Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Olympic Games Paris 2024 - AH Thread [Thread banned posters listed in first post.]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,524 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Because it's easiest to do when team are together off the plane. If they leave to another day, they have schedules, training, work etc.

Place is packed anyhow so it makes no difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

The Washington Post reports that it was Kerr that wanted the jump off. McEwen knew that USA needed the gold and was also tempted by sharing the $50k prize money.

Those in the know say that sharing the gold will likely not happen again. Tokyo was a different unique time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭HBC08

This would be my take on it aswell.

I enjoyed this Olympics way more than any other and I (just about) remember as far back as Seoul.

I thought the commentary was OK for the most part and I thought the analysts were excellent.I found it hard to warm to Derval o Rourke but she was excellent, good chemistry with Rob heffernan aswell.

I though the swimming analysts were very good right up until the lead in to Wiffens 1500m swim which was genuinely shocking and embarrassing.My wife is not Irish and she commented on the way they were talking was not very Irish and very arrogant. If that was an English channels build up we'd have memes about it flying around the place and laughing at them.

The ads were completely over the top both in lenght and frequency,a total p1sstake.I watched most of it a few mins behind to fast forward (except when there was Irish involvement)

David Gillick was the star of the show,how he got some of those interviews I'll never know.Also consoled Irish athletes and it didn't feel condescending or fake,he did a great job.

Missing huge moments like Mondos jump and even Tom Cruise was unforgiveable.

As always I enjoyed Timmy Mccarthys commentary.

So a mixed bag for me and RTE showing that they just arent very good.Probably glossed over a bit by the great performance by Irish athletes, the crowds and just a great Olympics in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,975 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

That’s not just something someone told you in the pub when you can quote it like that, wherever you got that from, but the ‘study’ being referred to has long been disavowed by Philip Morris themselves:

On July 16, 2001, a leaked report associated with Philip Morris sparked widespread condemnation and intense criticism from various quarters, including politicians, anti-smoking activists, economists, and watchdog groups. In response to the backlash, Philip Morris disowned the report and issued an apology for its conclusions. Following this incident, economist Hana Ross conducted a study which revealed that smoking had a significant negative financial impact on the Czech government's budget, costing at least 14,455 million CZK (approximately $373 million) each year. This study effectively countered the report's argument that there were financial benefits from smoking-related deaths.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_Finance_Balance_of_Smoking_in_the_Czech_Republic

On the subject of addressing public health issues through greater investment in sports facilities and public awareness campaigns and physical education programmes in schools, that’s all great stuff, but it won’t produce Olympic level athletes. Olympic level athletes are produced from supports much closer to home, because it’s their families are providing support, encouragement, training, education and financing to give their children the resources and opportunities to become successful elite athletes.

The Olympics are an opportunity which comes every four years, whereas preparations to be a successful elite athlete will be well under way in childhood, as opposed to the idea of spotting talent when they’re teenagers. That’s why other countries have the medals success at the Olympics that they do, and other countries don’t.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,764 ✭✭✭volchitsa

It may even be true for the US, where many people fund much of their own longterm healthcare, and private insurance funds most of the rest.

It's a very different kettle of fish in countries where the state, ie the taxpayer, subsidises healthcare.

Reem Alsalem UNSR Violence Against Women and Girls@UNSRVAW "Very concerned about these statements by the IOC at Paris2024 There are multiple international treaties and national constitutions that specifically refer to#women and their fundamental rights to equality and non-discrimination, so the world has a pretty good idea of what women -and men for that matter- are. Also, how can one assess whether fairness and justice has been reached if we do not know who we are being fair and just to?"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

They have a rugby participation rate slightly higher than Ireland, soccer would be less than Ireland at a fairly educated guess.

They don't have a GAA club in every tiny town and parish brainwashing kids into 'doing it for the parish and don't play any other sport'

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭Denny61

It's,embarrassing at times .People going on saying we have such talent.and the amount of medals we won…it s the same usual suspects that won ..all boxers are a disaster except kallleeeyyy..and take out the Donovans and carthys and no sighn of a medal prospect in rowing two brits got us gold as well. And our athletes did nothing only come close but they will be too old nxt time. So no talent up and coming ..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,226 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

we won a medal in rowing with no involvement from McCarthy or o’donovan….

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Westernview

Negative quote of the day award. Record medal haul for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,155 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭Denny61

Ya ya

RTE aren't very good or even good. They are somewhere between bad and very bad.

Gillick and McCarthy were by far the two best things about their coverage

• Registered Users Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

I’m not, no. Doesn’t mean I can’t work out that RHCP are absolutely useless. Real Celtic Tiger type band. Bland.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,715 ✭✭✭✭28064212

I haven't seen a single thing, despite both watching it live and reading many of the follow-up reports, that says Kerr offered a tie. Have you any source for that?

