Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cycling: Paris 2024 **spoilers**

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,409 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

"Right lets leave aside the chapeau, panache, lit it up, showed our colours on the biggest stage stuff"

Nice little attempt to belittle people who don't agree with you.

People hear are not patting ourselves on the back because he showed his colours. They are saying what he done was the best thing tactically. Taking a gamble on creating the right break is a common enough tactic in the Olympics where people don't have teams to control.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,293 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I'd respectfully disagree, but I think your view is a valid one, but IMO this wasn't a course for him. There were a good few in the peloton who it was far more suited for. If he done less on the front, they would have been swallowed. Yes a slim chance he could rest up and go again in an hour but the closer you are too the end, particularly with no race radios, the less likely you are to be let go away by teammates who know their riders. Same as with the tour, if the three leaders hadn't been so strong or he wasn't called back by the team, he would have had at least 2 if not 3 stages but that is racing.

I suppose we will never know but without race radios telling the peloton that they are not riding away, the peloton had them on a fairly short leash. Who knows though, every other idea is a good one. If he had rotated, he might have been fresher, they would have been caught, rest up, but then it is the same risk, they are closer again and will anyone let him or anyone go?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Paddigol

That's a well reasoned argument tbf. I don't necessarily agree with the conclusions, but I'm not going to hold myself out as an expert on race craft when I hardly even race. Kimmage would have me beaten every day of the week if that was the criteria, but the difference between his comments and yours are night and day.

I just can't see where Healy can realistically go toe to toe with anyone else in the peloton other than being aggressive, having a big engine, ability to get up climbs and a bit of a punch. In a sprint, there are loads who would beat him 9 times out of 10. Wait for the break to come back and go late? Ditto… you've got some many monstrous punchy riders these days - the Pedersens, Van Aerts, VDPs… half the peloton seem to be moulding themselves in their form now. Same on the really testing climbs… if Healy sits in with a pure climber for too long in a break, he'll be dropped like a snot as soon as the inclines get serious.

He's young, I've no doubt he'll hone his skills in terms of judging when to go and when to go hard. But for now he should really be applauded for rolling the dice where so many others simply sit in.

So again (and I think we're in agreement here), its not that Kimmage was wrong to say Healy didn't get his tactics right, it's the hyperbole and classless nature of his comments that undermine his position.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

New national record for the Irish women in TP, monumental fcuk up by organisers on the Canadian time, do not understand how that can happen at that level.

Australia did the perfect TP.

Whoah that was an incredible TS.

Records going all over the place!

• Advertisement

They must have the heat turned all the way up, it's riding so fast. And high pressure outside

GB Vs Denmark in team pursuit was a real classic.

GB were so messy though. Denmark were drilled but not quick enough.

I thought Oz v Italy was a beautiful race technically.

I really like the Japanese bike too.

So tight in the pursuit final.

Australia probably had it anyway but heartbreaking for GB to have that touch of wheels at the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,558 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Watching the men's omnium highlights, forgot how mental and totally confusing it is as a sport

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

It's absolutely brilliant. Yesterday was great fun

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,768 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Some big crashes today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 356 ✭✭Raymzor

Lara’s track event is getting exciting!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭De Bhál

Elimination race...the track race I have no problem understanding

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

For those of us without sports packages: Thank God for BBC - RTE seem to have abandoned this event for GAA. Fair enough, but not even bothering to show it on the RTE News channel - they just have a 'talking heads' radio-type programme now…talking generally about Olympic sports policy😠

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

Ah, thanks - didn't even think to look there, given RTEs form!😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,669 ✭✭✭✭zell12

ouch!

Advertisement