Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Olympic Games 2024

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,733 ✭✭✭squonk

I think any other station would recognise Timmy’s popularity and build something around him. A weekly highlights show following the National BBall league (I assume there is one) or the European championship would be great and, you know, again it might inspire some kind from looking beyond the local GAA/Rugger/Soccer club. It’s kind of sad that we have to hang on another 4 years before Timny shows up again.

On that note, a weekly magazine sports show for lees prominent sports would be great. Some basketball highlights would keep Timmy going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,675 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

It's a tough one. A new programme might help grow these sports, but very few people will watch it until the sport has grown

TG4 had "The Cycling Show" a couple of years ago hosted by Declan Quigley, the cycling commentator on RTE at these games. It was great, I loved it, made me want to get out on the bike (which I did actually do).

Only lasted one season, big shame.

I hear you! It’s a chicken and egg problem for sure but you have to start somewhere. Back when I was a teen in the late 80s Steven Roche and Sean Kelly were at their height and RTE showed a fat but of cycling. They also showed a great rally coverage show in those days, RPM which covered all the Irish rally’s. I loved it. I want a very sports minded kid because most of it was jockish stuff like the local GAA lads or the soccer team. The school did have a volleyball team which I enjoyed playing but I never found a sport for me as such. Looking at the Olympics now though I think there are a few I’d love to try but I’m hitting 50 so the ship has sailed for some however if you’re a 10 year old boy or girl out there who can literally do anything they want at that stage in life, finding a sport for ’you’ might be a great thing and if they don’t see minority sports, they might never know or find it when it’s too late realistically.

We need to push more types of sport. GAA is grand but it’s a dead end when it cones to international competition.

One other thing. I think a magazine show might be good as a lift off pad for minority sports. The cycling show likely failed as there isn’t a huge audience out there to sustain a full show but you’d wonder that if they started out with a show focusing on a couple of sports, it might have planted a seed that in time might lead to interest to sustain a dedicated cycling show. We have great Irish cyclists these days too but they’re bit given exposure and it took the Olympics to make me appreciate how good Ben Healy is. It’s to RTEs shame that we’re not hearing that but are up to the gills in rugby, soccer and GAA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,750 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Heffernan is beginning to annoy me with his ‘yooouge’ and ‘gurrls’ stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,321 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

It has been a fantastic Olympics 🙂

Can’t fault the BBC’s coverage, no opinion on RTE’s coverage though 😁

Here’s hoping the closing ceremony is as good as the opening. 🙂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,295 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Check out Eurosport / Discovery Plus for the commentary on closing ceremony if you have it... am hoping it is same pair who covered opening ceremony.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Agree, what a great two weeks that was.

Overall RTÉ's coverage has been excellent. Evanne, Peter, Darragh and Joanne all did a great job, and by and large I was happy with all the commentators, although I missed George Hamilton.

I would disagree with some of the choices - way too much golf, and I find the velodrome a bit of a slog - but you can't argue with 12+ hours a day coverage.

Only thing I really would have liked would be a "Today at the games" hour highlights show later in the night, like the BBC one. Especially to highlight the big non-Irish stories.

And really, the RTE player making me watch the same ads over and over every time I skipped forward watching things back on the app at night was incredibly annoying, especially as there was no guide to what was contained in every 3-4 hour broadcast.

Looking forward to the closing ceremony now.

• Advertisement

Guesses…

• They let the balloon above the Olympic Cauldron drift away like a Chinese lantern.
    • All the countries go back onto their boats from the opening ceremony and back down the Seine to their homes (I’m sure Tuvalu will love the 27-day journey)
    • As it is Los Angeles in 2028, Snoop Dogg and Dr Dre give us a G-Funk medley 🙂

Overall, not too shabby for Ireland.

Four golds and three bronze. 🙂

Hello there! 🙂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,777 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

A lot of them were tripping over wires or something on the way out. I was waiting for a hurdler or high jumper to go flat on their face 😂.

I dread to think what RTE’s coverage must have been like, homing in on the death and misery p0rn.

“He’s doing it for his dad/mother/brother who died last year…”

Getting strong ‘1980s Music Video’ vibes from this segment.

