in an M car.

There is absolutely 0 difference to how luxurious either car is inside!

The M sport line is just an imitation of the M cars proper and that's its sole purpose, to sell basic ass cars with diesel engines to plebs that think they drive fast cars and look good.

I don't understand what you mean it's not supposed to look like an M car, that's exactly what its purpose is and what it does and why they even offer them.

What purpose do you think they serve?

Its sole reason is to look like a more expensive car so they can charge a nice premium on it , I actually don't even know why they sell them, to me it completely devalues the actual M cars but they must make so much money on them they don't care.

If I had the money to buy a brand new M5 I would be **** pissed that they let john in his basic ass 530D get a body kit that makes his car even look remotely like my 180k car or whatever they cost... It's an absolute piss take by BMW tbh

Regardless anyway to the OP , I would pay no more then 2k extra for an M sport car let alone the 25k you are mentioning. So absolutely do NOT go for the M sport for 25 k extra

• Advertisement

Dream on. Your husband has to be transferring his residence to Ireland. There is a very strict definition of 'residence' for instance. You have not read the regulations, I fear. Continue at your financial peril.

Look up TOR on the Revenue website and study it well.

Not your ornery onager

Don't talk shite, the VRT office don't investigate or give a **** regards someone living abroad and coming back regards VRT.

You talk about them like they are special branch 😂

Last car I brought in didn't have enough miles to pass Vat and the guy in arklow centre offered to lie about how many miles were on it when he filled it in before I opened my mouth, they don't give a **** man

"Do you want me to put the actual milage on it or put 7k on it to pass VAT buddy"

Not your ornery onager

….

Not your ornery onager

It is not NCTS that approves the Transfer of Residence. It is done by Revenue. They decide, not the NCTS tester.

The scenario you subscribe does not involve a TOR, so is irrelevant.

Talking shïte - haha

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,492 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

you cannot bring a car back under transfer of residence (ie tax free) based on 6-9 months temporary duty in the U.K.

OK lad. Lots of nonsense there so I’ll agree to disagree. If you like an SE and can’t stump up for an MSport trim level that’s ok, no point sounding scorned about it.

Enjoy your car 👍

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,241 ✭✭✭User1998

Transfer of residence has nothing to do with VRT staff they are just the ones who check the chassis number and mileage and send it off to Revenue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,004 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

I wouldn’t buy a car that expensive without:

Msport+ pack

Tech pack

Comfort pack

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,123 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Apart from msport or not, do a lot of homework on eligibilty. This site has been littered over the years with people getting caught out when they thought they were eligible.

Even if you get declined and win on appeal, you have to pay the VRT in the first place to have the right to appeal which on an X5, will be horrendously expensive.

thanks for all the feedback and it’s good to get a better understanding regarding the two.

I’m terms of reliability, anyone know if a 2.0 diesel compares vs 3.0?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭Wailin

After 2014 they'd be of similar reliability. But in a big heavy vehicle like the X5, the 3.0 litre would be the better choice. More refined and doesn't sound like a bag of spanners having a rave under the bonnet. There's also different versions of the 3 litre engine, ie 30d, 40d, M50d etc. Prices will vary according to engine as well as spec. 30d would be a good balance of power and economy over the others and priced better too.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Gerrymandering reborn

Would you not be better off with something like a 530d touring? Unless you have 4 kids, no reason to be going for one of those obese SUVs

you either like the high driving position or you dont

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,584 ✭✭✭carsfan2

if you’re looking for 2020 on there’s no 2.0 option available. That was the previous generation model.

The 3.0 engine is far superior anyway.

We have one and it’s a super car but running costs are not cheap. There is also an active recall campaign to replace the egr valves in these so make sure if you buy it’s been done or the issue is under attention from BMW.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Soc_Alt

….

Post edited by Soc_Alt on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭Wailin

Couldn't agree less. The landrovers are shocking when it comes to reliability issues.

very different vehicle in every way - not really same buyer

Advertisement