Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Olympic Games Paris 2024 - AH Thread [Thread banned posters listed in first post.]

Options
1304305306307308310»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Tippman24

I have to disagree to some extent about the comments made about the GAA being a problem for athletics. New Zealand won atotal of 20 medals and is a superpower of Rugby Union and also is competirive in Cricket. The population is less than Ireland so the GAA argument needs to be re-visited. I think it is more a case that people may find many of the sports as non-interesting. I will usually watch the European and World athletics championships and the stadiums only srem.to be half full

• Registered Users Posts: 6,996 ✭✭✭amacca

At the time there was doubt about what happened...but I have read a number of articles saying it was offered...one in relation to the US team possibly taking a dim view of it if China came top in the medals table...this was on Saturday at some stage...I assumed they were accurate

Tbh though I could have jumped the gun...its not always easy to sort the speculative clickbait from the trustworthy these days

• Registered Users Posts: 6,996 ✭✭✭amacca

In fairness to hurling it produced one hell of an advert for the sport during the all ireland final this year....it was an excellent game/spectacle...

A lot more than stick fighting...and very skillful...

And that's from someone who couldn't give much of a shite about GAA most of the time ....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,718 ✭✭✭✭28064212

RTE? I also watched it on RTE, heard the commentators saying that, and went "WTF are they talking about?". There was nothing on screen to suggest that, they apparently decided that was the case based off their interpretation of body language. McEwen has explicitly said it was Kerr who asked first: https://archive.is/gYw4Z:

"He said it first, and I agreed to it,” McEwen said

"“At the end of the day, he wanted to jumpoff,” McEwen said

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 26,572 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

How many sports does the local rugby or soccer pitch cater for ?

I love this auld shte that it's everyone pulling together harmoniously except for the GAA.

Imagine a world without GAA

Post edited by breezy1985 at

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Tippman24

In the immediate aftermath of the Atlanta Olympics, the UK Government were not too happy about the fact that the Country had one Gold Medal to show for its efforts. Their National Lottery was intoduced to increase funding for Olympic Sports. However for the 2000 Olympics, the main consideration was to increase the medal count.Cycliing and Rowing wwre the 2 sports targeted for medals. I temember in the cycling the UK cyclist lapped the german cyclist in the individual pursuit. I believe it was the first it ever happened in.a cycling final.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

There's no point complaining about GAA anyway as it's going to be around forever and is actually brilliant for Ireland, particular rural areas where there's literally nothing else.

The key is to expose kids to as many sports as possible and see what they enjoy and are talented in. GAA doesn't impede that. Loads of people in Kerry play multiple sports and that's possibly the most GAA obsessed county.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

The GAA hoovers up most of the sport playing youth in this country at the critical age. I have nothing against GAA they are fantastic sports to watch and play but they are hardly original or unique just a variation of other field sports. They should be made to pay their own way more and open up their facilities and share with other sports. The problem is GAA are too precious about their own sports..the priority should be getting young people playing as many sports as possible. Hurling in the olympics would be fun though we'd get the gold medal each time

• Registered Users Posts: 38,601 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

If you've been following the thread you have seen me say many times that I don't watch RTE unless there's an Irish person in a competition that's not covered elsewhere.

It was either BBC or Eurosport that I was watching, not sure which.

Advertisement