Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

AHB (Respond) & New Build Estates

• 23-07-2024 1:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭

Hi there,

Does anyone have experience of buying in a new build estate that also has had AHB purchase homes for social and cost rental housing?

I have booked a house in a new build estate but found out that Respond have bought 50% of the available units in the estate, with around half of that going to social and the other half going to cost-rental.

Cost-rental sounds fine as they are working people but the social housing aspect does scare me. That is 25% of the estate plus the 10% social from Part V. This seems insanely high to me.

Only thing that might calm me down is how Respond actually select their tenants. Apparently, they choose people from the housing list. I read Tuath interview people and I think I saw something about garda vetting too.

Anyone have any experience with Respond/Tuath or buying in a new build estate where AHB's have bought?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,142 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

The garda vetting is only to get the guards to advice so that incompatible families aren't put into the same estates. They don't actually decline people just because they have a criminal conviction.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭DonnieCorko

Feck, I didn't know that. Kind of **** so tbh.

Do you have any knowledge on these housing bodies in general and how they work/strictness with evicting asbo tenants etc?

How are you aware of the families vetting piece?

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,142 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

They cannot be any stricter with ASB than the law allows them to be. They can only evict if a judge will grant an eviction order. Which is unlikely for social housing, though not impossible.

The housing bodies tend to be more engaged in reacting to ASB than councils. But only if there's a chance that the tenants can be moved to a council property. But in cases where the AHB has taken someone who was in council housing elsewhere, there are very few threats that are meaningful for the troublemakers

And how do I know. Hmm … cannot say too much here. Lets just say that I've been involved in a step of the process, which let me see some things. It was a few years ago, but I seriously doubt things have changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭utmbuilder

Its the same with most new build sites now if not all, social typically in their own phases

Private houses a mix of the country's top earners EU people, Asian and maybe 2 to 4 Irish per 100 houses in the private side

If there is any available additional land be sure that it will also be developed with final stage of 1 beds for Approved Housing such is the demand

Advertisement