Tokyo was a unique situation. Competitors agreeing to a tie in the high jump is very much the exception.

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 26,569 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

They do probably have the biggest catalogue of utter shte for such a talented band. I can't think of any other band where I would have such a wide gulf in how I feel about their good stuff over bad.

Hump de Bump and Aeroplane are I'm certain the 2 biggest heap of shte songs any band I rate has done.

The act is a bit boring these days too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,934 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

With boxing off the roster for LA 2028, should we focus on hammer, javlin, discus and high jump in the next 4 years?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭Citizenpain

agree - this is the account I read

But Kerr said he had no second thoughts. “And I’m pretty sure Shelby was in the same mindset, because we just looked at each other,” he said. “And it was pretty simple. We both just nodded and off we went.”

Well, McEwen was a bit more willing to consider alternatives, he admitted afterward. “At some point, I kind of got fatigued,” he said with a smile. “I might have shared it with him. But I agreed to it and it was all good.” He added, “I wasn’t gonna go back and forth and argue with them or talk to him. He just wanted to jump off and I was all in for it.”

Genuinely, if ireland wanted to maximise medal return it should focus on a sport like fencing.

It is a surprisingly high medal yielding sport with I think 12 Olympic competitions.

FFS, wind your neck in. Best medal haul ever and you're calling Irish athletes Brits. What misery.

It has not been confirmed that boxing will not be at LA28.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,934 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

Could be cool. Fencing.

The boxing thing was a bit of a farce in 2024.

You had the Uzbekistan super heavyweight guy going back to amateur to do the Olympics.

He was twice the size of the Spanish guy he was fighting in the final.

The Spanish guy was lucky to get out of there alive.

Then we had the gender thing as well which was totally unfair to women fighters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭wazzzledazzle

The biggest issue that has been sorted is that Raygun and mates won't be there

• Registered Users Posts: 4,226 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

If it’s about medals then I would target women’s cycling: low technique sport that anyone can do to an elite level once you can generate high wattage with leg power. The winner of the women’s road race couldn’t ride a bike 9 years ago. Funnel strong stamina female athletes into cycling would be one idea. Not having a velodrome will probably make it more difficult. 2027 seems a very long target date to have one built.

But we should be doing more than just targeting medals.

Yes that was decided before her "performance" and the body behind the "sport" are hoping to have it in Brisbane 32.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Downlinz

I thought the coverage for major Irish athletes was very good if you were just tuning in for specific big events where they had actual production values and logical times for breaks. But if you were just watching a random event in the afternoon or evening the coverage was destroyed by the poorly timed ads, length of the ad breaks and unnecessary cuts back to the studio, often just for the formality of a presenter to sign off and show an outro and for the next presenters intro in the exact same studio.

It was actually impossible to get immersed in most events with the frequent cuts and then not properly catching the viewer up when they return because they don't have director control. It's live sport you can't just show it in 12 minute chunks with 3 minute breaks on either side and expect it to make sense.

The choice of which sports to show was also bizarre. I don't know how many times I knew there was basketball or soccer on and hoped to see it live but RTE were showing something like diving or canoe slalom.

The commentators and panelists were mostly good but it felt like the producers were being driven by AI with no idea what the audience wanted or how to correctly present it.

That bastion of honesty and morality, the IOC has given the national boxing federations a year to associate with a new international body "World Boxing" and leave IBA in order to be reinstated at the Olympics.

Remains to be seen what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,715 ✭✭✭✭28064212

I was at the home-coming for the first half, and then caught the second half on TV, so I may have missed something, but was there any reference to Adeleke at any stage? I didn't hear her being mentioned. I'm not that surprised if she wasn't there (flew back to the US maybe?), just seems odd if there was no mention at all - Paul O'Donovan got a call-out or two, and he wasn't there either

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭wazzzledazzle

Let's hope not. Olympics isn't a place for "trendy" past times.

I'd scrap that insta friendly Skateboarding too. Young kids bouncing about concrete getting smashed up and being encouraged to carry on. Then the hip dad throwing his shapes in the "mens" version.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,392 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

We probably should be looking more towards Brisbane in 2032 to focus on results. We may have take step back to take two forward.

We need to look at this as long term benefit and look at what it does to country as whole. Yes we ain't going solve the obesity crisis as needs be looked at serperate, but good habits will yield better results anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Tippman24

Talking about dieting, I was in Dublin City Centre last May and in Cork in July. I found it very difficult to find a place to get an old type dinneri.e. .eat, veg and spuds

Looked at menu in umptren places and all i could see was burger and chips in umpteen variations.

Advertisement