Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Toilet flush problems

• 23-07-2024 11:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 574 ✭✭✭

I have two toilets that have a terrible flush. Syphons and ballcocks replaced. Cisterns filling to the mark but they just seem to give a very bad flush.
    Often they won’t flush away 2/3 sheets of toilet paper and often the case they don’t clear what’s in the loo all the time.
    Is it the style of bowl? All looks very normal to me. Could take a photo of one tomorrow if anybody could give me some advice or opinion. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Hi, if the bowl isn't clearing then it's a sign of a drainage issue where the discharged water is backing up in the pipe. Do you heard gulping or other noises and does the water level rise and then drop slowly on that toilet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 574 ✭✭✭ottolwinner

solids will flush away just none of the papers. Not aware of a gurgling noise I’ll check later. It’s on a first floor building flush appears strong enough but it doesn’t seem to have a great effect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,978 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Try using different toilet paper. We have that problem and really cheap toilet paper for some reason needs two flushes to go down.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭10-10-20

You have a point - some of the quilted stuff is 8-ply and does not work well on marginal piping. Cheapest is best for my piping. 🤣

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 574 ✭✭✭ottolwinner

so my toilet flush problem seems to be in all three toilets in the property. New syphons in each. The flush just doesn’t seem to take stuff away. Small amount of bubbles back up through the loo after a flush.
    many ideas? Would it it a blockage further out the line? I’m kinda at a loss to find solutions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,978 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Here's something to try which should help rule out the actual toilet paper.

Either put a load of toilet paper in the bowl or leave it there after using the toilet and wait say 10 minutes before flushing. If the problem is the paper then letting it soak for a bit first will break it up and stop it floating so it should go down in one flush. On the other hand if you still need two flushes that blows away my bog paper theory.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Mr321

Go to the inspection lid of the sewage and see what's going on.

See that the vent pipe isn't half blocked or blocked.

Flush some big buckets of water down the inspection lid and see how fast it's going away and if there's a gurgling sound. That's big buckets little amounts no good

Advertisement