I’m expecting Simon Le Bon to appear at any minute strapped to a windmill.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,023 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

That has got to be the most downbeat, depressing closing ceremony in history.

Waiting for a guillotine to appear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,211 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Yeah , a bit dark , alright .

Lighten up, Paris !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Homesick Alien

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

..…Oompa loompa doompety doo
    I've got a perfect puzzle for you
    Oompa loompa doompety dee
    If you are wise, you'll listen to me.....

One thing’s for sure, watching these Olympics has been a real respite from what’s been happening over this side of the Irish Sea.

Whilst my heart goes out to the families of the three Southport girls, the Olympics has shown far more unity and tolerance than rioting English morons.

• Advertisement

Didn’t know Mark Ruffalo was a member of Phoenix.

😁

Plastic Bertrand on vocals.

More than a hint of Wolf Van Halen about that dude at the end.

10000Hz Legend > Moon Safari

Come at me, keyboard warriors!

I hope nobody goes epileptic with the strobing lights.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

No Gojira 😢

Here’s hoping the Los Angeles 2028 Opening Ceremony has a LA ‘Hair Metal’ segment - Guns ‘N’Roses, Motley Crue, Ratt, Poison… 🙂

Seine-sational?

Heheheh good one.

This is like being at a long mass 🥱.

• Advertisement

Bored out of my mind here.

I thought Tom Hanks was supposed to be jumping off a mountain or something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,295 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I would have preferred Top Gun Tom.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Keytar!

Michael Johnson and JB Smoove - seperated at birth?

I'm suddenly feeling a great urge to play GTA San Andreas.

For God’s sake Flea, cover yourself up!

Oh, you have.

Snoop!

• Advertisement

I can't hear what Snoop's singing.

Is it Niggaz and Bitches?

I mean this is all well and good, but what time are the highlights of today's cycling round in circles in the velodrome on?

I'm going to miss the end. DI Ray is starting on Virgin in a few minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

NWA reunion was too much to ask for, maybe in four years time....

Keep the Olympic spirit alive, boardsies.

Au revoir 🙂

Tge RTE coverage if the closing ceremony had she weird sound I thought. It was like they just opened their own mins in the stadium and relayed that rather than the full mix. I ended up watching in discovery instead.

Good show but the US portion seemed like a come down after the style and substance of the French. Snoop and Dre’s inclusion felt pretty jarring after the mention of a gender equal games then Snooop showed up with a ho dancing next to him and both his and Dre’s songs have some mysogenistic lyrics in places. I’m saying this as someone who generally likes Dre and Snoops music but it wasn’t the time or the place for them.

RTE in general did a good job. My only gripe is the amount of ads thrown in. It was ridiculous. As said previously they could have run on til 11 Ava did a highlights side for the last 35 minutes which could have gone deeper into some of the other stories arid the games. Plenty of coverage in general though which was good.

Post edited by squonk on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,750 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Agree there… good coverage by RTE in fairness… ads were a bit repetitive but id throw some slack there.

Anyway. the big news is Marty'The Car" Morrissey seems to have gotten the gig….. Noel hasn't gone away you know.

Who will get the Kellie gig…. will it be 'one of our own' or will an NKM insert be there.

A nation holds its breath. Its not over till its over……

I watched the Eurosport coverage mostly. They had 10 screens on Virgin cable. One in 4K.

They usually put the main ticket events on the 4K channel.

So it was easy to pick a sport you actually wanted to see.

Eurosport's one and only big screw up was to switch away from the men's golf on the final day to show the last set of the tennis final even though one of the others screens was also showing the tennis. So no golf coverage on Eurosport for the final 5 holes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭reubenreuben

Rte coverage was atrocious this time.

Uninformed commentators, too many ads dull panellists.

Terrible report from diamond park for Harrington fight.

Plus they missed Tom Cruise at closing ceremony as were on an ad break.

Why do we pay for this crap.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Why was there no water polo or artistic gymnastics on when I turned on the telly this morning 😢

Missing Cruise is kind of a big boo boo. I switched back to RTE during the speeches but flipped away again. One of the commentators is a fluent French speaker but she made no effort to translate for us. They at least translated on Discovery.

• Advertisement
Advertisement