Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slowing down/aging

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,850 ✭✭✭older by the day

Mindfulness is another tool in the battle of the bulge.

Concentrate on eating if you're eating.

Don't be shovelling food and watching TV or on the phone at the same time. Try and think about each bite

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,841 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

100% agree.

Appreciate the food itself and the work it took to get it into your hand.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,056 ✭✭✭893bet

everyone is fighting time. Convenience food.

I have got into cooking and challenging myself a little over the last 3 years. simple stuff; elaborate stews in slow cooker that taste amazing and are healthy (ignoring the red meat).

Pizza from scratch so I can control the salt content in the dough and sauce (can’t resist the pepperoni though).

Fresh baking etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭TL17

What supplements/fish oils would ye recommend. There's so much to pick from and it's hard to know what to use. Can feel stiffness and aches alot lately despite being active and stretching

Lest it go without saying, sleep is as important as any diet or exercise.

Again previous generations were lucky in that they didn’t have entertainment like Netflix and phones to keep them up til midnight every night of the week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 icklepickle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 227 ✭✭Danny healy ray

that why 10 children in a house was common place !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Dozer1

Lads I'm 42 in an all inclusive place on holiday right now could ye not have held off a week before making me feel guilty about daytime drinking and as much ice cream and food as I can handle....

But yes on serious note herself bought symprove and I have to say it's made me much more resistant to colds and flu etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭DBK1

I genuinely can’t remember the last time I got to bed as early as midnight, and I’ve no Netflix or anything like that and no social media apart from boards!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,019 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Nice surprise on the scales that i dropped 5 pounds last week as im shearing the sheep at home. Im a complete beginner so was doing 2/3 a day after work and was fierce sore . I was watching videos on the technique and one said about water intake. I drank loads as i worked yesterday.

Sheared 7 yesterday in an hour and dosed and cliked 60 more and not a bother on me this morning, actually feel great for once. I think the more you do the more your able to do but waterintake is a big thing too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,947 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

were you drinking even though you weren’t thirsty?

I think a lot of our water intake is very low. Even a Brazilian at work questioned me a while back, wondering do I ever drink water as he never sees me doing so. He’d drink 3L during work alone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

A guy that used contract shear with me had a heart 'event' during shearing one day because he wasn't drinking enough.

Whatever it was he was in Hospital for a few days.

I remember going for physio on my shoulders and neck, before I got some bit sensible on the pulling n’ dragging, and the physio warned me to drink plenty water that day. By loosening up the muscles and tendons that were all tight he said he’d released toxins that had been locked up in those muscles and tendons, and the body then needed the water to flush them out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,947 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

if It wasn’t a very warm day and work wasn’t busy, I reckon id have 3 cups of tea, a pint of milk with the dinner and maybe a pint or 2 of water in the evening. Not a whole lot of fluid really!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,818 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Went to the AI final yesterday. With breakfast before I left I had two mugs of tea. I had 4 pints before the match, a 500ml bottle of water at it, 2 pints before my dinner, a pint glass of water with the dinner, 3-4 more pints in the pub before returning to the hotel where I had a cup of coffee and another two pints. I then took a pint of water to the bedroom which I had drank before I got up this morning.

And funny thing is I was still kinda dry this morning

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭coolbeans

Agree but lots of people put their back out with poor lifting practice. The amount of time I've had the advice "lift with your knees, not with your back" thrown back at me is mad. The brother is fecked and I'm not for that very reason. I've noticed that a bad back will age you very quickly. Look after your back and lift with yer feckin' knees. It's incredibly shortsighted not to.

Post edited by coolbeans on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

I’d be sick for a week if I drank all those pints and I’m 20 years your junior.

Something is going to give from over use, it's going to be either the knees or the back - there's no escape.

I don't agree with that especially when you're forty. There's a right way to lift and there's a wrong way. Vast majority of farmers I know do it the wrong way and won't be told otherwise. I suppose they have the same fatalistic attitude as yourself, no offence intended. It's an attitude though and doesn't have to be the truth.

• Advertisement

The biggest thing about having a few pints is that you do not get bad liquor. Local changed owners a year back, new owner has improved the pints no end. Dublin is similar you get very few bad pints you can drink away. My first pints were from 12.30-2.30pm, then I did not have another until nearly 6 pm. Drinking a bit of water helps as well. I actually forgot I had a pint of water with my first pint after the match. As I was a bit dehydrated after the walk down from CP. No pint in CP so most woukd have gone through my system by the end if the match.

I only had about a pint an hour after the match Allowing for meal taxi and a bit of waiting around.

I was awake at 8.30 this morning down for breakfast after a shower at 9.15. Ate the breakfast hung around the hotel until 12 and headed home then.

Drink Coors at present but like Carlsberg as well but cannot get it locally. If I drink in the other local I would stop after 4-5.. if you are in bed by midnight you will recover quite fast.

Post edited by Bass Reeves on

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Only recently someone said to me, to look at how a toddler lift's something off the floor, they always bend their knees, no learned bad habits at that age

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,019 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Yeah horsing the water in. Did 7 today and drank 3/4 of a litre during it, every couple i stopped for a drink. Lose some water shearing. After the 7 my t-shirt was soaked... I'm heavy though so prob contributing to it also.

Lifting the right way is only part of it, you also have to be able to bend to lift the right way. I am better to lift now that 15 years ago mainly because of my stretching routine.

You need two types of stretches, one a back session and the second is leg stretching. After that a bit of resistance training. My session takes 30ish minutes3-5 morning a week.

When you build up strength in your legs and back this helps you lift properly and allows you to stand straight

Slava Ukrainii

Absolutely. A strong back and legs will set one up for a much easier second half of life. Admittedly getting in and out of tractors and pulling and dragging at things makes the flexibility you mention more difficult to attain. Still, it's worth it and we don't all have to be in some way fecked in farming.

Funny thing you do not need a lot of gear or significant weights.

I have a mat, a roll for my head, a pillow ( you heed different head support for different exercises), 2 in No of 1,2, 3, 4, 5 &8kg weights.

Seldom use the 1&4's at present and a old state board ramp for achilles stretching.

Slava Ukrainii

I find bodyweight lunges are great. Strengthens core and legs thereby making lifting with legs easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,850 ✭✭✭older by the day

100%, there are a few pubs here, and you could drink 10 pints and be perfect. I drink Murphys and it has to be good. As bad stout is horrible

• Advertisement

I drink Guinness and I'd know it in the morning if I had 3 cans of the draught stuff at home but 4-5 pints of it in the pub and I'd be OK in the morning.

It's hard to get organised but if I was going to the pub I'd try to go around 8-ish and home around 10. Drinking late is apparently like eating late and digesting the drink/food can keep you from sleeping right.

Advertisement