Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Olympic Games Paris 2024 - AH Thread [Thread banned posters listed in first post.]

Options
1298299300301302304»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭wazzzledazzle

and on that note, a bad one at that, my Olympic flame is on its last leg too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭barry181091

I was thinking that too. The montage RTE did was better than the official Olympics ones during the ceremony.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,527 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

The thing I hate the most about the Olympics is knowing I'm 4 years older every time I watch it. My son gets more and more grown up too

• Registered Users Posts: 17,804 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

That was a very enjoyable Olympics. LA won't be as good from a personal perspective, the time difference alone will see to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,413 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Was a super games. I love how creative the French were with all their venues. No waste. Everything sustainable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭Dank Janniels

Bit of a downer there but feckit what an incredible 16 days of sport!

Irelands best ever!!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Andrew Bree is almost like Mario Rosenstock taking the piss out of someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,969 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Great finish to the ceremony - the fat lady just sang 😁

Oh now Celine during the montage, not over quite yet 😂

It wasn’t the most memorable Olympics by any stretch, didn’t get to see as much of it as I would have liked, but this threads been outstanding 👌

• Registered Users Posts: 56,497 ✭✭✭✭walshb

2072 is gonna’ blow this Sh1t ouha the water

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Great RTE montage, they nearly always deliver on that front.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭Homesick Alien

RTÉ outro was class.

Bracing myself for the post Olympics comedown tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 8,456 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I wouldn't have minded if they finished wth Celine Dion again

• Registered Users Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭batistuta9

seen that too, it was on rte news during the week & probably other sites. think it just city centre places because the events were spread out & people were probably spending there. + hoteliers complaining that they didn't sell out since the raised prices so had to reduce them again.

not sure about businesses in cities but hosting major events usually results in a massive loss for the host country.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,229 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

So another 4 years till I’ll be talking about rad skating and awesome dives etc . I must train harder , I noticed that 3 beers knocked me so here’s to 28 😷

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Trey13

Great montage.

From a French perspective: Dupont and Marchand just brought so much electricity.

From an Irish perspective: All of the medals were special but I really enjoyed watching the swimmers + Adeleke and the 400m relay competing in the classic events on a world stage.

Other notable moments: Armand DuPlantis, Noah Lyles, Simone Biles all had incredible moments when so much was expected of them. Alfred's gold was amazing too. Just so many moments to choose from!

Sport really is incredible.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,602 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Enjoyed that.

On a slightly different note I think Cruise will live to be 150.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,664 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Chapéu Paris, it's been a fantastic games.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

Keith Richards will be playing at his funeral I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

Edit: wrong thread

• Registered Users Posts: 17,804 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭reubenreuben

Overall RTE's footage was atrocious,terrible uninformed commentators, too many ads, dull panelists. And the amateurish live reports at Diamond park for Harringtons fight was the final straw.

Thank God for the incredible athletes and the bbc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

Don't ever let Jacqui Hurley commentate on anything ever again, she just makes banal tedious comments all night..bring back Marty Whelan all is forgiven

• Registered Users Posts: 26,559 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Can't. The pitch won't fit with it there.

Happens every Olympics. London businesses had the same complaints

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭extra-ordinary_

Was Eurosport for me…multiple dedicated channels for whatever sports that were currently in action.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,559 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Of all the cameo's tonight I would never have guessed that the Putty goons from Power Rangers would have been among them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,443 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Got value out of it anyway since they used it earlier today.

RTEs coverage though was a bit ****. Their permanent/in-house roster of commentators are quite weak. Maloney was atrocious describing the opening ceremony. Other bits of coverage they let run on, like the women's golf when there were plenty of other interesting things happening. The other thing that drove me crazy was the excessive number of ad-breaks, with the closing ceremony there taking the absolute biscuit. Nothing had been more hyped than Cruises big entrance (it was fairly tame in the end) and they missed it live, they had to quickly go back and splice it in. The way they hyped the Irish athletes was annoying too. Yeah I get backing your own but it gave the viewer no understanding of the realistic ability of the Irish person in said event.

That said there were high points too. Gillick was excellent trackside and nabbed interviews that RTE really had no right to get. McCarthy was entertaining, (yeah it lacked depth but for the casual olympics viewer we were not after that). Most of the ex-olympians on the couch gave decent analysis especially when talking about non Irish athletes.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,970 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I saw one TV critic suggest their coverage was very old fashioned, like something from the 1990s. Too much of the panel and too much talking and analysis at the expense of the live sport.

Watching the French coverage myself on France 2 and France 3, there was no panel at all. Just live action from whatever event was going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

The track is permanent, the stadium has hosted athletics since 1999. The lower tiers of seating are retracted for athletics events.

100412.2526@compuserve.com

Advertisement